Migrating information into XnView

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

AlanTC

Migrating information into XnView

Post by AlanTC »

I have around 15k+picture (jpg) files and the files have been 'tagged' with event/function information eg 'birthday' 'dinner dance' football match' and the like. |Some pictures will have multiple such tags. Additionally, I have also 'tagged' the pictures with the names of the people within the picture\s.

See the attachment is an example supporting mu query.

I have begun the arduous task of entering 'catagories' (ie events\function information eg 'birthday' dinner dance' football match' and the like) into XnView one file at a time PLUS I have begun entering 'keywords' into the XnView files of the people within the pictures, also - one file at a time.

My Question is: can the old data ie the tags of events/functions be migrated into the Catagory fields using XnView MP and, likewise, can the names of the people tagged into the files also be migrated into the Keywords field in XnView.

A related query is...where I have entered 'Catagory' into the files into XnView...can I select a range of picture files and alter the 'Catagory' information?

Thanking you,
AlanTC
Attachments
Capture importing tags into xnview.PNG
Capture importing tags into xnview.PNG (7.9 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Migrating information into XnView

Post by xnview »

AlanTC wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:02 am My Question is: can the old data ie the tags of events/functions be migrated into the Catagory fields using XnView MP and, likewise, can the names of the people tagged into the files also be migrated into the Keywords field in XnView.
you want to migrate the tags from XnView Classic to categories in XnView MP?
A related query is...where I have entered 'Catagory' into the files into XnView...can I select a range of picture files and alter the 'Catagory' information?
Sorry but could you explain more?
Pierre.
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

Pardon my flawed information re my two issues.

First issue: using software (name escapes me) that is no longer supported by Microsoft, I have catalogued my 10k+ jpg files by applying 'tags' of functions/evets etc eg tags of 'meetings', 'holidays', 'family' and the like. In XnView MP, those tags appear as 'Keywords'.

HOWEVER, I now appreciate that in the second tier of my cataloguing of the jpg files as above, I also 'tagged' the individual people in those jpg files.

I also now understand that, using XnView MP, I must open the files one-by-one to (1) attach 'keywords' to each picture ie the names of the people within that picture, and, (2) concurrently, attach a relevent 'Catagory' to each jpg file.

All of the above is time consuming but not impossible...I cannot see that I can migrate old data of a different Program into jpg files using XnView

HOWEVER, in regards to changing the Catagory on multiple files - can that be done in bulk by selecting all the files that have the wrong Catagory and then changing that Catagory to a different preferred Catagory?

Finally, I am building a list of 'Keywords' and I wish to delete some Keywords because of wrong spelling. In 'edit IPCT-IIM', and in the Keywords TAB and then in the 'History' panel...how to I delete from this 'History' list panel, how do I delete those entries that are wrong or that I simply don't want or need.
A similar request is in the 'Catagories' tab of Edit IPTC-IIM...how do I delete from the list of Supplementary catagories.

In summary, I hope that my immediate problems are explained sufficiently:
1. Wanting to change the Catagory of multiple files,
2. Wanting to delete from the History list on the Keywords TAB,
3.Wanting to delete from the Supplementary catagories panel on the Catagories TAB.

Cheers, and thank you,
AlanTC.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Hello,
We need to understand each other well, and to do this we need to define a few things.
Tagging photos commonly means "adding keywords" although tagging is a broader term and can include location data, captions, copyright, people etc...
JPG photos accept several forms of tagging, described by standards (exif, iptc, xmp)
In the 80's, exif was used, 15 years later IPTC, and more recently XMP.
You must first specify what metadata you find in your photos so that we can develop a method to retrieve as much of it as possible automatically.
Use the IPTC tab, or the XMP tab, or the ExifTool tab (in Info pane ) to find out where these data are stored.

