How to set up a library, display as folders, and filter by tags?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Lee James

How to set up a library, display as folders, and filter by tags?

Postby Lee James » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Please could someone help me?

I've been using XnView for a few years, but my photo collection is now huge and I really want to start tagging all my photos. I also want to be able to browse my entire photo collection as a library that I can filter by tags. This will give me a lot more control over my photo collection than having to navigate through folders.

So here is how I want it to work...

1. I assign a folder as a library. XnView scans the folder and builds a database of everything contained in it.
  2. Now I can view the library in the thumbnail browser - it shows every single subfolder containing images. (Note, I don't want it to show photos, only containing folders.)
  3. In the corner of the screen, there's a "tags" panel which shows all the tags contained within the current library or sub-folder.
  4. If I select a tag (or multiple tags by Ctrl+clicking), the results are filtered down by the tags. (Still only folders are shown, not images.)

So, for example, I have all my personal photos in a folder called "Personal photos". In there, I have a subfolder for every year (2003, 2004, 2005 etc). In each year's folder, I have one folder for every session (eg "2004-11-04 Holiday With Dad"). So in total I have hundreds of folders containing photos. I want to be able to make all those folders appear in the thumbnail browser at once - and then when I click on tags, the results are filtered. (e.g., if I click on the "John" tag, it will only display folders containing photos tagged with "John".)

Can this be done in XnView?

michel038

Re: How to set up a library, display as folders, and filter by tags?

Postby michel038 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm

1) I assign a folder as a library. XnView scans the folder and builds a database of everything contained in it.
Read this thread https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=36435
iptc or xmp tags will be read, and stored in "categories" database.

2)Now I can view the library in the thumbnail browser - it shows every single subfolder containing images. (Note, I don't want it to show photos, only containing folders.)
You can always view all photos and subfolders (like window explorer) in the browser. Select the folder you want to see.

3) In the corner of the screen, there's a "tags" panel which shows all the tags contained within the current library or sub-folder.
In the "categories filter" panel, you can see all categories. but the count of photos is only global for whole database.

4)If I select a tag (or multiple tags by Ctrl+clicking), the results are filtered down by the tags.
In the "Match" menu, select "current folder" or "current folder recursive" . You can now filter images by categories with Ctrl Click.

(Still only folders are shown, not images.) Only images are shown ...

Not easy for me to write in english ...
Perhaps someone will give better explanations

Return to “MP - General Support”