Calculate total number of pixels

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mrwul

Calculate total number of pixels

Post by mrwul »

I have been trying to find out myself and got lost on Internet reading about DPI and PPI and resolution and whatever
Would it be possible to add a column showing total size in pixels ?

Is that just W x H (e.g. 512 x 650) = 332800? Or does it depend on screen resolution?
Sorting on total pixels I could batch delete small images without having to view them one by one.

-
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Calculate total number of pixels

Post by xnview »

total pixels = W x H, Size in inches or cm depend of DPI
Pierre.
mrwul

Post by mrwul »

Then, I assume, this is correct then ?

SnagIt-28042018 131426.png
-
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

mrwul wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:20 am Then, I assume, this is correct then ?

Yes... :D
mrwul

Post by mrwul »

Thanks.
I've looked all over Internet, checked out quite a number of imageviewers (within VM) - but haven't found any image viewer that offers a column with with 'Total Pixels'.

I have another thread about how I can filter/select and then batch delete images that are below a specific size, because they show up too small on the monitor. Maybe .. it would be an idea to add such a column?
Some images are portrait shot photos, other are landscape.
So, I can not sort on Width only and delete all with a small width, because photos are shot portrait and as portrait shot, they have a decent size.

My guess is that I should then delete images below a certain 'total pixels'-size, because they are then just too small, no matter width or height.

Just a suggestion.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

mrwul wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am I've looked all over Internet, checked out quite a number of image viewers (within VM) - but haven't found any image viewer that offers a column with with 'Total Pixels'.

I have another thread about how I can filter/select and then batch delete images that are below a specific size, because they show up too small on the monitor. Maybe .. it would be an idea to add such a column?

Maybe, but if no existing image viewer displays Total Pixels that suggests that there is little need for the function... It would probably be easy to add, but Pierre has a high workload at present.

mrwul wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am Some images are portrait shot photos, other are landscape.

So, I cannot sort on Width only and delete all with a small width, because photos are shot portrait and as portrait shot, they have a decent size.

As images normally have a reasonably low ratio of width to height, maybe in practice you could select images using just a minimum width, for example?

Or if not, determine minimum width pixel dimensions, and minimum height pixel dimensions, and then check that both are satisfied?