Catastrophe categories gone

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

viewfan

Catastrophe categories gone

Post by viewfan »

My categories all disappeared and the default ones are displayed; why that? My impression is the 64 bit version on Linux is very unstable… often weird behaviour. Where is the data base??? I just imported the one from linux config folder but the same…
I am shocked…
before that I had the problem of sticky tags (the ones with Strg+T)
How to get back the categories??? why are they gone???
the XnView.db has 2.1 MB … there must be something inside….. but it seems it's not reeded although I just imported it which is normally not necessary.
Is it possible that another program digiKam has caused this ???
I am using Version 0.91 64bit on Linux
viewfan

Re: Catastrophe categories gone

Post by viewfan »

I had to add folders in Katalog but there the number of images is less than before; it's the same as displayed in digikam. but before they were more.. it seems some database informations are lost, what is intruding in XnView.db??

All that happend after I had used the hibernate mode when XnView was open... and all that trouble is just since I use 64 bit System... before ever 32bit.. never any problem
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

The categories has disappear since last startup of XnView MP?
Pierre.
viewfan

Post by viewfan »

The categories has disappear since last startup of XnView MP?
After Hibernate Mode. I just reconstructed for Debian Forum on German (it might be not XnView Prob):

I had used a lot of Programs Virtuall-Box with Photoshop on WinXP, Xnview of cause with many pics in the RAM and others. So in brief the RAM (random access memory) was full and swap file probably used. The computer became very slow (have 4GB RAM). After some time I made a break and used Hibernate Mode.

Is it possible that the XnView.db was not in RAM anymore (but on swap maybe) and after resuming from hibernate the XnView.db was not written back to the RAM so that XnView could not access it anymore? ? :shock:
viewfan

Post by viewfan »

just two pictures came back to their categorys after reopen their folder.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

viewfan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am Is it possible that the XnView.db was not in RAM anymore (but on swap maybe) and after resuming from hibernate the XnView.db was not written back to the RAM so that XnView could not access it anymore? ? :shock:
I use SQLite for database, and it kept some data in memory before to write them
Pierre.
viewfan

Post by viewfan »

thanks Pierre
I use SQLite for database, and it kept some data in memory before to write them
I am not sure how to understand this:" ...before to write them" where?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

SQLite cache datas in memory, so the file is not written on each changes
Pierre.
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

xnview wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:37 am SQLite cache datas in memory, so the file is not written on each changes
That's not supposed to be true, unless you turn journaling off. From what I can tell, XnView does indeed turn journaling off (or keep it in-memory), which is likely a miniscule speedup in exchange for the high probability of a corrupted database and lost transactions.

WAL (Write-ahead log) is by far the most-recommended way to use SQLite except in cases where any storage access is a severe bottleneck and no faster alternative storage exists.