XnViewMP treats keywords very differently from other data.
XnViewMP can easily read iptc and xmp keywords. (Settings, Metadata, Import ...) . Just use the "Add" button (in Settings, Catalog) and indicate the folders to be read, so that these keywords are included in the XnViewMP catalogue.
Then the two panels "Categories" and "Category Filter" allow you to use the catalogue, which is a database in XnViewMP .
At first, do not modify the keywords with XnViewMP, because you need to get familiar with the settings and the functioning of the categories, I'll talk about this in a next post.
Once you have learned how to use categories to work with keywords, you will see that it is much more convenient than using the "Edit IPTC" or "Edit XMP" windows.

For the old exif user data (exif keywords, exif comment, exif copyright) it is less easy, I think it is better to copy them to the iptc and xmp areas. (Tools, Metadata, Transfer, or using ExifTool )

People's names have recently been added to XnViewMP, and for now you can only read them but you can't conveniently edit them. (Person names are only stored in xmp, but several types exist , what are the names of the metadata containing them that you can see with ExifTool?
Category filter provides a feature to filter on person names.

Other metadata are not written into a database , but can be edited
Example : Select a set of photos, Tools, Metadata, Edit IPTC ... add a title ... use "save all" button (Settings are in the last tab of this window) etc ...
"Category" IPTC field in this window is not at all linked with "Categories" tool of XnViewMP ; It's only an old IPTC metadata that no one uses anymore.
Edit XMP has a similar usage for xmp metadata.

The quick search field can be used to find terms in IPTC metadata of the displayed photos in the browser (Settings, Browser, Quick Search)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Last edited by michel038 on Wed May 26, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Change keywords by using categories
Here is an example
kw1.png
kw1.png (129.53 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

You can see IPTC keywords (landscape, Mountain) , XMP keywords (named Subject) and XMP hierarchical keywords (landscape is the parent kw for mountain)

In "Settings, metadata", enable "export categories to XMP subject and IPTC keywords" and the two following boxes.
Select a picture, check a category in "Categories" pane , unselect the photo . XMP and IPTC keywords are added in the metadata of this photo.

Note that writing keywords is only effective when you check a category box and release the selection.

This means that to edit keywords with the categories pane, you must respect these two actions: check and release .

Ex Replace "cats" keyword in many photos by "Animal" (parent keyword) and "Cat"
1) In "Match" drop down menu, select whole database (top of the categories filter pane)
2) In categories filter, select "cats"
3) wait a while and select all the photos found
4) create "Animal" category, and "Cat" sub category (in categories pane or in categories filter pane)
5) In Categories pane, uncheck cats (all photos are still selected)
6) check Animal and Cat
7) release selection
Keywords are updated.
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

Hi Michael038,

WOW, thanks for your detailed response and information. It is clear that I have a fair bit of learning to undertake and I will pursue this right away.

I'll see how I go and maybe I'll have to come back to the forum in due course

Thanks again, AlanTC.
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

Hi Michael38,

Continuing from your post 27 May 2021 @ 8.06 am...

re "Use the IPTC tab, or the XMP tab, or the ExifTool tab (in Info pane ) to find out where these data are stored."[/b]

Before entering into these posts, I have manually edited around 1,000 of my 4,000 jpg files using "edit/edit/IPTC for the Keyword and Catagory fields and it looks like that the edited data is stored in XMP.

I then looked at your paragraph:
"XnViewMP treats keywords very differently from other data...."

But I seem to be getting stuck on your instruction "(Settings, Metadata, Import...)" is there some further instruction after "Import...". (See screenshot attached).

Neither can I find an "Add" button in Settings, Catalog (See screenshot attached).

I think that I need to get these two points resolved/clarified before I can move forward with your other instructions?

