Pasting a selection into other programs works differently in XnView MP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

RNP

Pasting a selection into other programs works differently in XnView MP

Post by RNP »

I use very frequently XnView to get selected parts of a screen shot into a document of another application (e.g. Word, Powerpoint etc.).

For this I do the following steps under XnView classic: (a) I take a screeenshot using XnView, then (b) select an area of the shot by drawing a regtangle (but without cropping), the (c) do a CRTL C which copies the image in the rectangle which (d) I then repaste in a document of a different application (Word, Powerpoint etc.). This process ist fast and very efficient.

When I do the same in XnView MP it does not seem to work: Here (a) capturing a screenshot is not problem, (b) drawing a selection rectangle of the shot seems to work as well (but is different in apperance : everything outside the rectangle appears grey); I can also do CRTL C for copying my selection, but (d) when I then try to paste my selection via CTRL V in my Word or Powerpoint document, I get queer messages about format problems and I see nothing pasted.

For me it looks as if XnView Clasisc and XnView MP differ, and a useful functionality is no longer supported by XnView MP. Or did I do something wrong in XnView MP I am not yet too familiar with ?

Anybody has experienced this problem as well and can offer a solution ? Thanks for helping me out.

For the time being I'm reverting back to XnView Classic. :(

Ruprecht
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Pasting a selection into other programs works differently in XnView MP

Post by cday »

RNP wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:36 pm I use very frequently XnView to get selected parts of a screen shot into a document of another application (e.g. Word, Powerpoint etc.).

For this I do the following steps under XnView classic: (a) I take a screeenshot using XnView, then (b) select an area of the shot by drawing a regtangle (but without cropping), the (c) do a CRTL C which copies the image in the rectangle which (d) I then repaste in a document of a different application (Word, Powerpoint etc.). This process ist fast and very efficient.

When I do the same in XnView MP it does not seem to work: Here (a) capturing a screenshot is not problem, (b) drawing a selection rectangle of the shot seems to work as well (but is different in apperance : everything outside the rectangle appears grey); I can also do CRTL C for copying my selection, but (d) when I then try to paste my selection via CTRL V in my Word or Powerpoint document, I get queer messages about format problems and I see nothing pasted.

For me it looks as if XnView Clasisc and XnView MP differ, and a useful functionality is no longer supported by XnView MP. Or did I do something wrong in XnView MP I am not yet too familiar with ?

I've just tried with XnView MP [0.89, so not the latest version] and pasted successfully into Word 2010 and LibreOffice Writer and Draw, so I'm afraid that isn't much help... :wink:

Which program versions are you using, in case that is relevant? And what is the text of the error messages, in case that is useful?

Can anyone else reproduce the problem Ruprecht describes :?:

When I do the same in XnView MP ... (b) drawing a selection rectangle of the shot seems to work as well (but is different in appearance : everything outside the rectangle appears grey...

If you would prefer not to have the area outside a selection darkened, the following setting can be changed:

Tools > Options... > View -- View tab -- Show highlight selection
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Confirm the issue.
XnView MP Windows Version 0.98.2 64bits (Feb 19 2021)
Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (19042.867)

When I copy selected area into Paint it copies exactly that area.
But when copy it to another program, like Word or web browser, it copies whole the image. Or even the file with that whole image, for example it adds attachment in new email for Desktop Outlook, while I just want to insert that cutted area into email body.

The previous Classic XnView was much more convinient. The new one become heavier and it contain many reduntant visual features which I don't use.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

harpywar wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 am Confirm the issue.
XnView MP Windows Version 0.98.2 64bits (Feb 19 2021)
Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (19042.867)

When I copy selected area into Paint it copies exactly that area.
But when copy it to another program, like Word or web browser, it copies whole the image. Or even the file with that whole image, for example it adds attachment in new email for Desktop Outlook, while I just want to insert that cutted area into email body.
If you use 'Copy to clipboard>Image'?
The previous Classic XnView was much more convinient. The new one become heavier and it contain many reduntant visual features which I don't use.
which features?
Pierre.
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Yes I'm talking about copy selected area to clipboard (CTRL+C).

