A puzzling result when cropping

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Daguerre

A puzzling result when cropping

Post by Daguerre »

I have XnConvert ver 1.75 running under Win 10.

It's probably easier for me if I describe a particular series of actions.

I have a number of jpeg files and I wish to crop each one by different amounts, which means processing them one at a time.

I Input the first file, go to Actions, set the Crop values and Convert. I leave the Crop values as they are, go to Input, remove the file, and Input the next file.

This is where the action that puzzles me starts. I go to Actions and instead of the file appearing cropped by the values from the previous Crop (which I have left untouched), and which might be expected, the work space is just black. If I now carry out any change to any of the 4 Crop values, even by as little as one pixel, the file appears in the work space. I can then set the Crop values to the ones I require for this particular file.

OK, it's only one extra needed action but it is a little irritating, especially if I'm dealing with a fair number of files. Is what I am seeing unusual or just something that happens in XnConvert?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: A puzzling result when cropping

Post by cday »

I think the answer may be as simple as clicking on the [Update preview?] button below:

Clipboard 1.png
Daguerre

Post by Daguerre »

Indeed it is, although it must hold some sort of record for the most discreet button ever! Hovering over it told me that it was called "Apply actions".

Many thanks for the solution.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Daguerre wrote:... it must hold some sort of record for the most discreet button ever! Hovering over it told me that it was called "Apply actions".
What is perhaps slightly confusing is that previews usually seem to be displayed automatically, but not in your case where the input file is deleted and another file is loaded...