Retain Settings when Updating

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

J McDowell

Retain Settings when Updating

Post by J McDowell »

Hello:

I'm new here, I expect that this is something simple.

When I just updated from .91 to .92 on a Mac I lost all my customizations. Which files do I need to back up and restore in the future to maintain my settings?
quapurna

Re: Retain Settings when Updating

Post by quapurna »

As far as I know, the setting is here:

Menu > Tools > Settings > Integration > Paths

I use the portable version (zip) on windows10.
After installing a new version, I copy the "xnview.ini" file from old folder to the new installation folder.

For the "catalog, thumbnail database, other file" , I set them to be put in a folder I named "XnViewMP-settings"
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

quapurna wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:00 pm As far as I know, the setting is here:

Menu > Tools > Settings > Integration > Paths

I use the portable version (zip) on windows10.
After installing a new version, I copy the "xnview.ini" file from old folder to the new installation folder.

For the "catalog, thumbnail database, other file" , I set them to be put in a folder I named "XnViewMP-settings"

When a new version is installed using the installer download, the existing settings are presumably retained?

Could someone please confirm that to be sure...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

When you update the version, previous settings are kept, they are saved in .xnviewmp folder
Pierre.
J McDowell

Post by J McDowell »

I had the setting under "Paths" for the XNView Settings .ini file set to "Program (XnView)." With that I'm guessing that the settings file was overwritten when I updated to .92.

I've changed it to place the files in the "User (System)" location. Hopefully this will resolve the issue moving forward.

Thanks.
J McDowell

Post by J McDowell »

I just posted a reply but it would seem that I spoke too soon.

Selecting Use .ini in folder "User (System)" is not retained through program closes and restarts. None of the settings were kept between closing and reopening the program. Copying the settings files back into the program location didn't help either (the program still reverted to it's defaults.)

As this is on a Mac I expect it's platform specific.

Looks like this perhaps should be moved to a bug report.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

J McDowell wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:43 pm Selecting Use .ini in folder "User (System)" is not retained through program closes and restarts. None of the settings were kept between closing and reopening the program. Copying the settings files back into the program location didn't help either (the program still reverted to it's defaults.)
do you have a .xnviewmp folder in your home?
Pierre.