Make jpg file size larger

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

obelisk

Make jpg file size larger

Post by obelisk »

I'm resizing some photos and they're studio so compress quite well. Even at 100% quality jpg it's 1.5mb. Low quality print supplier has a requirement that the file is certain MB, not res. How can I make this jpg larger without adding noise?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Make jpg file size larger

Post by cday »

obelisk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 am I'm resizing some photos and they're studio so compress quite well. Even at 100% quality jpg it's 1.5mb. Low quality print supplier has a requirement that the file is certain MB, not res. How can I make this jpg larger without adding noise?
To be clear, could the low quality print supplier possibly require a specified uncompressed size?
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

I don't really know, but every now and then a cheap printer specifies files in mb instead of pixels. It's a sign to stay away but I can't control what people want to use :(
Perhaps I could save as bmp or tif, but being able to make huge jpg would also be a skill.
I've seen some people with 11mb jpg that if you open and save at 90% it's 2mb. I don't know how they make it huge.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

obelisk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:32 am I don't really know, but every now and then a cheap printer specifies files in mb instead of pixels. It's a sign to stay away but I can't control what people want to use :(
In a specific case couldn't you clarify what the printer actually needs?

Perhaps I could save as bmp or tif...
But would they accept a format other than JPEG?

... but being able to make huge jpg would also be a skill.
I've seen some people with 11mb jpg that if you open and save at 90% it's 2mb. I don't know how they make it huge.
Maybe... But as you've said yourself, compressed size depends very much on the particular image.
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

Yeah, if only they could listen. But they won't listen to me and what kinda crap printer doesn't understand res vs bytes
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

obelisk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 am Yeah, if only they could listen. But they won't listen to me and what kinda crap printer doesn't understand res vs bytes
I suspect that they may really be interested in the pixel dimensions of images, which could relate directly to the way that they use the images... In that case you would probably need to downsample your images until the file size when saved uncompressed is as required.

The size of the uncompressed file would be a direct measure of an image's pixel dimensions, I presume.