Suggestion for XnRetro

Discussions on Android and iOS apps: XnPhotoFx, XnRetro, XnSketch, and so on.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

schultzter

Suggestion for XnRetro

Post by schultzter »

Good afternoon...

I'm using XnRetro more and more. I still have Aviary but since most of what I do is crop-filter-share it's much faster with XnRetro.

The efficiency of the workflow breaks down when I tap the share button. There is a bug (in my opinion) and an improvement. For both I propose one solution.

When I tap the share button (near the top-right of the screen) I would like to have more choices than just e-mail and the default share menu. Like Aviary has configurable direct links I would like see four (that's enough for me) that I can configure. In my case it would be E-mail, Hang-outs (for SMS), Word Press, and Push Bullet. Obviously the default share menu still needs to be accessible, but with the quick links it less a priority. And when I click on E-mail it should ask me which e-mail app I want to use - I use Gmail for personal mail and the E-mail app for work (with Exchange), and I imagine other people will use other apps too.

Thanks,
Version 0.72 x64 (Dec 19 2014) on Arch Linux

Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Suggestion for XnRetro

Post by xnview »

schultzter wrote: I'm using XnRetro more and more. I still have Aviary but since most of what I do is crop-filter-share it's much faster with XnRetro.
XnRetro on Windows?
Pierre.
schultzter

Post by schultzter »

xnview wrote:XnRetro on Windows?
On Android.

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

schultzter wrote:
xnview wrote:XnRetro on Windows?
On Android.
ok, i understand... Do you think that i must add 'add text' or more features? For example effect opacity?
Pierre.
schultzter

Post by schultzter »

xnview wrote:ok, i understand... Do you think that i must add 'add text' or more features? For example effect opacity?
In short, no - don't add any other editing features to XnRetro! The only thing I think could be improved is when you tap the Share button.

What I do when I use XnRetro is crop the photo (so it's perfect to start in the cropper) and then hit the dice a few times and usually in a few tries I find the perfect combination; then I share my creation. I always share via Wordpress (social), Hangouts (MMS to wife 99%), Push Bullet (send to my computer), or E-mail (GMail for personal an Email for work) so this is why I would like to have four quick-share choices.

I've been using Aviary for a long time now - since Facebook bought Instagram and I looked for an alternative. And I tried a lot of photo editors (see my blog if you're interested in the gory details).

Aviary has a lot of power: a lot of tools to manipulate the photos with, a lot of configuration possibilities (including the tool order), and you can change the filter intensity too. The interface is very intuitive, they really take advantage of touch interaction.

But my biggest issue with Aviary is that filters, borders, and stickers are un-manageable! Especially the more you buy the more you have to scroll through to find the combinations you want. And like I said, most of the time I do crop-filter-share (maybe add a border if the filter doesn't have one), which is what XnRetro does exactly!!!

So for me, now, I will use XnRetro always - unless I have to do some other manipulation like add text, remove red-eye, draw on the image, blur sensitive information, etc. - then I will use Aviary.

I don't want to XnRetro to replace Aviary, they are two tools that have some similar features but for me they are two different uses.

Thanks,