PCX to JPG Issue with background

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jrmvl7

PCX to JPG Issue with background

Post by jrmvl7 »

Hi,
I am converting .PCX files to JPG and on some of the files it is producing a black background where it is nearly impossible to see the text on the document. It appears to happen on multi-page documents and the very last document/page that is generated is actually clear. Is there a setting that will prevent this or another conversion option? i am converting to JPG because it keeps the size small. If i attempt to convert to PDF or some other format the resulting documents are 30MB or higher sometimes. i have not been able to get that number down no matter what settings i try either.

thanks!
JR
cday
XnThusiast

Re: PCX to JPG Issue with background

Post by cday »

Are you able to upload a sample file?

Current forum attachment limit is 2 MiB and you will need to put the file in a ZIP or similar archive, otherwise to a file hosting service and post the download link.
jrmvl7

Post by jrmvl7 »

unfortunately the content of the documents is sensitive information and cannot be shared. i will see if i can find one that might be able to posted, however, without being able to see the ones that are darkened it makes it a bit difficult.
jrmvl7

Post by jrmvl7 »

To add to this... when selecting the PCX file for conversion it is already showing the black background... it loads into the xnconvert viewer that way. i have verified that when viewing the document through the application it is embedded in that there is no problem - only when loading into XN
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, JR.

Some of your PCX files might have a transparent background which is replaced by black during conversion to JPEG. Please change the color depth to 24-bit (truecolor) to see if this makes any difference.
jrmvl7

Post by jrmvl7 »

i had already tried the 24 color part. i have played with a lot of settings. it actually does the black pages with any output format.
what i have found that works is to set Automatic Levels to enabled (No settings), then replace color WHITE with color BLACK, then replace color RED with color WHITE. setting automatic levels changes the background to red with white lettering. then replacing white with black makes the lettering black, then i can replace the red background with white.... just replacing black with white didn't work because like you said, i believe the background is actually just transparent until i set the levels. using this is fine on the pages that have the problem, unfortunately when i do that on pages that have pictures or other colors than b&w it causes some issues. that on top of the fact that there are 25000 documents that are mixed with good ones and bad ones it doesn't make it easy to separate out to run them separately.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

The PCX format exists in many forms as shown on the Wikipedia page, so possibly the form used in your files is either not supported or there is a bug?

You could possibly send an example file to Pierre in confidence at the contact email address on the home page.