Blur a small section of image

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

acejavelin

Blur a small section of image

Post by acejavelin »

I often post pictures online, but need to blur out a serial number, phone number, or some other small piece of information, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that... Also, although it isn't really necessary, is it possible to insert text or a simple drawing (like a circle) with this applications?

Linux Mint 17.1
XnViewMP
Version 0.72 x64 (Dec 19 2014)
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Blur a small section of image

Post by cday »

acejavelin wrote:I often post pictures online, but need to blur out a serial number, phone number, or some other small piece of information, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that...

Linux Mint 17.1
XnViewMP
Version 0.72 x64 (Dec 19 2014)
A blur function is available in Image > Filter... > Blur but the available blur seems rather limited, perhaps you could report your experience on that...
Also, although it isn't really necessary, is it possible to insert text or a simple drawing (like a circle) with this applications?
Not implemented yet...
acejavelin

Post by acejavelin »

OK, thank you
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

You can apply blur to small areas by selecting trhem before starting the filter.
As far as the filters go, plain blur probably won't be effective. There are however other blurring filter; average, gaussian blur, soften, and while not technically blurs maximum and minimum. Soften is even less effective than plain blur. Average is the strongest standrard blurring filter. The maximum/minimum filters actually brighten/darken the image (respectively), as well as making it very blocky. With these filters which have a filter size option you make them blurrier by choosing a larger filter size (ie, 13x13 is the blurriest).
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!