I mean features, like favourites, exif info, library, top gallery on full screen.May be it can be useful for other people, but I'd like fast viewer with several features like convinient selection with copy/paste, filters (it's very ok), and simple editing.
(BTW about editing. It would be really great to add ability to move inserted by CTRL+V image area until selection is not cleared. I often need to use Paint for this functionality.)

The main issues for me in the new version are:
- Noticeable lag on program start. The previous version was very fast. Because of that I wrote about reduntant features which may be responsible for that lag, even if I can disable all them in settings.
- Copy/paste issue, this is why I come here
- Hotkeys changes (mouse and escape) and Interface changes or rather additional elements added in full screen. It's not a big problem but first time it was very annoying until I figured out that it can be changed, and I spent some time for that.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

harpywar wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:11 pm Yes I'm talking about copy selected area to clipboard (CTRL+C).
It works if you use 'Copy to clipboard>Image'?
(BTW about editing. It would be really great to add ability to move inserted by CTRL+V image area until selection is not cleared. I often need to use Paint for this functionality.)
You means able to move the pasted image?
- Noticeable lag on program start. The previous version was very fast. Because of that I wrote about reduntant features which may be responsible for that lag, even if I can disable all them in settings.
Previous version, you means XnView Classic?
When opening a file from windows explorer?
- Hotkeys changes (mouse and escape) and Interface changes or rather additional elements added in full screen. It's not a big problem but first time it was very annoying until I figured out that it can be changed, and I spent some time for that.
yes, there is some changes between XnView Classic & XnView MP, but you can always configure them
Pierre.
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Oh, I realised, "Copy to clipboard" in the main menu, thanks. it's confusing, because CTRL+C is used for copy selected area everywhere.. I will switch hotkeys between CTRL+SHIFT+C for this function.
xnview wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:54 am You means able to move the pasted image?
Exactly.

xnview wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:54 am Previous version, you means XnView Classic?
When opening a file from windows explorer?
Right. There is a delay 1-2 seconds in MP version. The Classic started almost immediately.
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Looks like a bug. Hotkeys for the copy functions can not be re-assigned.
CTRL+C combination still does not work to copy selected image area and it displayed unchanged in the menu.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-10 11.48.29.png
Screenshot 2021-04-10 11.48.01.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

harpywar wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:02 am CTRL+C combination still does not work to copy selected image area and it displayed unchanged in the menu.
You have changed it in browser mode not viewer mode

xnview wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:54 am Right. There is a delay 1-2 seconds in MP version. The Classic started almost immediately.
Do you have a lot of files in the image's folder?
Currently i search, some users have a delay when starting MP
Pierre.
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Well, how to change it in view mode?

Delay on start always the same and it does not depend on how many files in a directory. I have nvme drive and new OS installed.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

harpywar wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:20 am Well, how to change it in view mode?
you have a menu box to change context
Pierre.
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Sorry, may be I have explained incorrectly, You can see behavior of the copy function in the attached video. For me, as for an ordinary user, it looks like unexpected behaviour.
I just want to change hotkey CTRL+C so it work in common way to copy only selected part of an image for all applications identically. What exactly should I do to reach this goal?

Also MP version cleans up clipboard buffer after closing the application. Can it be changed?
Attachments
xnview.mp4
(620.76 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please change context here
Screenshot 2021-04-10 11.48.01.png
Screenshot 2021-04-10 11.48.01.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
Pierre.
harpywar

Post by harpywar »

Thanks, I was able to change that hotkey in Viewer mode.

What about clipboard? My common scenario:
1. Open image (Xnview is set up to open images in full screen)
2. Select area to copy
3. Push ESC to close Xnview (I changed hotkey)
4. Go to any program to paste copied image.

It worked flawlessly in Xnview Classic.
Is there an option to not flush clipboard buffer on exit?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

harpywar wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:51 am What about clipboard? My common scenario:
1. Open image (Xnview is set up to open images in full screen)
2. Select area to copy
3. Push ESC to close Xnview (I changed hotkey)
4. Go to any program to paste copied image.

It worked flawlessly in Xnview Classic.
Is there an option to not flush clipboard buffer on exit?
if you copy an area in XnViewMP, when closing you can't paste it?
Pierre.