Different output JPG quality between Embedded Preview & Full Size in Load Format Setting > Camera Raw setting

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

enfant

Different output JPG quality between Embedded Preview & Full Size in Load Format Setting > Camera Raw setting

Post by enfant »

I was looking for convertor to convert RW2 (Raw from Panasonic) to JPG.

I tried to convert with several different option and compare to initial JPG from camera itself. If this turn out to be equivalent, I can then comfortably shoot Raw (rw2) only and convert back home to save some space on SDCard. (Currently I shoot RAW+JPG).

After play around with XnConvert for while, what I found are:

- if I set Load Format Setting / Camera Raw = Embedded Previeww, the JPG output after convert is very close to initial JPG from camera itself (color/sharpness) except size was only 1920x1280 (instead of 4592x3064)

- If I set Load Format Setting / Camera Raw = Full Size, the JPG output after convert is very dull and totally different from Embedded Preview or initial JPG camera but it get full size dimension.

It seemed like Embedded Preview have all the in-camera process built-in before convert while the Full Size option was a pure Raw file.

Is there a way (or setting) that I can convert full size RW2 and get JPG quality like when export using Embedded Preview?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Different output JPG quality between Embedded Preview & Full Size in Load Format Setting > Camera Raw setting

Post by xnview »

enfant wrote:Is there a way (or setting) that I can convert full size RW2 and get JPG quality like when export using Embedded Preview?
The Embedded JPEG is created by camera by using same process, the development of RAW is not so easy
Pierre.