convert files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

paparazz

convert files

Post by paparazz »

Hi there, first of all thank you all for the great job you are doing,My name is Angelo and i am from Verona Italy. i've been checking it over in years and i see a massive work behind your software.
And now my questions
If I convert a series of files is it possible to convert them in a subfolder of the original folder as a standard?
It would be possible to assign to the new folder YYYYMMDD plus some text as a name for the folder?
Furthermore it would be possible to set the name of the new folder created after the iptc title and date of shooting or use itptc infp wildcard like: {iptcdate} - {caption}
Thank you in advance for everything
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: convert files

Post by xnview »

you can set name for subfolder in batch convert
Pierre.
paparazz

Post by paparazz »

Hi Pierre thanks for answering.
I am actually using batch convert and rename the folder each time.
What i meant was: is it possible to use some wild card telling the batch to name the resulting folder with the wild card "date" ?(I like to use dates before photos) so that the batch take care of what date is correct to set.
I see that this is something is already possible renaming files during batch convert.
Thank you again
Angelo
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you can use for example "date-{Current Date}\out##.jpg" as filename in batch convert
Pierre.
paparazz

Post by paparazz »

Hi Pierre thank you again for your patience..

I understood clearly how to rename a file after itpc title or time stamp.
My wish would be to create a renamed folder after iptc title.

Example now i do this:
My files are in 20180202 folder
i select some pictures in this folder and i want to convert, so i right click on the selected photos and i choose batch convert. There i apply 2 actions, one resizes the photos and the other action is to add iptc infos. Mainly i just write down the title to have a brief idea of what is about.
Then i choose the folder where i want my reconverted photos to go and i navigate to the folder where my pictures are and i add an inverted bracket / then i write down the date and the ipct title i copied from iptc field in the editor.
And convert the files

I used Photo Mechanic in my "windows former life"
With that program all i had to do was choose the files, open the batch convert user interface, I had alraedy set in the iptc title field : {Current Date [Ymd]} and i only have to do was add some descriptive text.
The destination folder was already set as a new folder crated to be a subfolder named like what was written in the iptc title.
So i didn't have to change that destination ever again.
So the result would be a new subfolder:
for example
20180202/20180202 My trip to Paris , whereas "My trip to Pari" is the text i added to iptc title field
I hope i explained that clearly enough

Sorry to bother you with my questions, i understand that probably is not possible to be done without changing the program but it's worth trying.

And sorry if i ask you another question.
Why there is not a caption/description field in the iptc editor? If i read the info in some other program i see that the title i write with xn view is seen as the caption but ther is no distinction between the two fields
Title and description are probably the most used iptc field one is for general overview the other is to describe more deeply what is a single picture about

Angelo