categories and IPTC: create, delete, search

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

MichaelP

categories and IPTC: create, delete, search

Post by MichaelP »

Hello!

I've assigned categories with XnViewMP 0.84 (Win XP). First without selecting "Create IPTC metadata" in Settings / Metadata. Later with this option.

Can I subsequently write all XnView categories into the IPTC metadata so that they are also available in other programs?
If there is no function for it: Can I make this by removing from category and then reassigning the category?
The XnView-category is written as a keyword in the IPTC metadata. However, if I remove from category in XnView, the IPTC keyword will not be deleted. How can I still achieve this?

Which images are included in the "Category Filter" ad? All of the entire hard drive? What happens if I rename or move a categorized image? Because: The "Category Filter" display sometimes lacks images or appears as a thumbnail. (Maybe they have been renamed or moved to another location.) How can they be redisplayed in the category filter in XnView? When I choose F5 "Refresh view", the images often appear twice: once as a normal miniature, once as a thumbnail.

Greetings from Michael
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: categories and IPTC: create, delete, search

Post by xnview »

MichaelP wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:41 pm Can I subsequently write all XnView categories into the IPTC metadata so that they are also available in other programs?
you have View>update files from catalog
The XnView-category is written as a keyword in the IPTC metadata. However, if I remove from category in XnView, the IPTC keyword will not be deleted. How can I still achieve this?
it should be, could you send me a sample file?
Which images are included in the "Category Filter" ad? All of the entire hard drive?
The image from folder s that you browse
What happens if I rename or move a categorized image? Because: The "Category Filter" display sometimes lacks images or appears as a thumbnail. (Maybe they have been renamed or moved to another location.) How can they be redisplayed in the category filter in XnView? When I choose F5 "Refresh view", the images often appear twice: once as a normal miniature, once as a thumbnail.
If you rename/move it in XnView, the catalog is updated
Pierre.
MichaelP

Post by MichaelP »

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately I dont understand all.
MichaelP wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:41 pm Can I subsequently write all XnView categories into the IPTC metadata so that they are also available in other programs?
you have View>update files from catalog
It doesnt work in my setting. I have tagged a picture with a category (in Tools>Settings>Metadata was XMP/IPTC deselected). There is no IPTC-entry: Correct. Then I selected the XMP/IPTC (4 Boxes) and displayed all pictures of the category and performed View> update files from catalog. The categories were not written in the IPTC keywords. Now I displayed the folder in which the image is included and did again View> update files from catalog performed. The categories have not been included in the IPTC keywords right now.
it should be, could you send me a sample file?
Further tests have shown: it works (mostly). Files of the last test kept the entries in the IPTC, even though the categories in XnView have deselected. Why ever.
Which images are included in the "Category Filter" ad? All of the entire hard drive?
The image from folder s that you browse
But XnView delivers the same amount of images, if I select only one folder with 2 photos or the root directory of the hard drive with thousands od photos.
Let me ask differently: How do I display images of a specific category from a single folder (and its subfolders)?
What happens if I rename or move a categorized image? Because: The "Category Filter" display sometimes lacks images or appears as a thumbnail. (Maybe they have been renamed or moved to another location.) How can they be redisplayed in the category filter in XnView? When I choose F5 "Refresh view", the images often appear twice: once as a normal miniature, once as a thumbnail.
If you rename/move it in XnView, the catalog is updated
Updating the catalog does not produce the desired result. (see hardcopy: There are some pictures thumbnails (an not able to open) and some double listed. How does this happen?) And how its possible to refresh the list?

Thanks for help!
Michael
Attachments
Xn-BilderDoppelt.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

MichaelP wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm you have View>update files from catalog
It doesnt work in my setting. I have tagged a picture with a category (in Tools>Settings>Metadata was XMP/IPTC deselected). There is no IPTC-entry: Correct. Then I selected the XMP/IPTC (4 Boxes) and displayed all pictures of the category and performed View> update files from catalog. The categories were not written in the IPTC keywords. Now I displayed the folder in which the image is included and did again View> update files from catalog performed. The categories have not been included in the IPTC keywords right now.
could you post a screenshot of settings>Metadata?
Let me ask differently: How do I display images of a specific category from a single folder (and its subfolders)?
Go to this folder, and select the category
Updating the catalog does not produce the desired result. (see hardcopy: There are some pictures thumbnails (an not able to open) and some double listed. How does this happen?) And how its possible to refresh the list?
do you have renamed/moved files in XnView?
Pierre.
MichaelP

Post by MichaelP »

Sorry there was a mistake in "subscribe/unsubscribe", so I got no message abaut your answer.
could you post a screenshot of settings>Metadata?
See below.
Go to this folder, and select the category
I opened the folder at the right tab. Then I go to the other tab "categories" an choose a category: ALL pictures of this category were displayed, not only these from the folder.
do you have renamed/moved files in XnView?
No. I use the Explorer or othe tools to rename. I'm looking for a refreshing-tool that updates the new folder-contents and image-tags in XnView.

Thanks for help.
Attachments
Metadaten
Metadaten
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Hello MichaelP
Now I displayed the folder in which the image is included and did again View> update files from catalog performed. The categories have not been included in the IPTC keywords right now.
You must select the set of images you want to update, beforee performing View> update files from catalog

If you want to repair the catalog with renamed photos or photos containing keywords, you can also 1)select thumbnails 2)View, update catalog from files
Sometimes, you must delete the line containing a folder in "tools, settings, catalog" and browse again this folder, to update catalog.
Can I make this by removing from category and then reassigning the category?
Yes, it's a way to update keywords in pictures.
Select a category in "categories filter" pane, then select all the pictures found, remove category, wait a short while, and reassign it.
When selected pictures are released, xnviewmp will update keywords.
How do I display images of a specific category from a single folder (and its subfolders)?
In categories filter, you must choose in "match" menu : global, Current folder, Current folder recursive (Übereinstimmungen )

Perhaps, you can get a translation of my help file with google translate (The link below )
MichaelP

Post by MichaelP »

michel038 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 pm In categories filter, you must choose in "match" menu : global, Current folder, Current folder recursive (Übereinstimmungen)
That was the "missing link"!
Perhaps, you can get a translation of my help file with google translate (The link below)
I think it will be answering some questions in future. It is an important help. Thanks for this and the concrete answers too.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Perhaps, you can get a translation of my help file with google translate (The link below )
Perhaps you can write it in English in Xnview's Wiki?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -