Zoomed Selection

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Digitaljan

Zoomed Selection

Post by Digitaljan »

When I make a Zoomed Selection, the wrong selection is selected. No matter what area I select it is generally a point in the bottom right hand corner that is shown on the navigation pane in the bottom right of the screen.
It used to work fine, suddenly it doesn't. Any ideas anyone?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Zoomed Selection

Post by xnview »

sorry but i don't understand, could you send a screenshot?
Pierre.
pez

Post by pez »

I'm having this same problem. It seems to be worst on large images that are zoomed out.

I'm on Windows 10, on a 4K hidpi display. I recorded video of the bug occurring:

https://youtu.be/TuA4w9LUD8o

I've also attached my xnview config ini.
Attachments
xnview.ini.zip
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me the picture file used?
Pierre.
pez

Post by pez »

Any large image does this. If you want a large image, this is the one I used

https://i.imgur.com/xIjMiDU.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pez wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 pm Any large image does this. If you want a large image, this is the one I used

https://i.imgur.com/xIjMiDU.jpg
sorry but the link doesn't work
Pierre.
FunkyB

Post by FunkyB »

I just had this issue too, on a UHD (4K) display laptop. Try going to Settings, View, and UNCHECK "Zoom on HiDPI screen: 1 image pixel equals 1 screen pixel." That stopped the problem for me. I'm using Version 0.96.5 64bits (Aug 17 2020).

Unfortunately, this workaround means that smaller images will not fill the whole viewer window without being zoomed in, so hopefully this can be fixed in a future update?

My Windows Display Settings Scale is set at 225%, in case that makes any difference (I doubt it because I didn't have the issue on a 1080p display scaled at 125%).

With Zoom on HiDPI UNchecked. Zoom works as intended. The image area in the viewer matches the area in the dotted box in the zoom box at the bottom right.
Zoom on HiDPI screen OFF.jpg
With Zoom on HiDPI checked. Look carefully at the zoom box at the bottom right - the area selected by the dotted line is all the way to the right of the picture but the viewer shows the left side of the picture. I can't move it any further down or to the right.
Zoom on HiDPI screen ON.jpg
FunkyB

Post by FunkyB »

I can confirm this happens on my Surface Pro 4 at work (not 4K but also a Hi DPI device). Unchecking the "Zoom on HiDPI..." box in settings fixes it on that machine, too.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

FunkyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:05 am I can confirm this happens on my Surface Pro 4 at work (not 4K but also a Hi DPI device). Unchecking the "Zoom on HiDPI..." box in settings fixes it on that machine, too.
So all is ok if unchecked?
Pierre.
FunkyB

Post by FunkyB »

So all is ok if unchecked?
Yes, as far as zoom goes it works fine if unchecked. The downside is that when viewing at the default zoom, images smaller than the resolution of the monitor don't fill the whole screen. I suspect that the issue isn't actually the dpi or dot pitch of the monitor itself, but rather something about that setting interfering with how zoom in works.

If it is possible for the program to ignore (or always treat as unchecked) that setting whenever the zoom is more than 100%, that would probably fix the issue. When zooming in manually to part of the image, I don't think you lose anything if the setting is disabled.
pez

Post by pez »

For me it's the other way around. The lasso-zooming works correctly when the box is checked.

However, this solution is unacceptable for me because then "View->Zoom->100%" doesn't render pixels at the correct 1:1 scale anymore. Instead, it renders at double scale. And unfortunately, it's impossible to bind a hotkey to 50% zoom.

If you could add a "cmd_zoom50" to the hotkeys then that would be a great workaround :)
pez

Post by pez »

Oh and, in case this helps: I'm using Windows 10's "150% scaling" (no idea what DPI that is) and I have "Fix scaling for apps" enabled in the advanced scaling settings.

I'm certain that XnView is rendering at double scale with the HiDpi setting checked in XnView because I can create a 1920x1080 image in Paint and it then fills up my 4K screen in XnView.