Way to set dwg file display resolution?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

vren

Way to set dwg file display resolution?

Post by vren »

Hello, is there a way to set the dwg file display resolution in XnView MP ? The current resolution is too low to see the details.

I checked in the Settings-Interface-Format-Read but did not find an option for dwg.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Way to set dwg file display resolution?

Post by cday »

vren wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:28 pm Hello, is there a way to set the dwg file display resolution in XnView MP ? The current resolution is too low to see the details.

I checked in the Settings-Interface-Format-Read but did not find an option for dwg.
Maybe I'm missing something, but DWG files are vector drawings that may contain a lot of detail but should scale without loss in the way that a vector font scales: isn't the answer to zoom in?
vren

Post by vren »

I think XnView MP currently show dwg file as a picture in both browser and viewer, not as vectors, if you zoom in you will see the pixels. It would be good if there is a way to force it to show as a vector, otherwise is there an option to set the resolution?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

vren wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:46 pm I think XnView MP currently show dwg file as a picture in both browser and viewer, not as vectors, if you zoom in you will see the pixels. It would be good if there is a way to force it to show as a vector, otherwise is there an option to set the resolution?
Image viewers always ultimately display pixels!

A scalable vector font, as in a word processor or in a PDF file, is rendered on the screen as pixels, the point is that vector content does not degrade when scaled the way that a bitmap font or graphic degrades. Put another way, you can zoom in and in with a vector shape and the outline remains smooth, limited only by the screen resolution.

If you are having a problem displaying a particular DWG file satisfactorily perhaps it is a limitation of the file: do you have a file you can upload to illustrate the problem (2MiB the current forum attachment limit, and in a ZIP or similar archive so that it can be attached)?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

I hope the following information is of use to you:
XnTriq wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:30 amI had to install %ProgramFiles%\XnView\Plugins\CS_Manager.exe.
The settings are saved in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SoftGold\
Soft Gold ([url=http://www.cadsofttools.com/en/products/plugins_for_3d-party_programs.html]Plugins for 3d-party programs[/url] » CS_Manager) wrote:
Small free application allows to:
  • Input registration data
  • Change size of CAD image (DIB)
  • Change between color and black-white mode
vren

Post by vren »

cday wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm
vren wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:46 pm I think XnView MP currently show dwg file as a picture in both browser and viewer, not as vectors, if you zoom in you will see the pixels. It would be good if there is a way to force it to show as a vector, otherwise is there an option to set the resolution?
Image viewers always ultimately display pixels!

A scalable vector font, as in a word processor or in a PDF file, is rendered on the screen as pixels, the point is that vector content does not degrade when scaled the way that a bitmap font or graphic degrades. Put another way, you can zoom in and in with a vector shape and the outline remains smooth, limited only by the screen resolution.

If you are having a problem displaying a particular DWG file satisfactorily perhaps it is a limitation of the file: do you have a file you can upload to illustrate the problem (2MiB the current forum attachment limit, and in a ZIP or similar archive so that it can be attached)?
Sorry I could not upload the dwg file as this is project related. Attached is what I saw in both Browser and Viewer. I have the low resolution issue with all the dwg files, not just one. I checked the format and they are in autocad 2013 format.
Attachments
XnView_dwg1.PNG
XnView_dwg1.PNG (9.56 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
vren

Post by vren »

Thanks XnTriq for the information. I installed the CS_manager.exe and set the same parameters as shown in your picture, and verified the registry key have the same value, but the resolution in XnView MP did not change.
Actually, I checked the installation folder of XnView MP, and did not find the CADImage.dll and those CS_xxx.dll. If XnView MP use the cadsofttools dll, for the trail version, there should shown some text ask you to register the dll, but I did not see the registration text when viewing dwg files. So I am wondering if XnView MP use the cadsofttools dll or it use its own dll?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, vren (-:
vren wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 pmActually, I checked the installation folder of XnView MP, and did not find the CADImage.dll and those CS_xxx.dll. If XnView MP use the cadsofttools dll, for the trail version, there should shown some text ask you to register the dll, but I did not see the registration text when viewing dwg files. So I am wondering if XnView MP use the cadsofttools dll or it use its own dll?
Please download the latest versions of the “CAD Image DLL Plugin” (cadimageplugin.zip / cadimageplugin_x64.zip) and the “CS_DWG.DLL Plugin” (cs_dwg.zip / cs_dwg_x64.zip) from the official download page.

I don't know if XnView MP supports 64-bit plugins, so you might want to give the 32-bit versions of CADImage.dll and CS_DWG.dll a try first by extracting and copying them into the plugins subdirectory of your MP installation.

