Android and Iphone (IOS) version...

Discussions on Android and iOS apps: XnPhotoFx, XnRetro, XnSketch, and so on.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

budz45
XnThusiast

Android and Iphone (IOS) version...

Post by budz45 »

Hi,

It would be great to see XnView Pocket on Android and Iphone platform which are currently without a doubt the two most popular mobile OS platforms used today.

if XnView Pocket is even half as good as XnView that I love and use on my Windows for image viewing then I would love to use this on my smartphone mobile device too.

I know that Android uses a non-standard java called Dalvik but Android also has support for native code too (C++) with it's NDK .....as for Iphone/Ipad/touch the programmers language is Objective-C

Would require a lot of work, possibly more than just yourself (Pierre) in coding and development.

Still a project to consider for the future. I currently have a HTC Desire smartphone with Android OS froyo 2.2 (hopefully soon get Gingerbread update) an hey aren't enough decent picture viewer apps available. I think most of the picture viewer apps just front-ends for native Android gallery photo viewer.

You could even charge a small fee for the app's on each marketplace (to make some profit, support development)

Anways, think about this for the future of XnView Pocket :)
All My Topics || my 'MP' Topics
My own Bookmarked topics--->for me only
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Android and Iphone (IOS) version...

Post by xnview »

yes will be great...
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

Yes Android OS supports native code low-level programming in C++.

I am an Android user (and fanboy) and would definitely vote for an Android version. Besides Android is open, it's based on Linux - Android is just in line with XnView's philosophy.

With the reemergence of tablet computers upon us thanks to both OS's of Android and Iphone there is greater opportunity to tap into the market again with a mobile version of Xnview

Iphone's app store requires waiting for app approval whilst Android Market doesn't :P Enough said.

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22199
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

+1, for Android version, I'm not sure if (enough) iPhone users would use XnView.

Regarding a paid version - perhaps two versions, free with the basic features and paid with the advanced features.

Another suggestion - the problem with the paid applications for mobile devices is that we have to pay for all apps again, when we change the cell phone / OS, so if we'd buy XnView Mobile, it should be for any (existing) mobile OS (Android, iOS, Windows Mobile..).
xnview wrote:yes will be great...
What it means? Do you think about it?

BTW It should be free for beta testers and translators IMHO - and there should be always the free version with all basic features for everyone.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Currently a first app (only to apply some transformations) for iphone will be soon available, and i'll see to make the same on Android
Pierre.
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:Currently a first app (only to apply some transformations) for iphone will be soon available, and i'll see to make the same on Android
How soon do you estimate?

Remember inclusion of MP icon for both Iphone and (maybe future) Android versions.

As far as basic image viewing on Android goes, this is very easy. If any of you have Android then I would like if you all downloaded an app called QuickPic it's a lovely photo viewer/gallery app. I spoke to it's Chinese developer "Nanling Zheng". The app is not even natively written thus formats not supported by the OS/phone such as Animated GIF are not supported in QuickPic (it is possible but it would require NDK low-level programming).
Image Image Image

Basically an XnView version for Android would start off just as QuickPic currently is, just as a viewer at first using system tools and then would progress from there.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Which features for a iphone/android version?
Pierre.
rra

Post by rra »

I would say no editing-features for starters, but instead:

read & save only common formats,
show exif/ GPS / IPTC & dim. info,
rotate based on exif-info,
scale to screensize for viewing (landscape or portrait),
show thumbs
slideshow with sort options (sort on date, exif-date, size,name etc)

Thats my favourite wish-list, and yes, for Android ofcourse

René
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rra wrote: read & save only common formats,
Which? Animated gif support? APNG support?
Pierre.
rra

Post by rra »

can't really say which type's,
animated gif and APNG are not one of my frequently used image-types;
I'd start with JPG,TIFF,PNG,PBM,BMP,GIF,TGA.
I think then 98% of all image-types floating around are covered,
but maybe someone else can give more statistic info on this .

René
budz45
XnThusiast

Post by budz45 »

xnview wrote:
rra wrote: read & save only common formats,
Which? Animated gif support? APNG support?
Yes, please add support for APNG and Animated GIF :) Think of Android as a mobile Linux.

