XnRetro

More Multi Platform Tools - Windows, MacOSX, Linux

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: XnView Retro

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre...

Thanks for responding to our suggestions for XnView Retro!
  • · The spinner for the gamma adjustment (thanks for that, BTW!) uses too large an increment. The increment is 1. It should be 0.1, IMO.

· I really like how there is a splitter between the effects sliders and the image. One can adjust the mouse-precision of the sliders by simply making their panel a bit wider. Very nice!

· For "Light" and "Frame", the thumb for the "original" image is not correct.

· IMO the thumbs should be resizeable. They are too small on my 1920x1200 display. A simple splitter between the thumbs and the image would be great, with the thumbs scaling in response to the splitter position.

· The "Color Balance" controls don't have labels.

· I am not a fan of the blue outline of the "original" thumb, nor its rounded corners.

· The currently selected Retro thumb is not "highlighted".

· There is still no way to adjust the "size" of the frame. For instance (my favorite) frame 18 is simply too wide for the image. The user should be able to make the frame whatever width is appropriate for the image.

· This nice tool should be implemented directly into MP (as a plugin, perhaps?).
It really works well.
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Let me add that the sidebar panel with ALL of the relevant adjustment sliders in the ONE panel works so well that I may start using XnRetro just for quick adjustments to individual photos without using the lighting/frame tabs at all!

The sliders are responsive + sensitive and are great for very subtle adjustments.

If similar panel was implemented into XnView Legacy or MP, it would be a great enhancement.

We need:
  • Noise +/-

+ noise would overlay some noise (poisson, or gaussian, or what have you).
    - noise would do a progressive salt & pepper removal filter

Geometry +/-

+ would progressively add more barrel distortion
    - would progressively add more pincushion distortion (less barrel)

... would need an "auto-crop" check box, too.

Vertical Perspective +/-
    Horizontal Perspective +/-
    Leveling +/-
    Gamma/Sat +/-
    ConBright +/-
    White balance +/-
    Blur/Sharpen +/- (Select algorthim from drop down)
Also, a useful histogram below the controls would be great. Note that the histograms in XnView Legacy and MP are NOT very useful.

As an aside: this approach to the adjustment controls is very touch friendly.

Thanks for listening!
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

"Save As" should propose the original filename (the filename field in the Save dialog is blank).
John
the_majkl

Post by the_majkl »

Thanks, Pierre :-)

Calling XnRetro from XnView works fine now. "Reset all setting" also sets clipping to square, which I personally do not prefer, but it is ok. A white line appears sometimes on right and bottom borders (when switching betwwen frames, eg from frame 8 to 1), but it seems to be only visual, saved image looks OK.

Good work, as usually.

Thanks, Michal
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:· IMO the thumbs should be resizeable. They are too small on my 1920x1200 display. A simple splitter between the thumbs and the image would be great, with the thumbs scaling in response to the splitter position.
Yes right, for a next version...
· I am not a fan of the blue outline of the "original" thumb, nor its rounded corners.
Really?? What would be better?
I can't reproduce...
Let me add that the sidebar panel with ALL of the relevant adjustment sliders in the ONE panel works so well that I may start using XnRetro just for quick adjustments to individual photos without using the lighting/frame tabs at all!

The sliders are responsive + sensitive and are great for very subtle adjustments.

If similar panel was implemented into XnView Legacy or MP, it would be a great enhancement.
Yes i've already thought about adding such panel in XnViewMP :)
Vertical Perspective +/-
Leveling +/-
Gamma/Sat +/-
ConBright +/-
White balance +/-
Blur/Sharpen +/- (Select algorthim from drop down)
In XnRetro???
Also, a useful histogram below the controls would be great. Note that the histograms in XnView Legacy and MP are NOT very useful.
So what is better for histogram? :)
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

xnview wrote:
Really?? What would be better?
The blue is OK, I'm never a big fan of rounded corners when everything else in the window has square corners. Looks funky to me. Just a personal taste thing, I guess.
I can't reproduce...
I can't either, now. :(
Vertical Perspective +/-
Leveling +/-
Gamma/Sat +/-
ConBright +/-
White balance +/-
Blur/Sharpen +/- (Select algorithm from drop down)
In XnRetro???
Well... that's a good question. I don't like to switch tools unless absolutely necessary.