I really appreciate your time and assistance,

AlanAT.
Attachments
Capture XnViewMP settings megadata.PNG
Capture XnViewMP settings catalog.PNG
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Hello,
But I seem to be getting stuck on your instruction "(Settings, Metadata, Import...)" is there some further instruction after "Import...". (See screenshot attached).
Neither can I find an "Add" button in Settings, Catalog (See screenshot attached).
Sorry, I was still using an older version. In Settings, catalog, the "Add" button is now named "Import folder"

With "import" option enabled, the "Import folder" button makes XnViewMP read existing keywords in photos of specified folders,
Keywords that can be read are iptc :keywords, xmp:subject, xmp:hierarchicalsubject.
Ratings (stars) and Color labels (if existing) are also read and handled in XnViewMP database (=Catalog)
When XnViewMP is closed, the catalog is saved in xnview.db file, this file can be copied for backup.
When this catalog is OK, you can search, filter photos using categories panes ....

Next, enable the "export" option (and the "create XMP" or "create IPTC" option) so that the "Categories" tool can write the corresponding keywords to the photos.

Remember that the IPTC category field has nothing to do with the XnViewMP categories.
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

Hi Michael38,

With your help in Posts 27th and 31st May 2021 I have managed to import megadata into my pictures.

Prior to this 'import' I had manually entered 'keywords' and 'catagory' into around 1k of my pics using 'Edit IPTC and Edit XMP' - some of which I have done with incorrect spelling. Using Catagories Filter, I can ID those that need correction - can you help me to correct the incorrect spelling on the individual pics and then how to delete the incorrect catagories and keywords showing in the Catagories Filter panel. Perhaps the answer to this query will be inside your post 21st May 2021 "XnViewMP treats keywords very differently...more convenient than using the 'Edit IPTC' or 'Edit XMP' windows".

I also read XnView Wiki which contains much detailed information and instruction...maybe you can simply direct me to the appropriate Help in XnView Wiki?

With your help, and going forward with Wiki, I feel that I am getting better in working with XnView MP.

But, I cannot find how to manage screen layout when opening XnView MP, try as I may, I cannot seem to insert a Preview panel into the screen (I've looked at the Layout options but to no avail).

Thanking you.

AlanAT
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

can you help me to correct the incorrect spelling on the individual pics
yes, that was explained at the end of my message may26 , with 7 steps : give a new category with correct spelling, and empty the old category before deleting it.
Remember : to ensure that categories are written as keywords, you must check the category AND release selection. (if you only move or rename a category without uncheck /check + release selection, keywords wont be updated)
how to delete the incorrect categories
categories can be created or deleted with a right-click in "categories" pane or in "categoriy filter" pane. I think one should delete only empty categories.
But, I cannot find how to manage screen layout when opening XnView MP... preview pane
Try to use 1 or 2 times these items : " View > Info pane > Preview as tab", and "View > Info pane > Preview"
Next, perhaps uncheck " View > Info pane > Preview as tab" to get a separate preview that can be moved or enlarged.

I'm using "settings, Interface, Mouse, Mouse wheel to zoom in / out" so that it's easy to zoom in preview pane while adding keywords.
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

As always, Michael38, thanks for your help...this latest Post gives me some work to do tidying up my names etc.

Is there any Face Recognition in XnView ie a capability to search picture files for a particular face/s. I have search Forum and XnView User Guide to no avail.

Cheers,
AlanAT
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

Hi Michael38,

I thought that I had progressed quite far with your assistance to date.

My 3,968 jpg files have all moved across from my Windows PC into XnViewMP; I have created catagories; I have used Catagories and the Catagories Filter in XnViewMP; I was managing to navigate around XnView quite comefortably and felt that I'd come quite a long way.

HOWEVER, it looks as if some data eg some random names of people in some of the pics have not made it across - for whatever reason. I think that this could be a problem more widley spread though my files.

I have also read "XnView For Beginners" and "XnView (Windows) Users Guide" together with seeking help through Google and Youtube...I can't seem to find a Step-By-Step guide to importing from Windows into XnView.

I am quite willing to delete all that I have done to date and then start the whole process over again if I can find these instructions in simple, followable form.

If you can help me please.

Separatley, can you tell me if XvViewMP has any Facial Recognition capability?

Finally, I am quite willing to accept that the big problem here is with me...not the software, but any assistance that you can offer will be gratefully received.

