Forum: User Password Retrieval is almost useless

General info, hints, guidelines and rules for all XnView forums. Guests and new users please read here first.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Griffin

Forum: User Password Retrieval is almost useless

Post by Griffin »

I am sorry having to tell you that your Password Retrieval System is useless if the user has forgotten his username as well. And this might happen very often. A new registration is not possible because the e-mail address is already in use and therefore blocked. Retrieval of the password and username is not possible with the e-mail address only.

Please improve your user admin system.
terryjosephinee

Re: Forum: User Password Retrieval is almost useless

Post by terryjosephinee »

As it was told in another thread you can always send a message to the moderator with your email address so he would retrieve your credentials.
Last edited by terryjosephinee on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Please refer to topic “Forum forgotten password” for more information about this issue.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Thank you for your replies. As this appears to be a problem with phpBB I find it rather strange that I have encountered this kind of problem for the first time in the XnView discussion board.
Possibly the solution to the password and username Retrieval per asking the boards moderator should be made somewhat more public.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hi Griffin (-:

In previous versions of phpBB, only the email address was required for resetting passwords. The developers of phpBB decided to change that due to security considerations. In version 3.2.4 of phpBB, which was released a few weeks ago, these changes have been reverted. I'll let you know when the update will be installed.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:00 pm In previous versions of phpBB, only the email address was required for resetting passwords. The developers of phpBB decided to change that due to security considerations. In version 3.2.4 of phpBB, which was released a few weeks ago, these changes have been reverted. I'll let you know when the update will be installed.

Good news, but Griffin originally referred to the case where a user had forgotten both their username and the email address they had used when registering, and the suggestion was to contact a moderator.

I can now confirm that it isn't in fact possible to contact a moderator unless logged in, but that does leave the possibility of using the contact email address on the xnview.com homepage...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:19 pmGood news, but Griffin originally referred to the case where a user had forgotten both their username and the email address they had used when registering, and the suggestion was to contact a moderator.

I can now confirm that it isn't in fact possible to contact a moderator unless logged in, but that does leave the possibility of using the contact email address on the xnview.com homepage...
Sorry guys! I guess I got sidetracked trying to find out WTH changed in phpBB. (Griffin mentioned that he “encountered this kind of problem for the first time in the XnView discussion board”.)

I've now added a couple of links to “Contacting moderators & admins”.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:15 amAllegedly, this feature will be reinstated in a fututre version of phpBB: “Don't require username when user forgets password
Pierre has updated phpBB to version 3.2.5 :-)