Import from Picasa: how

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

gegory

Import from Picasa: how

Post by gegory »

Google officially closes picasa.
The question is: how one can migrate photos and videos from picasa to XnViewMP.
I assume that it is tricky to migrate adjustments done in picasa, but what about metadata (stars and tags)?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Import from Picasa: how

Post by xnview »

i think that picassa use XMP metadata, so stars & tags will be imported
Pierre.
keesvh

Post by keesvh »

I do see tags created in picasa, in xnview, but no stars created in picasa.
Can anybody explain what I should do to get these stars shown or imported in XNview ?
Would be highly appreciated. :?:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

keesvh wrote:I do see tags created in picasa, in xnview, but no stars created in picasa.
Can anybody explain what I should do to get these stars shown or imported in XNview ?
Would be highly appreciated. :?:
could you send me a file with rating from picasa?
Pierre.
Mixer
Banned

Post by Mixer »

I never had a business with Picasa. Are these stars the ones you're talking about?
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

For a start, I use both at the same time. There is no reason to stop using Picasa. Just be aware of how the two programs interact.

For bits of Picasa metadata:

Captions are written to IPTC:caption and XMP-dc:Description - compatible with xnview

Tags are written to IPTC:Keywords and XMP-dc:Subject - compatible with xnview

Face identification is written to XMP - but only if you have configured Picasa to do so. The default is to save it only in its own database. - And xnview does not understand face metadata.

As mixer's linked post identifies, stars are written to the .picasa.ini text file - nothing is written to the image. The suggested technique of selecting all starred images and writing a tag is a good start, and you'd then need to use something like exiftool to assign the standard XMP:Rating.

Having said captions and tags are compatible, older versions of Picasa might have written to IPTC only, and ignored XMP (I just found some of these today). Even older versions wrote metadata only to Picasa's private database and/or .picasa.ini (I forget the details). I do not know what happened to these captions when the DB version was upgraded.

For image adjustments - I think you are out of luck. xnview has no similar concept of non-destructive adjustments, and Picasa's adjustments are stored in the .picasa.ini file.