People that never come back (to the forum !)

General info, hints, guidelines and rules for all XnView forums. Guests and new users please read here first.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

michel038

People that never come back (to the forum !)

Post by michel038 »

Some people ask a question, and they never come back here, it's time consuming for us ...
How can this be avoided?

- if someone has answered their question, maybe a robot could send them an email to encourage them to read the post and reply (default email notification enable for 10 days ? )
- another way coud be to validate a submission only 24 hours later
- automatic answer for first post : "please come back here yyy-mm-dd to validate your question"
- other solutions ?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: People that never come back (to the forum !)

Post by xnview »

when an user reply to a post, he receive by default a notification already :(
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

michel038 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm Some people ask a question, and they never come back here, it's time consuming for us ...
Yes, it can be frustrating, especially when one has spent significant time preparing a response or multiple responses... :(

But I don't see a solution other than to accept it as normal, sometimes people may read a response but not post again, sometimes they may not even come back to see if there has been a response, if they have maybe already found a solution to their need. And if they do check the forum without logging in, there is no way to know that they have done so...

xnview wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 pm when an user reply to a post, he receive by default a notification already :(
Is that correct? I though there was an option in the profile to enable that, but on a rare visit to my profile I couldn't see it, although it may be there. But enabled by default? I've never received one, although I can't be sure how I set up my account originally. I don't want notifications myself.

michel038 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm How can this be avoided?

- if someone has answered their question, maybe a robot could send them an email to encourage them to read the post and reply (default email notification enable for 10 days ? )
- another way coud be to validate a submission only 24 hours later
- automatic answer for first post : "please come back here yyy-mm-dd to validate your question"
Those options would I think need to be added by phpBB the forum software platform, they have a forum where it could be suggested...

You could possibly put a request for people to acknowledge your posts in your signature, but I doubt if it would be very effective, and not if they don't return to check if there has been a response; in your case your signature is already full with links to the valuable resources you kindly provide! :D
michel038

Post by michel038 »

Yes, it can be frustrating, especially when one has spent significant time preparing a response or multiple responses...
thank you for this kind answer, by sharing the disappointment I feel less lonely
And if they do check the forum without logging in, there is no way to know that they have done so...
I hope
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@michel038

Two further points:

1. People quite often do respond to a post but only after a long delay, often apologising profusely for the delay. :D

2. One thing that you could do that might be reasonably effective, would be to place some standard text at the bottom of your posts designed to encourage a reply, maybe something like:

Please post a reply to my post - it helps motivate me to offer support... :D

I would use blue type (for example, and maybe not red...) so that the plea is noticed.

Something like that.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:04 am
xnview wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:30 pmwhen an user reply to a post, he receive by default a notification already :(
Is that correct? I though there was an option in the profile to enable that, but on a rare visit to my profile I couldn't see it, although it may be there. But enabled by default? I've never received one, although I can't be sure how I set up my account originally. I don't want notifications myself.
To my surprise, reply notifications seem to be deactivated by default:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.3/kb/article/changing-user-options-defaults-and-values wrote:

Code: Select all

'user_notify'        => 0,
'user_notify_pm'     => 1,
'user_notify_type'   => NOTIFY_EMAIL,
How to change default notifications settings
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

XnTriq wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 am To my surprise, reply notifications seem to be deactivated by default:
That is true.
I am such a "new" user, that opened a new thread and never came back. Because... I got no notifications. :(
When creating the thread, I ticked the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog "Notify me when a reply is posted".
It was activated, but nevertheless I got no email notifications (which I check daily), even there were several answers in the thread.

With the help of this thread I found out, that there are additional "notification options". There the checkboxes for "email" were not ticked at all. :shock:
I ticked them now and will see, if I´ll get email notifications :wink:

Edit: By default at least the email notification option "Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" and "Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked" should be activated. Today one is "active" in so many forums, that he can not revisit them all regularly. A created thread sould be kind of "fire and forget". It should show up (in my mailbox) by default, if there is a reply.