Thumbnail display

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

eallsop

Thumbnail display

Post by eallsop »

I have just started using XnView MP and have a few issues with the display of thumbnails.

(I use Windows 10 Pro 64 bit).

1) I cannot see thumbnail images for MP4 files. They do display and work OK in Preview when I click on the icon. I also have MOV files which work perfectly and do show as thumbnails. I do have the "Show as Thumbnail" set in Custom Filter.

2) I cannot see thumbnails for 32 bit Photoshop images (psd) although 8 bit psd show thumbnails OK. (I haven't tried 16 bit).

3) I have DNG files and JPEG files of identical aspect ratio but the JPEG thumbnails have black bands at the top and bottom of the images (or left and right for portrait) in the thumbnail, but the DNG fit the thumbnail size exactly with no bands. How can I fit all thumbnail images to the thumbnail box size?

Finally, it would be great to be able to change the Format Colours for all file types. The drop down list does not contain all supported file types (eg CR2, MP4, MOV). Also, it would be clearer if the drop down list had the file extension listed rather than just a description. (I was looking for DNG files as "Digital Negative" but eventually found it as "Camera RAW". if it just said "dng" it would be easier.

Any help would be welcome.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Thumbnail display

Post by xnview »

eallsop wrote: 1) I cannot see thumbnail images for MP4 files. They do display and work OK in Preview when I click on the icon. I also have MOV files which work perfectly and do show as thumbnails. I do have the "Show as Thumbnail" set in Custom Filter.
To create thumbnails, XnView use installed codecs (like Klite codec pack)
2) I cannot see thumbnails for 32 bit Photoshop images (psd) although 8 bit psd show thumbnails OK. (I haven't tried 16 bit).
could you send me a sample file?
3) I have DNG files and JPEG files of identical aspect ratio but the JPEG thumbnails have black bands at the top and bottom of the images (or left and right for portrait) in the thumbnail, but the DNG fit the thumbnail size exactly with no bands. How can I fit all thumbnail images to the thumbnail box size?
it's the embedded thumbnail, you can change in settings>Thumbnail>Use embedded thumbnail
Pierre.
eallsop

Post by eallsop »

Thank you for the quick reply.

Do you mean I need to install Klite to be able to see MP4 thumbnails? Where do I install it?

It will not let me attach the psd file to this reply. It says invalid file extension!

I've attached a screen capture of part of the XnView MP screen showing the 32 bit psd file that only shows an icon not a thumbnail. If I double click on this icon the image opens correctly in Photoshop. This screen capture also shows an 8 bit PSD file which displays perfectly.

Also on this screen capture are JPEG files and DNG files which are all identical aspect ratio and resolution (4000 x 2250 pixels). You will see that the DNG files fit the shadow frame perfectly but the JPEG images have a larger shadow frame but have black space at the top and bottom of the image. I have tried all settings associated with embedded thumbnails but they make no difference to how the images are displayed.

Sorry. It wont let me post any attachments. It says Board Attachment Quota has been reached!

Thanks for your help.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you can send to contact @ xnview . com
Pierre.