XnView Classic vs XnView MP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

XnView Classic vs XnView MP

Post by xnview »

If you use XnView Classic, you have tested XnView MP but continue to use XnView Classic, please tell me why?

XnView Classic advantages:
- Smaller
- Webpage
- Slideshow
- Contact sheet

XnView MP advantages:
- Better UI
- Unicode support
- XMP
- x64bits
Pierre.
Mixer
Banned

Re: XnView Classic vs XnView MP

Post by Mixer »

Because this http://www.xnview.com/mantisbt/view_all ... ASC&type=2 and list of other things I don't like about it and am too lazy to write it down.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Mixer wrote:Because this http://www.xnview.com/mantisbt/view_all ... ASC&type=2 and list of other things I don't like about it and am too lazy to write it down.
what do you means??? Bugs for XnView are not visible like XnView MP
Pierre.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

XnView Classic advantages:
- .Zip suupport +++
- Plugin support +++
- Webpage Creation
- GUI - Less Buggy
- Overall less Buggy and seems a little quicker
- Settings are Easier to understand, "Sometimes I Feel like i know what iIm doing."

XnView MP advantages:
- GUI - Can Customize +++
- GUI - Looks a little Nicer, Has Dark Theme option
- Can Zoom with mouse wheel on preview pane on mouse hover +++
- XMP
- Can Select Spot and zoom blowup in fullscreen +++

- Both Have Slightly different "Start with file" and "Mouse in Fullscreen options, Wish they both would take on each others missing mouse options
along with some that none have.
- No Exif support
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

xnview wrote:... please tell me why?
Hello, yes these 3 functionalities are missing into MP:
- Webpage
- Slideshow
- Contact sheet
... But I think it's mostly the habits, so the standardization (same behavior by default) between the two softs is important ;-)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Erixx haxx wrote: - Plugin support +++
Which plugin do you use?
- GUI - Less Buggy
- Settings are Easier to understand, "Sometimes I Feel like i know what iIm doing."
what do you means?
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

Well, I'm one of those who keep using Classic...
I toy with MP and go back to Classic. But I can see why you would wonder why folks would even do that, so I'm going to try to figure out why *I* have been doing that...

- If I move a lot of files from MP to a folder in Explorer, I have to *wait* before I can interact with MP again. In Classic I didn't have to wait.
- If I use MP to view a folder I have not viewed before, Classic seems faster - I don't have to wait as long before I start scrolling again.
- On startup to the same directory into browser mode, Classic is a bit faster - not too much, but a bit.
- Classic has grippers on the resize areas for the side panels.
- Classic displays icons in the Favourites panel (I made a post about this some time ago; apparently it was a difficult thing to achieve; but for me, icons mean instant visual recognition and I don't have read the folder names, so it is a boon for my workflow)

Also, I have to go through and try to apply settings... I've so many settings in Classic, and I want things just like that - to try to find equivalents in MP puts me off a little. I don't even get an "import similar settings" option - I have to start over from scratch.

Also, I lose my custom theme (but that is understandable).

So, after all of that, I guess I should find reasons why I should use MP instead.

- The slider for resizing the view in browser mode - I looooove this.
- The customization panel for the toolbars is very nice. I loooooove this, too.

I pledge to try and use MP on a daily basis rather than Classic. I'll return to this post and add more reasons to use MP.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

xnview wrote:
Erixx haxx wrote: - Plugin support +++
Which plugin do you use?
- GUI - Less Buggy
what do you means?
-- Plugins
1) I use mostly still the .zip packer. Sometimes the editor. I Just mainly like the concept that things can be added later. "This is not a deal breaker"

-- Settings
1) Settings seem to be worded a little better in some places and the mere fact that their are less settings make it easier to find and change something.
2) Lots of times i change a setting in MP and something totally unexpected happens. I also feel some setting are even listed under the wrong section and makes
them extra hard to find.
--I also think the Viewer should be named "Editor or Edit Board" and Fullscreen keeps its name "Fullscreen" or becomes "Viewer". Because thats what they do. Maybe do a "Poll"

-- GUI bugs
Lots of things here
1) When you pick the same "Restore layout" twice, Then the thickness of tabs under preview,info,categories Change from thick to thin.
When you restart they always default back to thick making you click restore again.
On top of this I have no way of knowing what layout is currently in use. "A tick or highlight would really help here". Option to rename layouts even better.

2) I reported this Titlebar/laytout bug a while back and is reason I don't use near as much anymore.
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32868

3) Other bugs include,
Tabs being cut in half or more and can not read them
Some window size problems during switching mode. Sometimes you get kicked back into windowed mode with a small window.
Some problems with the scroll in panes either jumping when it should hold, or not sync when you change file paths. "Haven't check for a while but I believe is still Present"

Others I forget now, but can update the list when i remember if you want me too.
photoken

Post by photoken »

xnview wrote:If you use XnView Classic, you have tested XnView MP but continue to use XnView Classic, please tell me why?
Win7 Pro x64, 16Gb RAM, i7 Core2 Quad processor @ 2.9Ghz.

i use both XnView Classic and XnView MP. I have my system set to open image files in XnView Classic by default because of two very important reasons:
  1. Classic offers Auto Image Size...Fit Image to Desktop. I prefer this so that the image is always opened to the maximum size possible.
  2. Classic is much faster when opening images. MP suffers from a 1-2 second delay before the image can be closed or edited. For example, when using Classic, I can open a downloaded image from within a Usenet application and instantly close and delete the image before MP has fully opened the image.
For all other purposes, especially when I need an image browser for directories, I use MP.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done...
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

I think the big clencher is that Classic is faster.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:I think the big clencher is that Classic is faster.
Hello,
Xnview classic is maybe a little bit faster to open, but slower for others processes, like batch processes and so ... and the "big bug" in xnview classic is it does not support unicode ...
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
BillBo

Post by BillBo »

I will not use the MP until the red-eye removal feature is added. A much used feature.

Bill
Mixer
Banned

Post by Mixer »

BillBo wrote:I will not use the MP until the red-eye removal feature is added. A much used feature.

Bill
Which will be supposedly next version.
See Issue 680 for current status and details.
I'm absolutely unrelated to process of development, I only check bug log sometimes.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Mixer wrote: [Red-eye] will be supposedly next version.
See Issue 680 for current status and details.
I'm absolutely unrelated to process of development, I only check bug log sometimes.
To be fair, the absence of red-eye removal is not a bug, and as far as I know Pierre hasn't mentioned on the forum the welcome news that it will be included in the next release...
Mixer
Banned

Post by Mixer »

Not a bug of course. That's why this feature is registered under Category "Requests". Some of features which are demanded by users, but which MP is missing yet, and also found bugs go to Mantis Bug Tracker database (who puts them there?). Remark "Fixed in Version 0.80" regarding red-eye removal probably suggests you will see it in next version of MP. And if I were interested in this feature, I would request custom button icon picturing eyeball covered by inflamed blood vessels being pulled out by the fork.