Let me know if this solves the issue!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@vren : Thank for for your tolerance of my attempt to help!

@XnTriq : Doesn't 32-bit XnView MP normally require 32-bit plugins and addons, and XnView MP 64-bit normally require 64-bit addons and plugins?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm@XnTriq : Doesn't 32-bit XnView MP normally require 32-bit plugins and addons, and XnView MP 64-bit normally require 64-bit addons and plugins?
That holds true for Ghostscript. Earlier versions of 64-bit MP didn't like 64-bit Photoshop-compatible filter plugn-ins, and AFAIK, there are no 64-bit versions of the I/O plug-ins and addons.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:30 pm
cday wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm@XnTriq : Doesn't 32-bit XnView MP normally require 32-bit plugins and addons, and XnView MP 64-bit normally require 64-bit addons and plugins?
That holds true for Ghostscript. Earlier versions of 64-bit MP didn't like 64-bit Photoshop-compatible filter plugn-ins, and ... [/url].
But as a general principle 32-bit software requires [i.e. can only interface with...] 32-bit plugins and addons, and 64-bit software can only use 64-bit plugins and addons? The earlier TWAIN problem was finally solved using special bridge interface software.

AFAIK, there are no 64-bit versions of the [url=https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/#addons]I/O plug-ins and addons
If that is true globally rather than in certain or even many cases, it seems a substantial limitation of the use of XnView MP... :(

I was aware that many options currently might not be available for 64-bit, but assumed that some at least were, even if there is at present no listing that indicates whether a particular format is supported in Windows 64-bit, Mac or Linux.
vren

Post by vren »

XnTriq wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:45 am Welcome to the forum, vren (-:
vren wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:07 pmActually, I checked the installation folder of XnView MP, and did not find the CADImage.dll and those CS_xxx.dll. If XnView MP use the cadsofttools dll, for the trail version, there should shown some text ask you to register the dll, but I did not see the registration text when viewing dwg files. So I am wondering if XnView MP use the cadsofttools dll or it use its own dll?
Please download the latest versions of the “CAD Image DLL Plugin” (cadimageplugin.zip / cadimageplugin_x64.zip) and the “CS_DWG.DLL Plugin” (cs_dwg.zip / cs_dwg_x64.zip) from the official download page.

I don't know if XnView MP supports 64-bit plugins, so you might want to give the 32-bit versions of CADImage.dll and CS_DWG.dll a try first by extracting and copying them into the plugins subdirectory of your MP installation.

Let me know if this solves the issue!
Thank you XnTriq!
Initially I thought the XnView MP reads dwg file with its own dll, but after some trial and error, I found out that it is not the resolution problem, as what XnView MP displayed is the thumbnail that embedded in the dwg file, even in the viewer window! It did not show the content of the dwg file, so there is no resolution to change! I would suggest to display a message in the viewer window to remind user to install the plugin, so to avoid the confusion.
If you use the CAD Image DLL plugin, it works the same way as in XnView, unregistered version has a low resolution picture with blocked text, unless you upgrade to get the registered version.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Sorry for the late reply, cday.
cday wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:14 pmBut as a general principle 32-bit software requires [i.e. can only interface with...] 32-bit plugins and addons, and 64-bit software can only use 64-bit plugins and addons? The earlier TWAIN problem was finally solved using special bridge interface software.
At least that's my understanding. But then again: I'm not a programmer.
cday wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:14 pmIf that is true globally rather than in certain or even many cases, it seems a substantial limitation of the use of XnView MP... :(
Pierre?

Thanks for reporting back, vren.
vren wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:47 amInitially I thought the XnView MP reads dwg file with its own dll, but after some trial and error, I found out that it is not the resolution problem, as what XnView MP displayed is the thumbnail that embedded in the dwg file, even in the viewer window! It did not show the content of the dwg file, so there is no resolution to change!
Exactly, natively (i.e. w/o plug-in), MP only supports viewing of embedded previews.
vren wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:47 amI would suggest to display a message in the viewer window to remind user to install the plugin, so to avoid the confusion.
Good idea!
vren wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:47 amIf you use the CAD Image DLL plugin, it works the same way as in XnView, unregistered version has a low resolution picture with blocked text, unless you upgrade to get the registered version.
There was a problem with the CadSoftTools plug-in and MP, but this issue is supposed to be resolved :-?

Although I don't own a registered version, the “CadSoftTools plugins Manager” allowed me to change the Maximum Width or Height to 10'000 pixels and more:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SoftGold\CS_Plugins]
"Size"="10000"

3DLamborgini.png