Search using forum search tool failed

General info, hints, guidelines and rules for all XnView forums. Guests and new users please read here first.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Claude2Vie

Search using forum search tool failed

Post by Claude2Vie »

Hi,

I wanted to know, where the Icons of XnView are stored at Linux. Not finding answers using the normal search, I finally took the advanced search and typed "+linux +folder +icons" as proposed ("+" heading each word, that has to be found). And the result? 2681 matches found, but linux and folder ignored (see screenshot).
search result messages
search result messages
search_failed.png (39.02 KiB) Viewed 9930 times

Finally I found the folder, asking the Ubuntu-Wiki (it is /opt/XnView/UI/icons-48).
--
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Search using forum search tool failed

Post by cday »

Searches using the forum search tool can be unsatisfactory for a number of reasons, including the exclusion of very common terms due to the number of results that would be obtained and also sometimes very short terms such as file extensions, although the option to search within particular forum headings and for particular post authors can be useful.

Rereading your post and looking at the advanced search dialog, I have myself for the first time noticed the need to put '+' before wanted terms, although the '-' before terms to be ignored is probably more intuitive.

Some time back an option was added at the top of the advanced search dialog to search using the Google search engine: my experience is that a simple search using a few well-chosen search terms is often very effective, although I normally do that directly in my web browser.
Claude2Vie

Post by Claude2Vie »

Thank you for the reply.

'+' and '-' I am common with using Google and DuckDuck.

How would you search the forum to get to know, where the Icons of XnView are stored at Linux?

I searched the forum, because I could not find the desired information in the Wiki. Now I would like to put my finally gained information into the Wiki ("Settings and Ini Files"), but I cannot login. Is there another account necessary? My I adapt the Wiki?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Claude2Vie wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:34 am
How would you search the forum to get to know, where the Icons of XnView are stored at Linux?
I would use a Google search, but that information probably didn't appear in any post when you searched, it does now following your post...

I searched the forum, because I could not find the desired information in the Wiki.

Now I would like to put my finally gained information into the Wiki ("Settings and Ini Files"), but I cannot login. Is there another account necessary? My I adapt the Wiki?

@Pierre?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Claude2Vie wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:34 am I searched the forum, because I could not find the desired information in the Wiki. Now I would like to put my finally gained information into the Wiki ("Settings and Ini Files"), but I cannot login. Is there another account necessary? My I adapt the Wiki?
Currently there is no way for users to modify the wiki, send me the changes?
Pierre.