Save session - doesn't do anything

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

David4321

Save session - doesn't do anything

Post by David4321 »

When I close xnview, I'm prompted if I want to save session. I've always wanted to be able to save tab groups, but the function never seems to do anything. At least I don't know how to find and reopen any saved sessions. What is this feature supposed to do, and how is it used? If it's supposed to save tab group, how do I access it?

I've got xnview MP installed on Ubuntu. Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Save session - doesn't do anything

Post by xnview »

by default, the session is restored. when you start, you have only the browser?
Pierre.
David4321

Post by David4321 »

Correct. I've used xnview for years, on windows and linux, and it's never reopened my tabs, with or without attempted save. I normally don't open application directly, almost always just by clicking image file, it's my default viewer.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Settings>General>Reset all confirm prompts
Pierre.
DownJones

Post by DownJones »

Doesn't work as expected for me. Version 0.79. Platform — Windows.

Yes, it does ask me if I want to save the session or no.
Yes, it does restore the session next time when I launch the application from icon, exe.
No, it does not restore the session when I launch the application from another image.

The problem is, when I see that some session will be saved, I expect that it could be restored in any case.
Otherwise I need to be informed about exceptions, because it is confused.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

DownJones wrote: No, it does not restore the session when I launch the application from another image.
it's a known issue
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 842 for current status and details.
Pierre.
David4321

Post by David4321 »

This works for me now, after resetting prompts, when opened from icon and not from a file. Is the intention of the feature to store one session as work in progress, to be reopened in this way? (like reopening browser tabs from last session) Would it have the capability to save sessions more like bookmarked tab groups, which could be selected and opened later? Thanks.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Contrariwise, I have no need to retain my last sessions. Indeed, I'd like the choice to NOT save the last collection I was last looking at.

The Reset all confirmations doesn't ask me the 'Save this session' question, only the 'Do you want to exit' one using the window top-right X. :shock:

It's 2021 now and I would have thought this was a valid, common, option. Any chance?
Regards, PhredE
Willing donor, if only a 'donor token' were supplied in return, putting 'Phred's XnView' or '$D', '$Dd', '$dd' (depending on size) or 'Donor Version' in the title bar. (See Wiztree for partial solution.)
And a local Help file :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you have not 'Save this session' when exiting?
Pierre.
Phred

Post by Phred »

xnview wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:37 am you have not 'Save this session' when exiting?
Correct, Pierre - no 'Save this session?' prompt upon exiting. Only the 'Do you want to exit?" prompt (along with 'save my response').

This is on two machines, so far, version 0.98.4 - 64bit.
[And just confirmed with 0.99.0]
[It would be handy if you could append the version number on the end of the XnViewMP-win-x64.exe download like XnViewMP-win-x64-0990.exe]

'Save session...' couldn't be a choosable option, along with a couple of others?
(The idea that 'Save session...' is invisibly buried in the 'Reset all prompts' is obscure, at best, kind of defeating the purpose of a Graphical User Interface, is it not?)
Regards, PhredE
Willing donor, if only a 'donor token' were supplied in return, putting 'Phred's XnView' or '$D', '$Dd', '$dd' (depending on size) or 'Donor Version' in the title bar. (See Wiztree for partial solution.)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and you have one or more edit tabs opened? Even after clicking 'reset all confirm prompts'?
Pierre.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Oh yes, a few tabs open, including one for the browser.

For the time being, during this analysis, I'm not ticking the 'Remember my answer...' box when I choose 'OK' to quit.

XnVMP started from the executable - into the browser.

Tonight the program isn't saving open tabs, the opposite to what it was doing three or four posts ago. I'm still not receiving the 'Save session..' prompt - after the Reset confirmation button-click in Settings, OK, File, Quit.
Regards, PhredE
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

where settings are saved?
Pierre.
Phred

Post by Phred »

xnview wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 am where settings are saved?
Where are settings saved?

As far as I can tell - using 'Everything' as an aid - in:
C:\Users\PhredE\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP\xnview.ini
...last updated at this time on 20/09/2021. Seems correct.
Permissions for me the user are quite open.

NOTE: It's the one and only question about Quitting confirmation. No other confirmation question is proffered.
This behaviour is also confirmed on yet another computer observed via a Teamviewer session.

I do note today that above the 'Remember my answer ...don't ask again' prompt that there is a roughness in the dotted line above the words.
Is there preceding lettering in that prompt that I'm not seeing? On any computer? Some further information?
I'm running a 27" screen at 110% DPI so I don't always see non-adaptive characters.
Regards, PhredE