Switching tools means the user has to Save between tools. This complicates things. The user may have to consider a new filename, go back in forth with multiple saves. Perhaps not the most prevalent behavior with a tool like Retro, but having all relevant adjustments in one place is always my preference.
So what is better for histogram? :)
IMO, the XnView histograms are too big and need options! 8)

At the very least, the histogram should be fixed in size and NOT scale with the panel (user resizable OK). It should never be taller than it is wide. An option to show colors, colors and brightness, or just brightness would be very useful. Also blowout indicators.

Perhaps these suggestions are overkill for a tool like Retro (others should step in here and give their opinions). But the imagination runs wild when such an excellent UI implies so many possibilities.
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Another suggestion:

Add sliders to rotate/position the "Light" effect.
John
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

JohnFredC wrote:Thanks for responding to our suggestions for XnView Retro!
Wow, I had no idea that the proposal was under consideration :D

+ + +
XnTriq wrote:In v1.01 of the Windows edition, there's a gap (1 pixel wide) on the right and bottom of the preview :bug:
Not fixed in v1.1:
:bugconfirmed:
the_majkl wrote:A white line appears sometimes on right and bottom borders (when switching betwwen frames, eg from frame 8 to 1), but it seems to be only visual, saved image looks OK.
+ + +
XnTriq wrote:\frame\filmroll.png is missing in the thumbnail list.
Adding the following lines to frames.xml makes filmroll.png appear in the list of available frames:
[color=green]\frame\frames.xml[/color] wrote:

Code: Select all

<frame
title="Filmroll"
file="filmroll.png"
left="31"
top="68"
right="24"
bottom="76"
/>
+ + +

File » Save » BMP - Windows Bitmap produces PNGs :bug:

+ + +

Pierre, would it be possible to preserve transparency around a frame in the output?
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre

How does the user add light effects files ?

I tried rotating one of the built-in light effects files (in the sub-folder) and saving the result to a new file, but the thumb does not appear, even after restarting Retro.
John
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

And another thing: 8)

Some of the frames should not scale with the image (for example, frame 11). Perhaps there could be a flag in the xml file to indicate which components should scale, and which should not.

In frame 11, the corners should not stretch based on the aspect ratio of the image.

John
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

IMO, this should be the order of the “layers”:
  1. Frame
  2. Vignette
  3. Light effect
  4. Retro filter
  5. Original image
As of now (v1.1), the lighting seems to be on top of the vignetting.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:In frame 11, the corners should not stretch based on the aspect ratio of the image.
Like when you use 'use square'?

@XnTriq: For the border line, i'll check...

Here is another version, now you have light.xml, i've fixed the order of layers + small bugs...

I have a lot of light leaks effect, if you think that i must add some others, please tell me. Same for frame borders :)
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

xnview wrote:
JohnFredC wrote:In frame 11, the corners should not stretch based on the aspect ratio of the image.
Like when you use 'use square'?
Yes. They are correct for 'use square', but not in any other ratios, which stretch the corners. Actually, they aren't correct for 'Use square" either, being a little stretched vertically.

That says to me there should be 3 separate frame element stretch "behaviors": L/R sides, T/B sides, Corners.
John
BillBo

Post by BillBo »

The Windows download links at the
top of the topic work OK, but the
MacOS do not.

I just downloaded the 32-bit version
1.1.0.0. Is there one for 64-bit?

Keep up the great work!!

Bill
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

xnview wrote: I have a lot of light leaks effect, if you think that i must add some others, please tell me. Same for frame borders :)
Do you see other good light effect image that can be added?
Pierre.