Cannot convert PNG files

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tamle

Cannot convert PNG files

Post by tamle »

I am trying to convert 3 png files to jpg, somehow, I cannot do it at all. The result is always 3 png with actions applied but not convert to jpg. I have no idea what I should have done. I attached the screenshots. This drive me crazy but it's probably my fault rather than the software's bug.
Attachments
03 Output.png
01 Input.png
02 Actions.png
04 Status.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Cannot convert PNG files

Post by xnview »

are you sure that original picture file are png and not jpeg?
Pierre.
tamle

Post by tamle »

I am quite sure, just look at the extension in the Input image. Once, I even use the As original option in the Output screen, it also return png files. How else do I identify it?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

tamle wrote:I am quite sure, just look at the extension in the Input image. Once, I even use the As original option in the Output screen, it also return png files. How else do I identify it?
Could you upload an example JPEG, it is not unknown for files to have an incorrect extension but still open normally in viewing software.

No problem with a JPEG I tested in XnConvert 1.74, not the current version, which version are you using?
tamle

Post by tamle »

I attached here one of the png file that was not possible to convert to jpg.
When I attach here, it say error "Image file type mismatch: expected extension jpg but extension png given."

I am using XnConvert Version 1.75 - windows x64 (Sep 5 2017) - Libformat version 7.10 on windows 10 x64.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so the extension is not good, it's jpeg files with png extension
Pierre.
tamle

Post by tamle »

So what should I do from now on? Maybe XnConvert should include a check to notify user about such situation.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

tamle wrote:So what should I do from now on?
If the issue is simply that the file extension is incorrect, you could edit the extension to change it to .png, either directly in Windows, or if there you have many similar files, if necessary using one of the freeware renaming utilites.

You could also first try selecting the following XnConvert setting:

Settings tab > Load format settings... > Ignore read errors

I think that setting is general, and not specific to the file formats on the tabs in the that window?
tamle wrote:Maybe XnConvert should include a check to notify user about such situation.
@Pierre: Could something like that be implemented easily?
tamle

Post by tamle »

I would even go so far as to say it's a bug, therefore must be fixed. Because the output is png when user specifically request it to be jpg. I think it would be great if XnConvert just
- identify the actual extension
- pretend the user has the correct extension,
- process (correctly) normally and
- notify the user later in the Status screen.
airiishia

Post by airiishia »

tamle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 am I would even go so far as to say it's a bug, therefore must be fixed. Because the output is png when user specifically request it to be jpg. I think it would be great if XnConvert just
- identify the actual extension
- pretend the user has the correct extension,
- process (correctly) normally and
- notify the user later in the Status screen.
I wouldn't say this is a bug. It is more like a feature request, which I would also like to be added.
Was converting png files to jpg but failed, so went searching for answer and found this. It would if the program told me the issue, but not major.

Thank you!