I switched to MP recently and need some help

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Octopuss

I switched to MP recently and need some help

Post by Octopuss »

I don't know if anything of the following is a missing future, bug or anything. I'll just write it all down hoping to get some feedback.

1) I cannot move files between folders by dragging them. The only thing that ever happens is copy, which is annoying. Is there any way to do this?
2) Is there any way to make the program NOT open images in fullscreen mode after doubleclicking on them? As in, the original XnView behavior. I have whole bunch of EXIF data added into the program's title bar just like in the original XN and it's no use now. I'd like images to open in "full view" mode like if you did so from the Xn's browser.
3) I used to be able to use some variables for batch renaming of files in the original XnView, but none of those work in MP. For example, I'd rename my photos like this: "2016-02-22-15-36-58.CR2".

Thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: I switched to MP recently and need some help

Post by cday »

Octopuss wrote:1) I cannot move files between folders by dragging them. The only thing that ever happens is copy, which is annoying. Is there any way to do this?
I think that is a known issue that has been discussed recently and may possibly be fixed soon, but I haven't been following the debate closely...
Octopuss wrote:2) Is there any way to make the program NOT open images in fullscreen mode after doubleclicking on them? As in, the original XnView behavior. I have whole bunch of EXIF data added into the program's title bar just like in the original XN and it's no use now. I'd like images to open in "full view" mode like if you did so from the Xn's browser.
Could you check this Tools > Settings... option and see if it provide the behaviour you need:
1.png
Octopuss wrote:3) I used to be able to use some variables for batch renaming of files in the original XnView, but none of those work in MP. For example, I'd rename my photos like this: "2016-02-22-15-36-58.CR2".
Does this Tools > Settings... option provide the format you need:
2.png
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

For 2), I don't think it's relevant to my problem. What I'm talking about is the mode XnView opens in when I open an image directly from Windows explorer by double clicking on it. I don't want the image to open in fullscreen mode, but I couldn't figure out whether it's even possible.

For 3), yes, I eventually found that screen (but really some basic help or button tooltips are really needed), but when I choose anything from the "date format variables" menu, it just puts that variable letter in the preview name. I think it might actually be a bug.

I have also remembered fourth annoyance now:
4) The program doesn't seem to remember the last zoom level used if you press * (100%) upon opening another image (possibly because 100% is missing from the auto zoom level menu?).
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:

2) General/General/Startup ( Untick Fullscreen when starting)
3) I haven't tried this lately, but usually worked for me. (Are you sure the variable your choosing has data attached to it in the exif )

Maybe you can try the same var in the tooltip or fullscreen info to see that it has data in that field.

4) Try maybe, View/Preview/"auto image size" or "zoom"
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Erixx haxx wrote:Hello:

2) General/General/Startup ( Untick Fullscreen when starting)
3) I haven't tried this lately, but usually worked for me. (Are you sure the variable your choosing has data attached to it in the exif )

Maybe you can try the same var in the tooltip or fullscreen info to see that it has data in that field.

4) Try maybe, View/Preview/"auto image size" or "zoom"
2) That works! Yay!
3) It's not related to EXIF, it's the generic file attributes. The others work, it's just everything in the "date format variables" menu that's seemingly broken.
4) Nope, it's not about preview at all, but rather the zoom level used when viewing the full image.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:
3) Ok, I just tried almost all of these and none seem to work in this section. The only date I could get to work are 'Modified" and "Created" Dates Vars.
Must be a BUG.Hopfully gets fixed, I Reported it Here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32898

4) Ok, I thought, Right click zoom/ lock the zoom level / exit, should hold, But it does not seem too. *Edit* I think i got this to work with no fit ticked
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32883
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Octopuss wrote: 3) It's not related to EXIF, it's the generic file attributes. The others work, it's just everything in the "date format variables" menu that's seemingly broken.
which date variable? it works for me
Pierre.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Octopuss wrote: 3) It's not related to EXIF
3) Depends

I also just found out you need an argument in front of, and inside brackets for these for it to work...

Example: {Creation Date [Y]}-##

This will rename by Exif year with a counter 2010-01, 2010-02
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Erixx haxx wrote:
Octopuss wrote: 3) It's not related to EXIF
3) Depends

I also just found out you need an argument in front of, and inside brackets for these for it to work...

Example: {Creation Date [Y]}-##

This will rename by Exif year with a counter 2010-01, 2010-02
That's too complicated for me to understand.
Also, I repeat: what I am talking about is not related to EXIF whatsoever. I am talking about the physical file's attributes: you know, the usual trio creation date, modifed date, last access date. Those are absolutely unrelated to anything inside the file.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

Octopuss wrote:That's too complicated for me to understand.
Ok I'll try to explain a little better.

1) When you use Var "[Y]' for year, This means nothing to xnviewmp until you pick another Var telling xnview the year you want. Their is different years.
Exif year, File modified year, Date created year. ect.ect

2) So for this we pick the date we want to use from the list in the drop down. I see 3 options, Accessed Date, Modified Date, (These 2 are file attributes)
Created Date, (This one is Exif:date created) by the way, from what i can tell. Wording is not the best throughout the program..

3) When we pick it, It looks as so. {Creation Date}. After this we can pick the var "[Y]" for it to print as format "Year" , but it must go inside the brackets
of {Creation Date} to look like this {Creation Date [Y]}. This example reads exif:date created and renames to 2010

4) This is really just setting the format string for the vars, {Creation Date}, {Accessed Date}, {Modified Date}. With [Y], [y], [m], [d], [h]
Similar to how VB code looks. It's called nesting
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Ok I understand now. But it's still horribly complicated :P Worst part is it makes no sense without any help at all, so completely new users like myself have no chance of figuring it out by themselves.

So of all the things I mentioned it's just the zoom level (aside from the drag thing which might be a bug) that's still annoying me. All in all, I really like MP. Especially the speed increase when working with RAW files (it's still not very fast, but at least it's not rage-inducing anymore).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Octopuss wrote: So of all the things I mentioned it's just the zoom level (aside from the drag thing which might be a bug) that's still annoying me.
this one?
The program doesn't seem to remember the last zoom level used if you press * (100%) upon opening another image (possibly because 100% is missing from the auto zoom level menu?).
Pierre.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

xnview wrote:
Octopuss wrote: So of all the things I mentioned it's just the zoom level (aside from the drag thing which might be a bug) that's still annoying me.
this one?
The program doesn't seem to remember the last zoom level used if you press * (100%) upon opening another image (possibly because 100% is missing from the auto zoom level menu?).
Yup that one. See my thread in the suggestions section for a bit more better explanation.