Slideshow/Quick Slideshow Enhancement Requests

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jgh

Slideshow/Quick Slideshow Enhancement Requests

Post by jgh »

Coming out of my post in viewtopic.php?f=110&t=37181, a more more general enhancement request in this area.

Background: what I primarily want XnViewMP for is to look at images (normally fullscreen) - either individual files, or folders (possibly with sub folders) full of them that I can just go through manually or on a timer: and my judgement (continued use!) on it as a product starts with this. If I can't easily/readily do this, then 'Do not pass Go, do not collect £200' as the Monopoly game goes, if I can then I'll explore all the other things it can do...

For looking at an individual file - fine, I can do that ok.

If I have a folder of images... then there is 'Quick Slideshow' - once I've selected an image and gone into view mode - and (now, and being sorted out) 'Slideshow' - once I've gone through the hassle of setting one up.

Different things, with different functionality and options, and neither providing my optimal function.

So... first - sort out the differences:

In functionality: My hope and expectation would be that Space Bar for Pause; and left/right arrow and PageUp/PageDown keys for prev/next to all work on both slideshow and Quick Slideshow; and also I would hope that, as in other apps, up/down arrow keys would also work for prev/next. At the moment Slideshow and Quick Slideshow offer a different subset of these (Slideshow has no Page Up/Dn functionality, Quick Slideshow no pause)

Options: they should have - as far as possible - all the same options available, and in the case of timer, in the same units (seconds or milliseconds - more important they're the same than which is used). Slideshow has most of what I want. the most obvious addition would be exit or stick (with message) at end (loop is already there)

And then - for my optimal functionality - an 'Instant Slideshow' (to be distinct from the current Quick Slideshow) function, available from (Windows) Explorer (Right click, 'XnViewMP Instant Slide Show') or XnViewMP Browser against a folder - in the 'folder view' or main panel, by right click menu, or tool bar icon for current folder. A choice of options (full screen? include sub-folders? just images or also ...? ...) - that can be saved as a default for the future - and away...
wombat62

Re: Slideshow/Quick Slideshow Enhancement Requests

Post by wombat62 »

I would like to support jgh's "Slideshow/Quick Slideshow Enhancement Requests" above (with some additional thoughts...)

I've been a keen user of (& donater to) XnView since the early days - it's a terrific product. But like jgh, the Slideshow has been one of the core elements of the software for me. I'm just finding my way around the setup and operation of MP now. I've waited for XnView MP to develop & include more of the XnView Classic features before I crossed over.

So assuming the operations of both Quick & standard Slideshow could be made the same (as detailed above), can you REINSTATE these ESSENTIAL features from XnView Classic;
+ the ability to View Info 'on the run' within the standard Slideshow? (that is, the single click on 'i" for Info reveals your predetermined Information panel. I use this feature to reveal embedded IPTC Captions for memory prompts when showing Slideshows, or for personal reference when studying for horticultural ident tests).
+ the option to adjust Slideshow > Text Settings > OPACITY (info panels, if one-time activated, regularly obliterate the image due to their size!).
+ the ability to SORT the selected files list WITHIN the Slideshow dialogue box. (It's so important to have these 'last step' options as its frequently more intuitive at this point of the Slideshow setup. With a large collection of folders to initially select from, the early stage of filtering images by rating and tag can be time-consuming; sorting choices may make different sense when all the images are collated).
+ the option to have an .sld shortcut default to the current folder would GREAT. (At the moment, it defaults into the XnView setup folder, requiring much navigation to find the .sld and move it back to a quickly useful place).

A final mention for Browser Mode view;
+ the option to ENLARGE the Ratings and Tag label icons in Browser mode (option in Settings > View > Show Ratings and Colour Label). At the moment, they don't pass the 'accessibility test' (even on a large laptop screen with fair eyesight, the number in the stars can't be easily read.

Hoping the "i" button info option can be reinstated asasp :)
Cheers
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jgh wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 pm In functionality: My hope and expectation would be that Space Bar for Pause; and left/right arrow and PageUp/PageDown keys for prev/next to all work on both slideshow and Quick Slideshow; and also I would hope that, as in other apps, up/down arrow keys would also work for prev/next. At the moment Slideshow and Quick Slideshow offer a different subset of these (Slideshow has no Page Up/Dn functionality, Quick Slideshow no pause)
You have arrow keys in Slideshow
For Quick Slideshow, you can use spacebar Settings>Interface>Keyboard
And then - for my optimal functionality - an 'Instant Slideshow' (to be distinct from the current Quick Slideshow) function, available from (Windows) Explorer (Right click, 'XnViewMP Instant Slide Show') or XnViewMP Browser against a folder - in the 'folder view' or main panel, by right click menu, or tool bar icon for current folder. A choice of options (full screen? include sub-folders? just images or also ...? ...) - that can be saved as a default for the future - and away...
You means to have 'start slideshow' in context menu of folder view?
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

