XnConvert stealing focus

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Sandtyger

XnConvert stealing focus

Post by Sandtyger »

Hi there. I have a simple convert job running in XnConvert 1.76 on Windows 10 64bit.

Actions:
Add Text
Add Watermark

Selected Options:
Output to a specific folder
Format JPG
Keep original date/time attributes
Preserve metadata
Delete Original
Clear input files

When I run the job, XnConvert rapidly and repeatedly steals focus from the foreground program (Chrome, Word, etc). This means that I'm unable to multitask when running a job on XnConvert.

Is there a setting I can tweak to address this or is this a known issue?

Thank you!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnConvert stealing focus

Post by xnview »

could you confirm that the problem comes from 'Delete Original'?
Pierre.
Sandtyger

Post by Sandtyger »

Confirmed. When I uncheck the "Delete Original" option, focus is no longer affected.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Sandtyger wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:49 pm Confirmed. When I uncheck the "Delete Original" option, focus is no longer affected.
do you have received my PM?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
YamiNoSho

Post by YamiNoSho »

The issue still exist in "XnConvert Version 1.80 - windows x64 (Mar 2 2019) - Libformat version 7.26"
neachi

Post by neachi »

This problem is happening to me.
XnConvert Version 1.92 - windows x64 (Jul 1 2021) - Libformat version 7.91

I'm having trouble doing any other works at all while my focus is being stolen.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

neachi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 am This problem is happening to me.
XnConvert Version 1.92 - windows x64 (Jul 1 2021) - Libformat version 7.91

I'm having trouble doing any other works at all while my focus is being stolen.
you can reproduce always? "Delete Original" is checked? Windows 10?
Pierre.
slaithe

Post by slaithe »

I'm experiencing this issue, as well, though I'm using XnView MP's Batch Conversion feature. It's not so much XnView itself, but Explorer's Delete window that is produced for every single file deleted. Converting PNG to WEBP is saving lots of storage space, but with every delete operation focus goes to XnView.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

slaithe wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:46 am I'm experiencing this issue, as well, though I'm using XnView MP's Batch Conversion feature. It's not so much XnView itself, but Explorer's Delete window that is produced for every single file deleted. Converting PNG to WEBP is saving lots of storage space, but with every delete operation focus goes to XnView.
how to reproduce?
Pierre.
YamiNoSho

Post by YamiNoSho »

I still got it in "XnConvert Version 1.94 - windows x64 (Sep 30 2021) - Libformat version 7.96"

This happend when I check delete the original, keep the same path, it's like windows has an hard time catching up with the deletion, I use 16CPU cores, but an image is worth a thousand word so :

The actions are :
- set DPI to 72
- Resize "fit 2000x2000 keep ratio, reduce only, nearest neightbour"
- Clean all metadata.

Usually it happend where I use the program for more than 500 images. (I usually run it for more than that, like 5k+)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

YamiNoSho wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:14 pm I still got it in "XnConvert Version 1.94 - windows x64 (Sep 30 2021) - Libformat version 7.96"

This happend when I check delete the original, keep the same path, it's like windows has an hard time catching up with the deletion, I use 16CPU cores, but an image is worth a thousand word so :
Windows 10? Do you minimize XnConvert or put it in background?
Pierre.
YamiNoSho

Post by YamiNoSho »

Hmm not it's windows 11
https://i.imgur.com/hEmxpAc.png

It let it run in background and switch to other app like my browser, but even with a game xn keep steeling the focus, or it's call to windows deletion cause the lost of focus.

https://youtu.be/FNQyWVci0k4

As you can see in the video at 50s, i'm on xnconverter when xn start conversion, then it deletes the files and doing so, it make this pop-up windows for deletion that steal the focus, maybe because it delete files one by one, that call for well in my case 16 deletion at a time, windows as not even deleted the first 16 that 16 new ones come... But it happen even if I reduce the number of threads, it just take more time to happen.

settings are still the same.
no_running_actions

Post by no_running_actions »

This still happens, at least in XN View MP. It’s the worst. I’m sure it has a lot to do with how terrible windows is, but I’ve never run into it with other software. If you are running a large batch job, it means you can’t do anything else. You can’t minimize it, well you can, but it won’t matter - it will rapidly steal focus none stop. You can’t switch to another virtual desktop. Well, you can, but it won’t matter. It will rapidly pull you back. It’s hard to imagine this behavior has been around for so many years.

I also think it drastically slows down any batch job to have to go through this actions dialogue per deleted file. You can run a batch job much faster than makes sense for just dropping the cost of a delete if you avoid this nasty path. Which can be confirmed by leaving delete on and running on osx or Linux and not paying this insane Microsoft behavior and performance tax.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

no_running_actions wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:42 am This still happens, at least in XN View MP. It’s the worst. I’m sure it has a lot to do with how terrible windows is, but I’ve never run into it with other software. If you are running a large batch job, it means you can’t do anything else. You can’t minimize it, well you can, but it won’t matter - it will rapidly steal focus none stop. You can’t switch to another virtual desktop. Well, you can, but it won’t matter. It will rapidly pull you back. It’s hard to imagine this behavior has been around for so many years.

I also think it drastically slows down any batch job to have to go through this actions dialogue per deleted file. You can run a batch job much faster than makes sense for just dropping the cost of a delete if you avoid this nasty path. Which can be confirmed by leaving delete on and running on osx or Linux and not paying this insane Microsoft behavior and performance tax.
with 1.6.2?
Pierre.