Missing features (compared to XnView Classic)

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bsteph10

Re: List of missing features (compared to XnView Classic)

Post by bsteph10 »

Hello,

Please add a keyboard shortcut for Aquire Image from Scanner, previously it was Ctrl+Alt+A.

Thanks,

Bryan
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

bsteph10 wrote:Hello,

Please add a keyboard shortcut for Aquire Image from Scanner, previously it was Ctrl+Alt+A.

Thanks,

Bryan
...also please add the possibility to customize it in Tools | Settings | Interface | Shortcuts...
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
MrFlamey

Post by MrFlamey »

I think I posted this in the wrong place before, so here goes:
+ The program title bar does not display the current directory / image url ("XnView - e:/work/gallery" for example). Fixing this would be quite helpful for users that use multiple instances at once.

Thanks for your awesome work.
ania

Post by ania »

Favourite management (removing or changing the order of favourites) is missing. There's only "Add Favourite", so I'm adding and the list gets longer and longer.

XnView MP Version 0.61 (Jul 18 2013)
Windows 7 64bit
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

ania wrote:Favourite management (removing or changing the order of favourites) is missing. There's only "Add Favourite", so I'm adding and the list gets longer and longer.

XnView MP Version 0.61 (Jul 18 2013)
Windows 7 64bit
+1

...till then, if you want to delete a favorite you can go to the folder in which XnViewMP files are (by default in Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP\ ) and edit the bookmark.ini file. Delete the unwanted line(s) using Notepad.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
StephanP

Batch Rename tool is missing "Sort" option

Post by StephanP »

It appears to me that the Batch Rename tool is missing the "Sort" option.
In XnView (classic) I frequently applied the sort option to have the files sorted by EXIF Date before renaming and numbering.
This option is no longer available, Or should I do the sorting beforehand in the Explorer and THEN do the Batch Rename?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

In XnView 2.04 (and older) you have Options -> View -> Auto Image Size

I used to set it to: Fit image to window, large only

I'm missing that.
Every time I view a "small" image, it is stretched to full window size of XnViewMP, which is always maximised :|
I would like to have small images not to zoom to window, but to have them display at 100%

Or bring back the option, so everyone can choose what he wants to. ;)
helmut

Post by helmut »

AndyK wrote:In XnView 2.04 (and older) you have Options -> View -> Auto Image Size

I used to set it to: Fit image to window, large only

I'm missing that.
XnView (Classic) offers a menu entry "Image view" mode, menu "View > Auto Image-size > Fit image to window, large only". In addition there was the setting that you mention "Options > View > Auto Image Size". The difference between the two auto image sizes is: The menu is just temporary and the setting/option is valid for this and future sessions.

In XnView MP only the menu entry is available. My understanding and guess is that the two settings confused people and therefore it is no longer supported in XnView MP. But this is just a guess. So please use menu "View > Auto Image-Size" for setting the auto-image size. The selected auto image size is valid for this and future sessions.
UPup

Post by UPup »

In XnView Classic there was a separate "Auto Image Size" for standard View and for Fullscreen. I would set one to No Fit (100%Zoom) and the other to Fit Image To All. Working with high-res images I found it very useful to be able to quickly toggle between the two modes. XnView MP uses just one setting for both and requires at least 2 shortcut keys to toggle. I suppose for most this option was likely superfluous and therefore removed but I personally used it a lot. I would love to have the two separate settings back, or perhaps even better, a shortcut key option that toggles between two Image Size modes. I know it's probably a long shot but I figure I'd mention it just in case since I really like XnView and definitely want to stick with its newest incarnation. :)

UP
liorl99

Post by liorl99 »

Smooth zooming does not work on 1bit files as it does on xnview classic - a great and unique feature.
BloodyRain2k

Post by BloodyRain2k »

The ability to tile images in the viewer side by side either horizontaly or verticaly or how ever you want to place them there, I really used that a lot.
Debian 12 x64 - XnViewMP 1.6.2 x64
ikletti

Post by ikletti »

From this post dating back to March 2012:
xnview wrote:
helmut wrote: • Acquire from Scanner or Camera
You have it already :)
I guess it should be possible to acquire from a scanner in XnviewMP. But running Version 0.61 on Kubuntu 12.04 (LTS) I can not find any menu entry or button even remotely resembling "scan" or "acquire". I even switched between the UI language from English to French and German and waded through the menus just to make sure.

My scanner is working fine using xsane. Could somebody shed a light on this, please?

Edit:
I now have tried XnView MP Version 0.61 on a Windows 7 (64 Bit) system where I see a menu entry for scanning in the "File" menu. So I went back to Linux, and just to make sure, uninstalled XnView MP and reinstalled it. Still no menu entry for scanning. Is this related to the different backends (TWAIN vs. SANE) and how can I fix this (no programming skills, else I'd offer my help there)?
Amandus

Post by Amandus »

I really need autocrop "Alt+Y" for pictures in B&W.

There is a batch function, but if I have scanned pictures autocrop is the last step to clean the borders after some "Ctrl+X". There are no alternatives for XnView in Ubuntu and I prefer to use it without WINE …
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Amandus wrote:I really need autocrop "Alt+Y" for pictures in B&W.

There is a batch function, but if I have scanned pictures autocrop is the last step to clean the borders after some "Ctrl+X". There are no alternatives for XnView in Ubuntu and I prefer to use it without WINE …
Hello,
... You have into xnviewMP batchConvert the :image/"automatic crop" function ...
But a work around under linux is to use (for example) imagemagick script:
http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/ ... /index.php
multicrop :Crops and unrotates multiple images from a scanned image.

Image and the image : Image

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Me too, i would like to have these kinds of filters into xnviewMP batch convert ... and some others ex:
1-) autotone filter: auto brightness/contrast + auto gray balance + auto white balance + auto gamma correction + auto noise removal + auto sharpening (all in one filter)
2-) cameradeblur or fftdeconvol filter : Performs deconvolution on an image in the frequency domain (Fourier Transform), Removing Horizontal Motion Blur , and/or , Removing Lens Defocus
Image + Image = Image
3-) retinex filter :Enhances detail and color in an image using the multiscale retinex algorithm.
4-) textcleaner ... for OCR ( pre-process for an optical character recognition.)
...etc... ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
confona

Post by confona »

IS MP supposed to be an improvement over Classic?

I can't extract gifs or tile pictures for comparison in MP. So it's back to Classic for me.

Removing features that attracted users is not the way to go about improving on an app.

Also, if you create an app that is highly customizable with many different settings, please add an "export" current settings feature, so we can save those preferred setting in case we need to reinstall later.