XnviewMP starting very slow

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnviewMP starting very slow

Post by xnview »

i've sent you a PM
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

TGB_72 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 pm No, like I said above I'm using XnView MP on Windows 7 64bit.
It seems that the problem comes from QT librairies, i have contacted the support, i wait...
Pierre.
musigreg

Post by musigreg »

crimle wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:31 pm I am an enthusiastic Xnview user. I had Xnview installed and now I am trying XnviewMP. The program looks quite good, but there is one issue: the program is starting ver, very slow indeed. I double-click a very small image (jpg, 5 KB) and it will be displayed after ~7 seconds. The old Xnview was much faster. The same image was displayed by Xnview after 1 or 2 seconds.

Kind regards
Christof
Hey,

I know this is a really old thread. 8)
But I got here by Googling my problem, which was the same. And I found out what happened.
So I figured I'd post a solution here so it's easy to find for others :

I regularly clear the thumbnail cache via the settings, but then, when I went to the folder where it was supposed to "not" be, it was still there and weighted like 1Gb..... :shock:
After I got rid of it manually, everything went back to normal.

I hope this helps someone. :wink:

FYI :
XnViewMP
Version 0.84 x64 (Jan 12 2017)
default path for your "Thumb.db" : %appdata%\XnViewMP
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

musigreg wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 pm I regularly clear the thumbnail cache via the settings, but then, when I went to the folder where it was supposed to "not" be, it was still there and weighted like 1Gb..... :shock:
After I got rid of it manually, everything went back to normal.
After 'cleaning catalog', the thumbnails was always cached?
Pierre.
crimle

Post by crimle »

I found a solution that makes Xnview start much faster. Go to:

- Tools > Options > System integration > Save options
- Choose «in registry» instead of «as INI in folder»
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

crimle wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:03 pm I found a solution that makes Xnview start much faster. Go to:

much faster?
Pierre.
Geriel

Post by Geriel »

xnview wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:22 pm
crimle wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:03 pm I found a solution that makes Xnview start much faster. Go to:

much faster?
I know this is old but has been bugging me for a long time now and was searching for a solution, I can say before setting the INI to Registry I was waiting for about 5 seconds to open a picture in "normal mode" by double click on a file in a Windows Explorer Folder

After set the INI as Registry it finally got fixed and now any picture I open takes 1 second, as it usually should, and only was able to do if I had previously open a XnViewMP window already.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Geriel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:28 pm
xnview wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:22 pm

much faster?
I know this is old but has been bugging me for a long time now and was searching for a solution, I can say before setting the INI to Registry I was waiting for about 5 seconds to open a picture in "normal mode" by double click on a file in a Windows Explorer Folder

After set the INI as Registry it finally got fixed and now any picture I open takes 1 second, as it usually should, and only was able to do if I had previously open a XnViewMP window already.
I tried doing this but nothing changes for me. But for me this issue is even worse. It takes a couple of minutes for XnviewMP to start. And I'm pretty sure it's not my pc. Xnview classic works just fine but I got used to the dark theme to much :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

MikeB wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:32 pm I tried doing this but nothing changes for me. But for me this issue is even worse. It takes a couple of minutes for XnviewMP to start. And I'm pretty sure it's not my pc. Xnview classic works just fine but I got used to the dark theme to much :)
Lastest version?
Pierre.
pokuly

Post by pokuly »

The first start of MP takes 3 seconds once a day since i use Win 11. After that it starts immediately. On Win 10 it was fine.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pokuly wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:36 am The first start of MP takes 3 seconds once a day since i use Win 11. After that it starts immediately. On Win 10 it was fine.
First start (after a reboot) can take some seconds even on Windows 10
Pierre.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

I had the same issue, when first clicking on a image, there was a new delay of a few seconds before displaying it. this was a new phenomenon, normally it's pretty fast. So I browsed this forum for more information. I finally figured out what caused the delay so I wanted to share it here. I'm on Win 10 with XnViewMP version 1.0. A few days ago, I clicked on some linux distributions ISO files which were mounted as disk drives in Windows and it persisted after reboots, but I didn't notice it. So I right clicked on those pseudo drives and ejected them. Now clicking on an image display it instantaneously. Hope it helps someone.

Étant utilisateur de longue date, juste pour dire merci aussi à l'auteur du logiciel.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ginkgo wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:04 pm I had the same issue, when first clicking on a image, there was a new delay of a few seconds before displaying it. this was a new phenomenon, normally it's pretty fast. So I browsed this forum for more information. I finally figured out what caused the delay so I wanted to share it here. I'm on Win 10 with XnViewMP version 1.0. A few days ago, I clicked on some linux distributions ISO files which were mounted as disk drives in Windows and it persisted after reboots, but I didn't notice it. So I right clicked on those pseudo drives and ejected them. Now clicking on an image display it instantaneously. Hope it helps someone.
with 0.99.7, you had no delay?
Pierre.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

I didn't change version, it all happened during 1.0 over the last few days, once there was like 3 virtual mounted disk from ISO images, displaying an image got real slow, once I ejected these virtual mounted disks, it was fine again.
Tm42Dr61

Post by Tm42Dr61 »

I tried the "registry instead of as INI in folder" change and the speedup was phenomenal. from like 10-15 seconds to less than 1. It also wiped my custom key for quick slideshow, but it's a small problem and a fair trade :-) I then set it back to INI file again and it's still equally fast!