Please also add optimizations for ARM NEON (SIMD instructions) devices such as Samsung Galaxy SII. We on this forum could be your beta testers :P

============================================================

I don't have a compatible Android OS version for screenshot taking, so I used ordinary camera to snap these screenshots of QuickPic on Android 2.2

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:Which features for a iphone/android version?
My ideas, I think the first version should be available ASAP - this is important, so it should have only very basic features, then more, but not too advanced edit options, I agree with René.

First version:
- JPG support
- fit to screen / width and similar options options
- simple browser with thumbnails
- 2-finger zoom
- auto-rotate based on EXIF value
- slide show with timer (3s by default)
- [OT]NON-CHICKEN ICON PLEASE, this is quite important for those who don't know xnview[/OT]

Second version:
- PNG, BMP,GIF, TGA, TIFF support
- advanced browser
- rename, perhaps batch rename with EXIF options, or even GPS, e.g. to name file "Paris - 2011-06-09 001.jpg"
- delete, permanently, to recycle bin or special folder
- hidden "fake delete" to always delete files to hidden folder, it shouldn't be a visible option
- options like EXIF, GPS (display custom info, i.e. taken date/time, GPS location, place, image size - also in MPX, file size)
- crop
- option to crop image a bit - only while viewing
- filter, search (by name, EXIF date, GPS...)
- slide show with transition effects
- slider to adjust slide show time and pause button
- quick slide show with single option - last [X] hours/days or last [X] pictures - this would start slide show with the last X pictures from older to newer, e.g.: 1400 pictures - option last 50 pictures would start #1351-#1400, last 2 days would start pictures taken today and yesterday
- option to lossless auto-rotate - batch and while viewing a picture - silent
- 2-finger manual rotate (lossless) with confirm dialog and option "[ ] do not show again"
- more 1/2-finger gestures for slide show play/pause, viewer/browser
- go to browser using 2 finger zoom out
- set as wallpaper option
- history (most viewer images...) and option to clear and disable history
- send/copy images via bluetooth, wifi, usb to other phones/PCs (not sure if possible)

Third version:
- other files and animated / multipage files support
- convert / batch convert to change file size (for MMS, e-mail)
- send files (and auto-change file size) via e-mail, MMS, or even facebook
- face detection, zoom face(s) option, use special transition to focus and zoom in to face (like Ken Burns but zoom a bit more)
- auto-face-view - to view all faces in the photo, 2 modes, faces only and full photo+all faces (face detection option needed)
- face recognition - should be implemented in XnView(MP?) too (I know this won't be easy)
- edit effects like frames, or even funny effects
- view/browse images from PC, other phones via bluetooth, wifi, USB...
- undo/redo

X-th version:
- 3D support

IMHO - if there will be a paid version, even only for 5 or 10 $, there should be also the free version - so the users will find it and like it, and it should have something special, like unique transitions, effects, fake delete, or 3D photos support...
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote: I think the first version should be available ASAP - this is important
Yes, but not easy to make Android app :(
- [OT]NON-CHICKEN ICON PLEASE, this is quite important for those who don't know xnview[/OT]
We must keep same design as XnViewMP/XnConvert logo, i think...
Pierre.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

Don't want to ruin the party here but given the fact that there is only a single man behind xnview, xnviewmp, xnconvert,.. developpement & support.
I think it would be a terrible idea for Pierre to add yet another project... unless he want's to give up on xnviewMP :?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

thibaud - There are old outdated versions of XnView for mobile devices, so it's nothing new. I think an Android version is important, not only for cell phones, but also for tablets like Galaxy Tab. Android smartphones and tablets are very popular and they will be even more popular later, so it's a good step IMHO.
xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote: I think the first version should be available ASAP - this is important
Yes, but not easy to make Android app :(
I said "ASAP", not "ASAiP" (as soon as impossible). :wink: I meant that only basic features should be added to the first version and perhaps it should be called beta, because if people try it and don't find a feature they need, they won't be trying the next versions.
xnview wrote:
We must keep same design as XnViewMP/XnConvert logo, i think...
OK, I agree, but I still think that "chicken" icon is ugly, if I wouldn't know XnView, I would not try XnView in Android Market, just because of icon, it looks more like a cheap chicken game, than a good image viewer.

Please reconsider the new logo / icon...
Dreamer