Distribution via Linux repositories. Gentoo ebuild LICENCE field. Dependecies

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

grem

Distribution via Linux repositories. Gentoo ebuild LICENCE field. Dependecies

Post by grem »

Hello!

I'm interesting to modify early existing user's gentoo-ebuild (installation script) of XnView and XnConvert therefor I would like to find out some additional information about XnView and XnConvert. Could developers clarify some states?
  • The gentoo ebuild-file has "LICENSE" field. In the user's ebuilds lying in the gentoo bugzilla it states as "LICENSE=freedist XnView" (I saved it temporary and also set "LICENSE=freedist XnConvert" for XnConvert package similar way).
    In the old topic it mentioned as "LICENSE=free-noncomm as-is".
    What short name of licence should be used indeed in such case for XnView and XnConvert taking in account that XnViewMP is free only for non-commercial use and requires registration for using in organisations?
  • As mentioned in XnView Licence agreement :
    XnView is provided as Freeware for private non-commercial or educational use, including non-profit organization (i.e. schools, universities, public authorities, police, fire brigade, and hospitals).

For commercial use and distribution, it is necessary to register. It is a help for the development of future versions.

You are granted the right to use and to make an unlimited number of copies of these software.
    and in XnConvert Licence:
    Installing and using these software (XnView, XnConvert) signifies acceptance of these terms and conditions of the license.

XnConvert is provided as freeware

You are granted the right to use and to make an unlimited number of copies of these software.
    Does it mean both XnView (for non-commercial) and XnConvert installation archives could be distributed via Linux repositories, in particularly via Gentoo mirrors?

Is XnConvert also freely available for commercial use in organisations?
  • Also I'm interesting in some build dependencies. The XnViewMP and XnConvert archives contains QtSensors libs that isn't required for starting application but I can't find where it could be used. I supposed that it's using by some image conversion operations to display CPU load or RAM usage, isn't it?
Thank you in advance!

P.S.
If someone is interesting in the working ebuild-files are in gentoo bugzilla (XnViewMP 0.87 and XnConvert 0.75). I hope that once they will be added to official portage tree.
I tested installation and successful launchig of XnView and XnConvert both with "bundled-libs" and without it (system qtlibs are used in that case).
Also additional USE-flag "gstreamer" is used to provide dependencies for XnView audio/video support. In this case I tested only playing of .vob files (from DVD-video) and .mp3. The "gstreamer" USE-flag brings "media-plugins/gts-plugins-meta:0.10" package to be installed. With "gst-plugins-meta:1.0" I wasn't able to play even .mp3-file. I use alsa in my system (I didn't make tests with pulseaudio installed), so I had to install apulse (via internal ebuild dependency) to start XnViewMP with "bundled-libs" as it want "libpulse.so.0" lib. But if XnViewMP installed without "bundled-libs" then no need in "libpulse.so.0" library to successfully launch application.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Distribution via Linux repositories. Gentoo ebuild LICENCE field. Dependecies

Post by xnview »

grem wrote: What short name of licence should be used indeed in such case for XnView and XnConvert taking in account that XnViewMP is free only for non-commercial use and requires registration for using in organisations?
Sorry but i don't know
Does it mean both XnView (for non-commercial) and XnConvert installation archives could be distributed via Linux repositories, in particularly via Gentoo mirrors?
yes
Is XnConvert also freely available for commercial use in organisations?
yes
[*]Also I'm interesting in some build dependencies. The XnViewMP and XnConvert archives contains QtSensors libs that isn't required for starting application but I can't find where it could be used. I supposed that it's using by some image conversion operations to display CPU load or RAM usage, isn't it?[/list]
I'll check if QtSensors is needed, it's for touch gesture
Pierre.
grem

Re: Distribution via Linux repositories. Gentoo ebuild LICENCE field. Dependecies

Post by grem »

Thank you for so quick reply.
xnview wrote:
grem wrote: What short name of licence should be used indeed in such case for XnView and XnConvert taking in account that XnViewMP is free only for non-commercial use and requires registration for using in organisations?
Sorry but i don't know
I suppose to leave the current LICENCE variable as "freedist XnView" and "freedist XnConvert" ("freedist" i.e "Freely Distributable") as it will allow to use currently existing licence-template of gentoo portage (that contains only text "Freely Distributable.") as phrase "You are granted the right to use and to make an unlimited number of copies of these software" is mentioning in both Licences. Otherwise it will requires additional files containing XnViewMP and XnConvert Licence agreement to be placed to portage tree.

I hope the developers aren't against it.
xnview wrote:
grem wrote: [*]Also I'm interesting in some build dependencies. The XnViewMP and XnConvert archives contains QtSensors libs that isn't required for starting application but I can't find where it could be used. I supposed that it's using by some image conversion operations to display CPU load or RAM usage, isn't it?[/list]
I'll check if QtSensors is needed, it's for touch gesture
Thanks, I'll make this library optional for users that will want to use system library set of Qt5 and leave it in case of using supplied library set.

Also I'll add to postinstall information message output:
XnView MP is provided as FREEWARE for private or educational use (including non-profit organizations).
If you intend to use XnView in a company, you must purchase a license.
grem

Post by grem »

Pierre,

one more question: does XnConvert still support limited number of functions with multi-threading support in Linux version?
Is it already known list of them? As example in the 2013 year the "Resize" supports multi-core only in windows version.

Thank you in advance!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

grem wrote:one more question: does XnConvert still support limited number of functions with multi-threading support in Linux version?
Is it already known list of them? As example in the 2013 year the "Resize" supports multi-core only in windows version.
i need to check, not sure that multi core is supported by the linux version
Pierre.
halcon

Post by halcon »

Hi.

Pierre, thank you for the excellent program XnView that you've written.

I am going to refresh the Gentoo ebuild as well. The ebuild will make little sense without possibility to use system libraries. And I've got a problem using system libraries, exactly like razvan described in that topic.

If I launch Xnview binary with system libraries instead of bundled ones (does not matter, directly or via shell script), it complains:

Code: Select all

/opt/XnView/XnView: symbol lookup error: /opt/XnView/XnView: undefined symbol: _ZNSt20bad_array_new_lengthD1Ev, version Qt_5
If I add the desired bundled library /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.12.8 and symlink /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5 to it, XnView complains:

/opt/XnView/XnView: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/XnView/XnView: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/XnView/XnView: error while loading shared libraries: libicudata.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
If I make symlinks for system libraries libicui18n.so, libicuuc.so, libicudata.so with desired names libicui18n.so.56, libicuuc.so.56, libicudata.so.56, XnView complains:

/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQtAV.so.1)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQtAVWidgets.so.1)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5MultimediaWidgets.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Svg.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5WebKitWidgets.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Widgets.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Multimedia.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5X11Extras.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Gui.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Network.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Concurrent.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Xml.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5OpenGL.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5WebKit.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Quick.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5WebChannel.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5Qml.so.5)
/opt/XnView/XnView: /opt/XnView/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libQt5QmlModels.so.5)
I'd like to ask you, Pierre, if possible, to disable these strong checks for versions at least in one Linux version (that .tgz?). I would appreciate it much (and other Linux users as well).
halcon

Post by halcon »

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for updating Qt to 5.15.0!