Photoshop does not save image when MP has same directory opened

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

antineff

Photoshop does not save image when MP has same directory opened

Post by antineff »

I think this might be worth a bug report, but I could not find any thread about this subject, which makes me insecure. So, I like to find out first if anybody else encouteres the same problem:

When opening a jpg image file in XnViewMP for Photoshop CS6 as external editor, this all works fine until you try to save the edited image as a photoshop format psd file. Photoshop will not do this but comes out with an error message saying the file is already opened by another program. If you save it as jpeg back to the same name it will do this without any problems.

The situation is worse if you open an existing psd file any way in Photoshop while MP is opened in the same directory. It will not save the newly edited file either. Coming out with the above mentioned message again. If you now somehow close the image in Photoshop or completely shut down PS without having saved the file, it will be completely erased from disk! With no copy in the Dustbin! It is simply gone to Nirvana!

I'm using Windows 7 Home premium and I am able to reproduce the error at any time.

As a workaround when the error occurs, I shut down MP, save the file in Photoshop and afterwards open MP again.

Although the error occurs in Photoshop, I'm sure the reason lays somewhere in the filehandling of MP. It seems as if the files are somehow tagged "read only" by MP so that PS cannot update them, but primarily psd files. And funny, that the error occurs as well when a new file is created.

* of course I'm using the newest version of MP, too!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Photoshop does not save image when MP has same directory opened

Post by xnview »

you can reproduce it each time? i've tried with Photoshop CC 2018, and no problem here
Pierre.
antineff

Post by antineff »

Hi Pierre,

Yes, reproducable! Everytime! It obviously doesn't work together. At least in my configuration (if nobody else encounters this with PS CS6!). Maybe CS6 is already too outdated and nobody using it anymore, then my cards are bad, if my case is lacking public interest.

So, maybe something is wrong with my configuration, though I'd say it usually works fine! Glad, that somehow at all it is posible to work around this issue!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you use the 0.90?
Pierre.