Support multicore CPUs

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

erikvanfelder

Support multicore CPUs

Post by erikvanfelder »

Hi. I use Xnview MP. For me is the best tool I ever had. I use it as a photografer. I made donations and I will do donations in the future. This tool is full of utility. It is COMPLETE. As a suggestion I want to write what this app needs. It doesn't need a desktop amenities elements; It doesn't need other utilities since it is very complete.

It needs instead some speed improvements. It is normal, now, that people buy CPU with more than 4 cores. For example I have an eight core CPU in my computer. As you see in the image attached XnView uses only one CPU. I have this CPU since it was born. I have bought it some years ago, years! Not months. Now it arrived the time to compile the Xnview app for multi-core-cpus. Especially during conversion. I select multifolders (and that is very useful thing!). Sometimes I select 1000 and 2000 photos for convertsion from 100%-jpeg to 89%-jpeg. For this job the time I have to wait is 25 minutes or more. And I am not talking of multi GPU. Sometimes people buy one GPU or more to speed up their works. For example I have TWO GPUs. Two NVIDIA GPUs. I use multiGPU to render video and 3D graphic in less time. I use software that uses OPENCL libraries and CUDA drivers.

My second suggestion is: don't spend time to increase tools in Xnview, try to compile it for multiCPU and multiGPU. Many thanks many thanks. :)
Attachments
Note please the CPU graphics in lower right side. There is only one bar for only one CPU.
Note please the CPU graphics in lower right side. There is only one bar for only one CPU.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Support multicore CPUs

Post by cday »

You are using XnView Classic?

The newer XnView MP has at least some support for multi-core processing, I believe, if not the priority is likely to be to add it to that program...
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Support multicore CPUs

Post by xnview »

yes, currently i check to use all core for batch convert
Pierre.