Can't rename created files in macOS Finder

XnConvert Multi Platform - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Supacon

Can't rename created files in macOS Finder

Post by Supacon »

Hi, first time XnConvert user. The app is great but after converting a bunch of GIFs to PNGs, the resulting files are unable to be renamed in Finder. There's no way I can do it, all other files are fine. I can still use the terminal and rename from command line, but not in finder using enter, or clicking, or even in the Info panel. I noticed there were some extended attributes but deleting them didn't help. Rebooting didn't help. chmod and chown didn't have any affect. I'm pulling my hair out here trying to figure out how a file will prevent you from using finder to rename it.
I'll probably have to write a command line script but I'd like to understand the mechanism through which these files are unable to be renamed.

It seems that this isn't specifically an XnConvert issue, but it only seems to affect files produced by this app, so it must put some strange attribute on them that I'm unable to find and remove.

Any tips on how to fix this would be appreciated!
Supacon

Re: Can't rename created files in macOS Finder

Post by Supacon »

Converting the file again (from PNG to PNG this time, rather than from GIF) seems to have resolved the issue. My wild guess is that something about the produced PNG created an error that borked Finder somehow, as the image thumbnail wouldn't load for the affected files. Works okay now.

I'd suggest there might be a bug converting from GIF to PNG or something.