Cheers and thank you.

AlanAT.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Hi Alan,
HOWEVER, it looks as if some data eg some random names of people in some of the pics have not made it across - for whatever reason. I think that this could be a problem more widley spread though my files.
As I said in the first post, xnviewmp has been processing people's names recently, and it's not perfect yet. The data read are those generated by other software (Picasa, Microsoft, and soon TagThatPhoto).
To force the reading of these data if they have not been read correctly, you have to check some options (see paragraph 2 above) in "settings, metadata", delete the concerned folders in the table of the "Settings, Catalog" screen, then put them back using the "Import Folder" button .
In current version, the only possible use of these person names is to get a simple filtering in the "categories filter".
Separatley, can you tell me if XvViewMP has any Facial Recognition capability?
So no, only reading xmp metadata that have been generated by other softwares
I am quite willing to delete all that I have done to date and then start the whole process over again if I can find these instructions in simple, followable form.
1)Close XnViewMP and make a backup of your xnview.db file (copy it and paste it in another place)
You can find it's location in "Settings, Intergration, Paths" screen.

2)If you want to renew the whole catalog, you can move or delete xnview.db (close xnviewmp, remove the file, start xnviewmp)
(For all users : first make sure that keywords are present in iptc or xmp metadata of your photos)
- Set import options in "Settings, Metadata" in order to read keywords, stars ... of your photos, don't forget the least one "import xmp face tags"
- In "Settings, Catalog" use "Import Folder" button, and select the parent folder of your photos. XnViewMP will read recursively all folders, this will take about 15min for 30 000 photos.
- In "Categories filter" pane, delete remaining empty categories.
- If a category is wrong, select it, then select all photos shown, check a right category (in categories pane) for these photos, uncheck the wrong category, and release selection .
- if you want to move a category, first create it in it's new place, and, with the same method, check this category instead of the old one for all photos having this category.
- When the previous category is empty, you can delete it.

ps1: to be able to do anything in "Categories" pane, you must select at least one photo, even if you don't modify it.
ps2 : another way to make xnviewmp read metadata keywords : check import options, select photos to be read, click "View, Update catalog from files"
ps3: you can paste the link above ( catalogage avec xnviewmp) in "Google translate" ... the result is often strange, but there are some interesting informatons there
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

OK Michael38,

Thanks for all of that and I'll work my way through it.

I appreciate your patience with my learning progress.

Cheers, AlanAT.
AlanTC

Post by AlanTC »

I continue to battle with my 10k jpg files that I have imported into XnView and I am using the component XvViewMP.

Amongst other things I think that I have identified a significant problem after I have imported the files.

With most of my jpg files, before I began using XnView, I had inserted a ‘tag’ into the file Properties (see attachment 1). That ‘tag’ has migrated across to XnView and it seems to be interfering with my cataloguing and organizing the jpg files e.g. the tag appears in several area of the Info tab of the file (see example, attachment 2).

The jpg file in question has a tag of ‘Holiday NZ’…I have confirmed that this tag field is the source of the below XnView fields by changing it in the jpg file and it carried through to the XnView file.

The related Fields on the Info Tab are:
EXIF tab
• Camera/XPKeywords

XMP tab
• dc/Subject[1]
• MicrosoftPhoto/LastKeywordXMP(1)

EXIFTOOL
• EXIF/XP Keywords
• XMP/Subject
• XMP/Last Keyword XMP.

In conclusion:
Although it might subsequently create some work for me…if I was to start all over again and to re-import all of my files into XnView…could I exclude that particular ‘tag’ from the import process?

Alternatively, perhaps there is some way of identifying where that ‘tag’ appears in all of the XnView files and then maybe I can delete that that information?

Thanking you,

AlanTC.
Attachments
Capture xnviewmp attachment 2.PNG
Capture xnviewmp attachment 2.PNG (18.56 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Capture xnviewmp attachment 1.PNG
Capture xnviewmp attachment 1.PNG (17.82 KiB) Viewed 1200 times