Resize Me! workflow...

Discussions on Android and iOS apps: XnPhotoFx, XnRetro, XnSketch, and so on.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Resize Me! workflow...

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for making this tool. Android users certainly have needed a good standalone image resizer that can appear in the apps lists for sharing. Very useful!

A few things (Android 2.3, 1280x720 tablet):
  • · When Resize Me! first started (after touching notification that the app had successfully installed), the screen blanked and my tablet turned off. Restarting the tablet and swiping the lock screen displayed the Resize Me! front panel.

Subsequent starts worked perfectly.

· After selecting an image I was a bit confused about what was going on:
    • 1. The numbers at the top of the screen are not labeled. For instance, the first image I opened displayed "614x1024 [614x1024]".

After resizing, "480x800 [614x1024]" was displayed. Aha! The first number is the resized size, the second (in brackets) is the original size. Perhaps some additional text would help the newbies of the world. For instance:
      • After loading an image: "614x1024->614x1024"
        After selecting a size: "614x1024->480x800 pending" or "614x1024->480x800 *"
        After saving: "480x800->480x800"
      2. After saving, what image is being viewed? The name of the file being viewed is not displayed. Is it the newly saved image file or the buffered resized original? This info seems very important when resizing an image loaded from the gallery.

Please consider displaying the filename, at least, and offer saving options (folder, rename) as well.

3. There is no method to enlarge an image. The popup size list only shows sizes smaller than the currently displayed image. Perhaps the app should be called "Shrink Me!" instead? 8)

4. When selecting the crop tool, the words "Running face detection" display momentarily. In my testing with images of faces, the proposed crop marque that results is only loosely aligned with the faces. I suggest suppressing that message altogether.
    · The popup gallery picker does not display the default checkbox.

· What is the purpose of the "Resize Me!" entry in the gallery picker? It just loops back to the picker. Maybe this is an hint of a built-in image selector functionality in a future version?

· What algorithm is used by the resize mechanism? Lanczos?

· This version of the app conceals the notification bar. Please consider either a setting to display the notification bar or one to display a "back" button somewhere in the interface for older versions of Android.
OK, that's enough.

Thanks again for the new tool. I look forward to the next version.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Resize Me! workflow...

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:
  • · When Resize Me! first started (after touching notification that the app had successfully installed), the screen blanked and my tablet turned off. Restarting the tablet and swiping the lock screen displayed the Resize Me! front panel.
Really strange, ??
· After selecting an image I was a bit confused about what was going on:
  • 1. The numbers at the top of the screen are not labeled. For instance, the first image I opened displayed "614x1024 [614x1024]".

After resizing, "480x800 [614x1024]" was displayed. Aha! The first number is the resized size, the second (in brackets) is the original size. Perhaps some additional text would help the newbies of the world. For instance:
    • After loading an image: "614x1024->614x1024"
      After selecting a size: "614x1024->480x800 pending" or "614x1024->480x800 *"
      After saving: "480x800->480x800"
yes, right
2. After saving, what image is being viewed? The name of the file being viewed is not displayed. Is it the newly saved image file or the buffered resized original? This info seems very important when resizing an image loaded from the gallery.

Please consider displaying the filename, at least, and offer saving options (folder, rename) as well.
The image saved is the same as image preview...
3. There is no method to enlarge an image. The popup size list only shows sizes smaller than the currently displayed image. Perhaps the app should be called "Shrink Me!" instead? 8)
Yes, i've not added enlarge, i think that shrink is always used. 'Shrink' is really better than 'Resize'?
4. When selecting the crop tool, the words "Running face detection" display momentarily. In my testing with images of faces, the proposed crop marque that results is only loosely aligned with the faces. I suggest suppressing that message altogether.[/list]
yes right...
· The popup gallery picker does not display the default checkbox.
Ok, i must check how to do that...
· What is the purpose of the "Resize Me!" entry in the gallery picker? It just loops back to the picker. Maybe this is an hint of a built-in image selector functionality in a future version?
There is 3 ways to use ResizeMe!, you can start your email client, and add attachment, here you can select resizeMe
· What algorithm is used by the resize mechanism? Lanczos?
Basic, i'll add more resize method
· This version of the app conceals the notification bar. Please consider either a setting to display the notification bar or one to display a "back" button somewhere in the interface for older versions of Android.[/list]
You means the top bar?
Thanks again for the new tool. I look forward to the next version.
Thanks for your feedback!
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre

Perhaps it is unavoidable, but I don't think an app should appear in its own gallery picker... selecting it just loops back to the picker.

Other apps don't show themselves, so there must be a method to suppress that item.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:Hi Pierre

Perhaps it is unavoidable, but I don't think an app should appear in its own gallery picker... selecting it just loops back to the picker.

Other apps don't show themselves, so there must be a method to suppress that item.
No other apps work in the same way, you must first select ResizeME and after gallery, it's the normal behavior for app that send picture to another app

About its own gallery picker, there is no way to hide it
Pierre.