Lost images in category selection

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

custard

Lost images in category selection

Post by custard »

Recently I find that the selection of a category results in a display of little notebook pages. The file names are correct in that the file does belong to the category but I cannot see the file image.
Clearly the link between the category entry and the image file has been lost. Any ideas how to restore that link?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Lost images in category selection

Post by xnview »

xnview or xnviewmp?
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Perhaps the files where moved outside of XnView MP?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
custard

Post by custard »

I'm using xnview. I think I have found the problem in that the path name of the missing files includes a drive letter which doesn't exist. I keep the images on an external drive and access via USB when needed. Somehow during one session the drive letter got changed. I can change the drive letter via the system and most of the files now appear. There are some which still do not and they do have yet another drive letter in their path names. Can I assume if I select these files and renter the categories all will be well?

All these image files do also have keywords so all is not lost and xnview is really good...thanks Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

custard wrote:I'm using xnview. I think I have found the problem in that the path name of the missing files includes a drive letter which doesn't exist. I keep the images on an external drive and access via USB when needed. Somehow during one session the drive letter got changed. I can change the drive letter via the system and most of the files now appear. There are some which still do not and they do have yet another drive letter in their path names. Can I assume if I select these files and renter the categories all will be well?

All these image files do also have keywords so all is not lost and xnview is really good...thanks Pierre.

Yes, but you can RELOCATE the files in XnView MP.

Let's say that in XnView MP the files are registered in DB as x:\foo\blah\img_001.jpg (etc.) and now they are on your storage at y:\bar\blah\img_001.jpg (etc.).

Steps to relocate the files:

0. Perhaps is better to make a backup to your xnview.db - just in case, you know... :)

1. Go to Tools | Settings | Database
2. In the Cached Directory list find x:/foo/blah. Click on it to select.
3. Press the Relocate... button. A dialog will appear with two values: Old Path (leave this untouched!) and New Path.
4. In the New Path field of the dialog mentioned above copy/paste from Explorer (recommended) or write down the new full path where the photos are located now (in our example is y:\bar\blah\).
5. Press Ok and, depending on the number of your photos you want to relocate, take a breath, smile to your friends, go to shoot some photos, read a book, go to sleep.
6. When it is ready close all the dialogs (dunno if it needs restart) and enjoy your keywords!

If you have any problems don't hesitate to post here.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -