0.91 Beta2: Can XnView update DNG thumbnail/preview after editing in Photoshop?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

cadu

0.91 Beta2: Can XnView update DNG thumbnail/preview after editing in Photoshop?

Post by cadu »

Hi,

As shown in this screencast (http://bit.ly/2tXDBJA), I created a DNG file using Photoshop. The first thumbnail/preview is read/presented perfectly by XnView.

Then I opened the DNG and performed another editing session. After closing photoshop, the thumbnail was NOT updated by XnView. Then I tried View>Rebuild Thumbnails / Refresh / Update catalog from files. None of these procedures updated the DNG.

Given Photoshop refresh thumbnails inside DNGs after each editing session (native DNG write, no XMP generated), I was expecting to see updated thumbnails in XnView.

Can XnView update DNG thumbnail after each editing session in Photoshop?

Thanks for assistance,
Carlos
cadu

Re: 0.91 Beta2: Can XnView update DNG thumbnail/preview after editing in Photoshop?

Post by cadu »

I just realize CameraRaw preference "Update embedded JPEG previews" should be set firstly (see image below).
After that XnView works as expected. So, no issues at all with XnView preview of DNG thumbnails.
Nonetheless, I'm still having a question:
In order to XnView shows the updated thumbnail/preview, you need to manually trigger either view> (a) refresh or (b) rebuild thumbnails.
Since both of this functions update the thumbnail/preview, what is the difference on triggering (a) refresh or (b) rebuild thumbnails?
Are any recommendation to use one instead of the other?
Thanks,
Carlos
Photoshop_2018-07-05_22-30-35.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.91 Beta2: Can XnView update DNG thumbnail/preview after editing in Photoshop?

Post by xnview »

cadu wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm Since both of this functions update the thumbnail/preview, what is the difference on triggering (a) refresh or (b) rebuild thumbnails?
Refresh check only if new files
Rebuild thumbnails re-create thumbnails from files
Pierre.