CR2 to JPG format conversion results in loss in resolution

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bugmancx

CR2 to JPG format conversion results in loss in resolution

Post by bugmancx »

I'm using macOS XnConvert to convert a bunch of RAW CR2 images to JPEG. It is a simple workflow with a basic input and output. Nowhere have I told XnConvert to change the image resolution but I find that, images are downscaling. For example: 2848×4272 CR2 converts to 1504×2256 JPEG.

I can't explain this and I've combed over the settings.

I even tried adding an Action to resize the image to 100% but it results in the same.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks
cday
XnThusiast

Re: [BUG?] CR2 to JPG format conversion results in loss in resolution

Post by cday »

Have you looked at the Settings tab > Load format settings -- Camera RAW settings?
bugmancx

Post by bugmancx »

Great, thanks! I have found the option in there.

For feedback, I must say that the option wasn't obvious (this is the first time I've used this program) and I wouldn't have expected XnConvert to reduce the resolution by default unless I had specifically asked it to.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bugmancx wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am Great, thanks! I have found the option in there.

For feedback, I must say that the option wasn't obvious (this is the first time I've used this program) and I wouldn't have expected XnConvert to reduce the resolution by default unless I had specifically asked it to.
It is a common problem when opening RAW (and several other file types) files in XnView MP and XnConvert, can you suggest any way in which the interface could be improved?
bugmancx

Re: CR2 to JPG format conversion results in loss in resolution

Post by bugmancx »

Sure, I can recommend some changes.

As a new user the whole "Load format settings" was not intuative. It's just a disjointed button on the Settings screen that, to me, wasn't clear I needed to consider it for my task and I didn't even think there would be "action" settings in there that would apply because I wasn't seeing them in the Actions screen of my workflow. I also did not even know that these settings existed at first.

Here you've also got settings like "Rotate images according to EXIF" - I'd argue that this doesn't belong there - in fact it already exists an an action in the right-click menu, so that's confusing.

Perhaps the issue is that you need to make it obvious that these settings apply as defaults to certain actions and make this more obvious/visible when you're configuring up a workflow.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: CR2 to JPG format conversion results in loss in resolution

Post by cday »

bugmancx wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:49 am Sure, I can recommend some changes.

Perhaps the issue is that you need to make it obvious that these settings apply as defaults to certain actions and make this more obvious/visible when you're configuring up a workflow.
Yes, but how?

One possibility might be a prominent notice on the Input tab?

Or possibly, when clicking on Convert, a window to confirm that the Settings tab options have been reviewed?

Does anyone have another suggestion?