Problem with rating

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Tschens

Problem with rating

Post by Tschens »

Hello,
This is my first posting here. I am an underwater photographer and started to categorize my pics recently. XnView fulfills my needs perfectly, it is much much faster than Capture One and complements my workflow to perfection. Thanks for this excellent piece of software!

However, I have the following problem:
Although some pics are NOT yet rated using XnViewMP, they are shown in the 5*-List when I activate the 5* category filter (also the small violet 5*-Logo above the pic is NOT shown). Obviously, the pics were already rated earlier by lightroom, Capture One or whatever. All these files have in commonn that they are jpg files and show the small XMP "Logo" unter the thumbnail. How can I remove that in order to re-rate them correctly? I already searched for xmp files and erased them all, but the pics still are shown as 5*.
Thx a lot for any help.
Jens

edit: I just realized that my problem only exists when I use the category filter in the left hand quick access menu (category filter). When I choose it from the upper menu (in German: "Ansicht/Filtern/5* Sehr Gut"), it works perfectly fine. Is it a bug or a feature? :-)
Olympus OMD E-M1, BS Kinetics underwater housing, 2xSubtronic pro 160 flashes. Zuiko mFT lenses: 60 macro, 7-14, 8 mm fisheye, 12-100, PanaLeica 100-400.
My Homepage | My book at Amazon
Tschens

Re: Problem with rating

Post by Tschens »

I think it is a bug. I could get rid of some wrong rated files by klicking "view/update calalog from files" und "view/update files from catalog."
However, this only works for files. If there are FOLDERS that were marked as "5*", they stay forever as 5* and cant be changed back any more. When I erase the folder via XnViewMP, and click on the 5*-filter, it is still there! See screenshot (folder named "LQ"). It is burned into the database forever, erasing doesnt help, it re-appears as soon as I click the 5* filter.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Olympus OMD E-M1, BS Kinetics underwater housing, 2xSubtronic pro 160 flashes. Zuiko mFT lenses: 60 macro, 7-14, 8 mm fisheye, 12-100, PanaLeica 100-400.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

if i understand correctly, you have files with rating in XMP metadata, and you want to use database rating only?
On folder, if you unrate it?
Pierre.
Tschens

Post by Tschens »

Even if I erased all xml files, I could not get rid of the wrong rating. As shown in the screehshot I posted, obviously the FOLDER but not the files inside the folder were somehow rated as 5* in the database (although there was no 5* "logo above the folder). I could repair it by the following workaround:

- Erase the problematic folder with XnViewMP (make backup before)
- Copy jpg exactly to the place where the folder was, and rename it to the name of the folder that was erased (without jpg ending!!). XnView handles this file as a jpg file, although it has no .jpg ending.
- erase this file with XnViewMP (obviously, this removes the wrong entry from the database)
- copy the backup back to its original place
--> strange database entry ("LQ" in my case) is gone!

I tried to reproduce this error, but I cant. I have no idea how it happened.
However, problem solved, reason unknown. I will post again if it re-appears in order to narrow down the issue.
Regards,
Jens