How to set up a library, display as folders, and filter by tags?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Lee James

How to set up a library, display as folders, and filter by tags?

Post by Lee James »

Please could someone help me?

I've been using XnView for a few years, but my photo collection is now huge and I really want to start tagging all my photos. I also want to be able to browse my entire photo collection as a library that I can filter by tags. This will give me a lot more control over my photo collection than having to navigate through folders.

So here is how I want it to work...
  1. I assign a folder as a library. XnView scans the folder and builds a database of everything contained in it.
  2. Now I can view the library in the thumbnail browser - it shows every single subfolder containing images. (Note, I don't want it to show photos, only containing folders.)
  3. In the corner of the screen, there's a "tags" panel which shows all the tags contained within the current library or sub-folder.
  4. If I select a tag (or multiple tags by Ctrl+clicking), the results are filtered down by the tags. (Still only folders are shown, not images.)
So, for example, I have all my personal photos in a folder called "Personal photos". In there, I have a subfolder for every year (2003, 2004, 2005 etc). In each year's folder, I have one folder for every session (eg "2004-11-04 Holiday With Dad"). So in total I have hundreds of folders containing photos. I want to be able to make all those folders appear in the thumbnail browser at once - and then when I click on tags, the results are filtered. (e.g., if I click on the "John" tag, it will only display folders containing photos tagged with "John".)

Can this be done in XnView?
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: How to set up a library, display as folders, and filter by tags?

Post by michel038 »

1) I assign a folder as a library. XnView scans the folder and builds a database of everything contained in it.
Read this thread viewtopic.php?f=82&t=36435
iptc or xmp tags will be read, and stored in "categories" database.

2)Now I can view the library in the thumbnail browser - it shows every single subfolder containing images. (Note, I don't want it to show photos, only containing folders.)
You can always view all photos and subfolders (like window explorer) in the browser. Select the folder you want to see.

3) In the corner of the screen, there's a "tags" panel which shows all the tags contained within the current library or sub-folder.
In the "categories filter" panel, you can see all categories. but the count of photos is only global for whole database.

4)If I select a tag (or multiple tags by Ctrl+clicking), the results are filtered down by the tags.
In the "Match" menu, select "current folder" or "current folder recursive" . You can now filter images by categories with Ctrl Click.

(Still only folders are shown, not images.) Only images are shown ...

Not easy for me to write in english ...
Perhaps someone will give better explanations
woostermatt

Post by woostermatt »

I am replying to this post because the OP's question is very similar to mine, but I still cannot figure out how to do what I need to do.

I have a folder of photos of different Christmas ornaments. The ornaments come in different categories, based on the qualities of the ornaments. I have created the categories in a hierarchy. For example

Ornament
A. Theme
1. Animals
a. Dog
b. Cat
c. Pig etc
2. Universities
a. Ohio State
b. Harvard
B. Construction
1. Glass
2. Metal
3. Wood
C. Color
1. Red
2. Blue
3. Green

And so forth.

I've tagged each ornament photo based on the above scheme.

What I would like to do now is be able to create a set of photos based on which keyword/tags I've used for each photo. So, for example, I'd like to create a set of photos of all ornaments that are Pigs, and are Red by simply clicking on the keyword/tags "Pig" and "Red".

The problem seems to be that when I click on "Pigs" and "Red" I also get ornaments that are Universities and are Red (example: Ohio State). See? In other words, it's returning all ornaments that are EITHER red, OR Pigs, because Ohio State ornaments are also red.

Can anyone tell me what I{'m doing wrong?

Thanks.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Did you choose the correct item in the drop down menu "Match" at the top of categories filter panel ?

If you check "All" , you will get only photos having pigs AND red ...

... for "NOT" condition, use "Alt" key ...
woostermatt

Post by woostermatt »

Ah! Great! I feel foolish that I didn't see that option...:)

Follow up question, if I could:

I am a retailer who goes to a wholsesale market in Atlanta every year. My photos are divided into separate subfolders, Example:

ATLANTA 2020 (Parent Folder)
1 - Company 1 (Subfolder of ATLANTA)
A - Ornaments (Subfolder of Company)
2 - Company 2 (Subfolder of ATLANTA)
3 - Company 3 (Subfolder of ATLANTA)

Etc etc...Make sense?

Question: In XnView, if I select the Parent folder "Atlanta 2020", will XnView include all photos found in the subfolders "Company" and Ornaments"?

Thank you SOOOO much for your help.

Best,

Matt
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Yes, if you display the parent folder in the browser, and choose "current folder, recursive" in the "Martch" menu :D
woostermatt

Post by woostermatt »

Thank you so much. I'm a bit of a newbie. You've saved me a lot of time hunting around trying to figure it out on my own.

PS I am SO impressed with this software, AND the service/support (you have replied to my questions in a matter of a few hours - amazing, and super helpful). I was using Adobe Bridge to try to do a lot of the things I was envisioning. WOW, not easy. And in fact, some of the simpler tasks are SO un-intuitive. (Example: I LOVE that, after filtering a folder using keywords/tags, I can Print or Export to a folder in seconds by simply right-clicking and using the pop-up menu. So easy and intuitive!!)

I hope I don't have to pester you anymore. I'll do my best to figure things out on my own.

Best (and merci beaucoup!!),

Matt