XnConvert not seeing Ghostscript install

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

beornlake

XnConvert not seeing Ghostscript install

Post by beornlake »

I have 64-bit XnConvert and Ghostscript installed, but XnConvert doesn't appear to see Ghostscript, so I cannot process PDFs.

Current Windows 10 Pro
XnConvert installed at: C:\Program Files\XnConvert\xnconvert.exe
Ghostscript installed at: C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.53.3\bin\gswin64c.exe

Do I need to set up an Environment Variable or Registry entry to make sure XnConvert knows where to find Ghostscript? Any ideas of what to check would be helpful. Thanks!
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnConvert not seeing Ghostscript install

Post by cday »

Due to unexpected issues with new GS versions for the second time recently, the solution most likely to work would be to install an earlier GS version a year more old as a temporary fix... :(

Edit:

As the XnConvert version you are using might have been modified to work with GS after the first issue, you would have to check the change log for that, you might actually need to use an intermediate version of GS with your XnConvert version.
beornlake

Post by beornlake »

Unfortunately, installing old Ghostscript versions doesn't seem to have had any effect. I tried installing gs9.27 (2019) and gs9.23 (2017), but neither of those fixed anything. Triple-checked that XnConvert and GS versions are x64. Re-installed XnConvert just in case. I even tried successively adding the bin and lib directories for each install to my PATH and assigning them to XNVIEW_GS_DLL/XNVIEW_GS_LIB environment variables, but that didn't change XnConvert's behavior, either.

I tried looking for old XnConvert changelogs to see if anything specific about Ghostscript was mentioned, but I didn't find anything.

Still looking for a solution...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I have fired up my Windows 7 computer -- I'm normally in Linux on my modern laptop and prefer not to boot into Windows 10 -- to check for a proven combination of XnConvert and Ghostscript:

XnConvert 1.83 x64
Ghostscript 9.15 x64

I'm also attaching a PDF proven to open with the above combination. :D

In case your issue has actually been due to a possibly malformed PDF file, XnView software does sometimes not open certain possibly questionable files, you might check on the Settings tab that in Load format settings... > PS/PDF the Ignore read errors option is selected. It might in fact be worth checking that, and if unchecked retesting your latest combination, before spending time installing the above proven combination. :wink:
Attachments
Test.pdf
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
beornlake

Post by beornlake »

Thanks, cday.

Definitely not a PDF file issue. Just tried your Test.pdf and got the same ("Test.pdf 0x0x0 : not a picture").

I can't find those specific versions of XnC/GS, but I'll try to hunt them down and try them out.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

beornlake wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:14 am Definitely not a PDF file issue. Just tried your Test.pdf and got the same ("Test.pdf 0x0x0 : not a picture").
Created using XnView Classic...

I can't find those specific versions of XnC/GS, but I'll try to hunt them down and try them out.
XnConvert: Old vesions, scroll down.
beornlake

Post by beornlake »

Unfortunately, still no dice. Is there a debug mode I can enable to see why XnConvert doesn't think that Ghostscript is installed?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

beornlake wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:09 pm Unfortunately, still no dice. Is there a debug mode I can enable to see why XnConvert doesn't think that Ghostscript is installed?
A new version of XnConvert will be available soon
Pierre.