Residual thumbnails after moving files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

KLE-France

Residual thumbnails after moving files

Post by KLE-France »

Hello to all / Bonjour à tous,

I recently moved my photo collection from the customary (Windows 10) "Pictures" folder under "This PC" (aka c/Users/[user name]/Pictures) to to the Pictures folder in OneDrive, to ensure an automatic backup of my images.

However, when images are moved—I've noticed this before—there remains a sort-of "ghost" thumbnail when filtering images with the Categories (keyword) function.

It looks like this:

Ghost thumbnail.jpg

As you can see, this thumbnail for the image 001984.jpg indicates its former locale, where there is nothing now.

The "real" 001984.jpg now in the OneDrive folder appears further down (it's not visible in the screenshot), and clicking on it shows correctly all the usual information.

These "ghost" thumbnails exist for every single picture that has keywords in it and surely represent some residue remaining in the catalog.

How do I go about removing these ghost thumbnails in one fell swoop? I'm sure it's something here:

scary buttons.jpg

but those buttons are kinda scary, so I prefer asking first.

Thanks in advance and happy shooting.
masterjp

Re: Residual thumbnails after moving files

Post by masterjp »

The 'optimize' button should help you.

I would use the following settings in the next dialog:

(x = checked; [ ] = unchecked)

x.....Optimize database
x.....Remove data
[ ]...Purge all thumbnails
[ ]...Purge file data
x....Remove data for orphaned directories
x....Remove data for ophaned files

It will check, if the directories/filenames within the database exists and remove the informations and thumbnails of missing files.
PC: Intel 8700k + Asus Z370-F + 16 GB RAM G.Skill + Asus RTX 3050 OC + Samsung SSD
GFX: XN-View 2.51.5 | XnViewMP 1.6.5 | XnConvert 1.100.1 | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2024 | Elements XXL 11 | Paint.Net
KLE-France

Re: Residual thumbnails after moving files: finished by rebuilding the catalog

Post by KLE-France »

Thanks masterjp for this idea.

I tried a range of the checkboxes in the Optimize menu ("Optimize" alone, and then a number of the other choices alone or in combination). The result was that some of the ghost thumbnails disappeared, but never all of them.

This thread might need to be sent over to the Bug reports forum?

In any case, I finally just had XnView MP rebuild the catalog.

For those who might run into this same problem and are also on Windows 10:

Close XnViewMP.

In Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP.

Rename the file Thumb.db (for example "OLD_Thumb.db") (or just delete it)

Rename the file XnView.db (for example "OLD_XnView.db) (or just delete it)

Restart XnView MP.

The program will create new 'Thumb.db' and 'XnView.db' files and start rebuilding the catalog and the thumbnails. I made a point of opening all the folders in my photo collection in XnView MP, but I think you can also just let the program do that in the background (but do correct me if I'm wrong on this last point).

Hope that can be helpful, thanks again to masterjp and happy shooting to all!
jadO

Post by jadO »

KLE-France wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:39 pm However, when images are moved—I've noticed this before—there remains a sort-of "ghost" thumbnail when filtering images with the Categories (keyword) function.
The question is, if you have moved them in XnViewMP or in the Windows Explorer?
KLE-France

Post by KLE-France »

Ah! Yes, that's necessary information. I think this happens only when images are moved in Explorer. I seem to remember moving images within XnVew and not having the problem.
jadO

Post by jadO »

KLE-France wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 pm
Ah! Yes, that's necessary information. I think this happens only when images are moved in Explorer. I seem to remember moving images within XnVew and not having the problem.
And that's the problem. XnviewMP has no way to know that you have moved the files in Explorer.
So it keeps the thumbnails with the old location in the database and creates new thumbnails for the images in the new location.
Same will happen with meta information like rating or categories, which will not be showing with the file at the new location.
KLE-France

Post by KLE-France »

And that's the problem. XnviewMP has no way to know that you have moved the files in Explorer.
Surely the right analysis, but I do think that XnView would be even better if it were able to correct the catalog to the current state of image organization, even when things are changed outside of the program.

I've formalized that in the Suggestions forum: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=41821.

Thanks for your insights, jadO, and happy shooting!