Save session - doesn't do anything

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Save session - doesn't do anything

Post by xnview »

Just to confirm. You start XnView, click on settings>Reset all prompts, open an image in a tab, close app, no dialog?
Pierre.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Not quite, Pierre.

I open XnView MP (to the browser (when all previous tabs have been closed explicitly)), open a picture in a tab, open another picture in another tab, go to Settings and click on >Reset all prompts/OK, then top-right X or File, Quit or Ctrl Q and receive one prompt to Quit including the offer to remember my choice.
Only yes: quit, is chosen.

I believe this issue is really quite important because XnVMP's refusal to clear an earlier session could be irritating, embarrassing, spoiling (in, say, a sequential presentation) or plain confusing. It would be good to have it fixed.

Objective: How to find a way to re-present the 'Save this session?' prompt.
Regards, PhredE
Willing donor, if only a 'donor token' were supplied in return, putting 'Phred's XnView' or '$D', '$Dd', '$dd' (depending on size) or 'Donor Version' in the title bar. (See Wiztree for partial solution.)
And a local Help file :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, and what do you have in settings>Save session on program exit?
Pierre.
Phred

Post by Phred »

Pierre!!

"ok, and what do you have in settings>Save session on program exit?"

In 'Tools, Settings, General: Save session on program exit?' I had 'Always'. :shock:

'Hiding in plain sight' is the expression.
Did YOU forget that one, Pierre? I certainly didn't notice it, there being so many choices throughout Settings (...and there being no search function within Settings as has become common these days).

Perhaps we should have addressed that 'Save session on program exit?' option first...

Can we say that this issue is now settled? It seems to be.
Regards, PhredE
Willing donor, if only a 'donor token' were supplied in return, putting 'Phred's XnView' or '$D', '$Dd', '$dd' (depending on size) or 'Donor Version' in the title bar. (See Wiztree for partial solution.)
And a local Help file :(
ConfusedUser

Post by ConfusedUser »

I just wanted to say that I've had the same problem as Phred and it was hard to figure out how to disable automatic saving of opened tabs.

When you try to close XnView with multiple tabs, you get a message asking if you want to save tabs in the future. I've missclicked and checked "never ask again", and couldn't find where to disable this function for like 20 minutes until I found this thread (in Settings I've read everything and I didn't understand that "saving session" is about tabs, sorry, but some people are stupid like me, you should be more obvious with wording :D ).

I've tried to "Reset all confirm prompts" immediatly, since it was the most obvious choice, and it just doesn't recet this particular answer. It doesn't really work. Even uninstalling program and installing again didn't recet this answer.

I think this needs to be fixed. One small mistake like that should not take so much time to figure out and fix.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Check Settings>General>Save session on ...
Pierre.