Search & catalog tutorial (migrating from Picasa)

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

eherle

Search & catalog tutorial (migrating from Picasa)

Post by eherle »

I am a long time Picasa user and considering to switch to XnViewMP. One of Picasa's strengths is the way you can search on tags, captions, album titles etc. You just type the a word and it finds the photos you are looking for. I am trying to understand how this works in XnViewMP, but sofar without little succes. I have found the little search box at the top of the screen, but that only searches for file and folder names. The search button provides more options, but than you have to add complicated search arguments, which seems pretty cumbersome to me (comparing this with Picasa)

I have read statements that XnViewMP is very good at cataloging and the like, but I have not been able to find good documentations or (video) tutorials how you can use XnViewMP to catalog and search your photos. So my hope is on you: the XnViewMP experts.
  • 1) Is there good info material (docs, videos) I can use to learn this?
    2) Are there any best practices to share for migrating your Picasa collection to XnViewMP?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Search & catalog tutorial (migrating from Picasa)

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, eherle.
eherle wrote:Is there good info material (docs, videos) I can use to learn this?
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19193&p=147480#p147480]Catch O' The Day[/url]) wrote:
  • Carl Seibert: XnView metadata How-ToPart 1 & Part 2 (07.Aug.2017)
    “XnView is a powerful photo browser, metadata editor, and batch conversion tool. In this How-To, we'll examine its metadata features in depth.”
eherle wrote:Are there any best practices to share for migrating your Picasa collection to XnViewMP?
eherle

Post by eherle »

Despite this good material, I cannot get my head around category sets. How do category sets work?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I'm assuming that you already went through the relevant part in the wiki article.
There's also a forum post by m.Th. explaining the rationale behind the introduction of categories sets.