Forum problem? Notification for not existing postings?

General info, hints, guidelines and rules for all XnView forums. Guests and new users please read here first.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Peter2
XnThusiast

Forum problem? Notification for not existing postings?

Post by Peter2 »

Maybe it is a coincidence - but yesterday I got 6 notifications per e-mail that there new answers for my postings - and all of the new answers do not exist ...

(# 65024, 65026, 65022, 65023, 65009, 64990)

Why? Spam-attack?

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Forum problem? Notification for not exiting postings?

Post by oops66 »

Peter2 wrote:...Why Spam-attack?
Peter
Yes.
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=45076#45076]Ne reçois plus de notification de réponse[/url]) wrote:Good to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this kind of problem lately.
XnTriq wrote:I wonder what's going on with the topic reply notification feature of phpBB: Sometimes I don't receive an e-mail, but then again I'm getting “false positives”. :?
Paultx

Re: Forum problem? Notification for not existing postings?

Post by Paultx »

Same here. I received three e-mail notifications since Dec 03, 2014 but the thread shows no update.
Desktop: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
Laptop: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Forum problem? Notification for not existing postings?

Post by XnTriq »

Paultx wrote:Same here. I received three e-mail notifications since Dec 03, 2014 but the thread shows no update.
'Tis the season for spam campaigns :-\
I assume you're referring to the Shell Extension sticky. Bots often post to the first topic in the forum or sub-forum with the highest post count.
XnTriq (13/Nov/2012) wrote:I've come to believe that we should also consider this (rather unorthodox) anti-spam concept:
XnTriq (21/Nov/2010) wrote:
ghisler (Spam trap » [url=http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=20502]Do not post here![/url]) wrote:This is an experiment: Since most spammers post to the first forum, I have setup a spam trap forum. I will delete all messages in this forum and close down accounts, so do not post here!
Clo ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=97217#p97217]Delete your own post in more sections[/url]) wrote:• The spam trap @TC is both a good and bad idea : It worked maybe 10 times or so, no more…
Quickly, the spammers spotted it, then continued to put their craps anywhere in all sections… :|
- The strong point in the TC forum is that any Mod may lock the fake accounts. The weak point is that a Mod can only delete the craps in the sections where he has rights; i.e., I've rights in almost all sections, except in the “User to User” sections (in extra languages like Spanish etc.)
- The Mods of those sections aren't always connected, this leads to keep the craps for some hours… days ! :evil:
- Here, we miss a “Cleaner” member, especially in charge of the craps deleting… XnTriq-friend does this the most he can, but indeed he can't 24H / 24 !