wombat62 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:15 pm + the ability to View Info 'on the run' within the standard Slideshow? (that is, the single click on 'i" for Info reveals your predetermined Information panel. I use this feature to reveal embedded IPTC Captions for memory prompts when showing Slideshows, or for personal reference when studying for horticultural ident tests).
you can sort by clicking on the header of filelist
+ the option to adjust Slideshow > Text Settings > OPACITY (info panels, if one-time activated, regularly obliterate the image due to their size!).
You can set alpha for text color
+ the ability to SORT the selected files list WITHIN the Slideshow dialogue box. (It's so important to have these 'last step' options as its frequently more intuitive at this point of the Slideshow setup. With a large collection of folders to initially select from, the early stage of filtering images by rating and tag can be time-consuming; sorting choices may make different sense when all the images are collated).
will be added
+ the option to have an .sld shortcut default to the current folder would GREAT. (At the moment, it defaults into the XnView setup folder, requiring much
navigation to find the .sld and move it back to a quickly useful place).
Could you explain more?
+ the option to ENLARGE the Ratings and Tag label icons in Browser mode (option in Settings > View > Show Ratings and Colour Label). At the moment, they don't pass the 'accessibility test' (even on a large laptop screen with fair eyesight, the number in the stars can't be easily read.
by x2?
Pierre.
wombat62

Post by wombat62 »

HI Pierre,
and thanks for replying to these important comments about how we use XnView for the core purpose of viewing.

In case 'jgh' doesn't get back to you soon, I think I can paraphrase their comments with this;
* when you're engrossed in looking at a slideshow of images, you may not think about which type of Slideshow (standard or 'Quick') you're using. Therefore - for good functionality - Slideshow controls should be the same for both Slideshow and Quick Slideshow; using the same controls throughout then becomes intuitive. (At the moment, I might go: press Right Arrow [no effect], "oh yes, I'm NOT in Slideshow, I'm in Quick Slideshow", use Spacebar!)

* yes, add "Quick Slideshow" to Context Menu (right click) of XnView Folder Tree

* yes, add "XnView Quick Slideshow" to Context Menu (right click) of Windows Explorer (this is not so important for me)

to this I'd really recommend;
* yes, add "Quick Slideshow" to Context Menu (right click) of BROWSER.
When you're assessing your thumbnails in Browser Mode, this seems the most likely time (& most intuitive way) you'll want to suddenly go into a (Full Screen) Quick Slideshow. (I know you can press Enter to open the image, then Spacebar to start Quick Slideshow now = same number of steps, but less intuitive and is not in Full Screen).

OK, back to me :)
[sorry, I'm a little confused by your replies which seem to be quoting the wrong paragraphs?]

I'll simplify my own comments:
When VIEWING a standard "Slideshow" or "Quick Slideshow;"
* add (ie. REINSTATE from XnView Classic) the ability to hit the "i" key to instantly turn ON or OFF "Show information." Please, please, please - SO essential to me & others :)

* add (ie. REINSTATE from XnView Classic) the ability to change the OPACITY of the "Show information" panel.
(I know you said you can change the alpha of Text, but it's essential to be able to change the OPACITY of Text and Background together; for best accessibility, this allows you to create a bespoke colour/opacity for the panel so that it reads clearly overlaid on to most of your photos.
For example, in my XnView Classic "information" panels, I use Arial Bold 14 in 'Navy' over a light grey background with Opacity set together at 150. Remember that an "information" panel can fill the screen - my travel photos can have many paragraphs of Caption text cut 'n pasted from digital Tour Guide notes.
As there is no limit to this amount of information panel text [?] I also wonder if there could ever be the ability to scroll this on screen?)

Also, to make clear my other recommendations:
* Slideshow > Settings > Save...
Have the Filepath (location) of the saved .sld file default to the folder where the images are stored (i.e in the folder where you are currently creating the Slideshow from). This would save SO much time trying to locate the .sld files in future. (For example, I store my bespoke *.sld ['shortcut'] files in the top folder of the subject, like "China Tour" alongside all the 'tour day' folders).

* yes, ENLARGE the Ratings and Tag label icons in Browser mode to x1.5 (would be more readible than the current size for a 17" laptop screen, without overly 'ruining' a clear Full Screen image.)

thanks again :)
w62