Newbie Guide impressions in XnViewMP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Henry-In-Florida

Re: Newbie Guide impressions in XnViewMP

Post by Henry-In-Florida »

XnTriq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:15 pm
Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pmMore like "Settings" (menubar)->Metadata.
Henry-In-Florida wrote: ↑Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:58 pm
What is the status of dev on a manual for MP version?
This seems to be the latest version: XnView (Windows) User Guide.pdf
Got it!

Henry
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

Computer Equipment: MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, Mojave (10.14.2), 250GB Internal SSD; on a Desktop with Dual Dell External Displays
External Storage: SSD RAID 1.5TB, 500GB SSD (via T3)
XnViewMP 0.93
Henry-In-Florida

Sorry but, reading an incomplete Windows User Guide for a different version of XnView is a definite drawback. Two chapters are missing. :(
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

Computer Equipment: MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, Mojave (10.14.2), 250GB Internal SSD; on a Desktop with Dual Dell External Displays
XnViewMP 0.93
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:32 amSorry but, reading an incomplete Windows User Guide for a different version of XnView is a definite drawback. Two chapters are missing. :(
Yeah, I just realized that this is not the draft I had in mind. Lots of files were lost when the Wiki was hacked. Let's hope I'll find it on an old HDD.
Henry-In-Florida

Re: Impressions on XnViewMP- Browser mode

XnTriq wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:00 am
Henry-In-Florida wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:32 amSorry but, reading an incomplete Windows User Guide for a different version of XnView is a definite drawback. Two chapters are missing. :(
Yeah, I just realized that this is not the draft I had in mind. Lots of files were lost when the Wiki was hacked. Let's hope I'll find it on an old HDD.
When was that? The date on the file is 1/19/2018. It's by Easy Software Products, v 1.28.27. It's copyrighted 2009.

Time for some brutal honesty, here. Sorry if this sounds overly critical.
  1. There are similar programs which use the Finder (in Mac OS) to locate and display the entire disk contents to select Media. XnViewMP has similar features. It's used to browse and likewise to others, has no feature to select and present just the Media Library folder(s) if they exist. Others however have a subset selection to show the desired Media Folders by themselves. That seems pretty simple to me. Here, it's a complicated maneuver. Using the Favorites feature is all that I could do. The selection (filtering) of individual files is NOT what I mean. Rather it is the ENTIRE STRUCTURE of folders/sub-folders and files I'm looking to isolate in the browser. Found no facility to do so.
  2. The MP program is a port of a previous Windows version to "MP" guessing Linux, means the GUI isn't quite right. The later ports for Mac seem like a nice move but didn't fix much.
  3. Features that seem necessary for users to find from the get-go in the migration from LR (a fairly polished app, in use for a very long time by professionals and amateurs alike) just seems inaccessible.
  4. There is no facility to open all sub-folders to the media and keep the media visible in the browser window. In the case of a LARGE file set it's problematic getting the thumbnails to appear each time. I tried loading up most of my library in one large set which proves unworkable. If I use just my smaller media sets it's a little better getting them to come up. The database seems to be meant to hold ALL libraries of RAW files.
  5. The filtering of those files to hide XMP, IPTC, EXIF sub-files seems flawed. Pointed out that it would be needed to filter and not display those files in the browser. The filtering you walked me through doesn't filter them out of the display (.xyz.xmp sub-extension not filtered as shown in earlier posts on this thread).
  6. The guide for beginners (lower case intended) by Roger (apparently, the only doc about this app build) is too basic.
  7. May I say that your documentation on XnViewMP is a mess. Searching for instructions for any of the issues above leads nowhere. Anyway, so it seems to me. The link to documentation doesn't cover the editions/version and navigating a Windows edition of another app proved more difficult than 'winging it'... Hacked or not, backups of the actual manual would have been nice.
Not able to achieve an acceptable display of the media when selecting a Favorite. Starting from an already organized library, XnViewMP doesn't give me what is needed at any kind of speed in Browse mode. Thought I gave it a good go. Expected too much from this app when migrating my libraries, it's not ready for even semi-pro use. Speed is essential after importing. Haven't gotten to importing into a Media Library. I may try that just for fun sometime. Giving up now.

Hoped for a DAM front-end solution with later integration of the editing and post-processing later on. Sadly, disappointed in what seemed the front end- ingest/viewer/media - e.g., the Browser. While this app is nice for experimentation, hobbyists, etc., given the years it has been around and the unproven potential it shows, it's simply not ready to use (for me). Sorry to say, I must be moving on. I'll check back from time to time, but this has been disappointing, giving the browser mode by itself a try.

Someone may want to take this forward to a useful point. Maybe my browser suggestions will help your next developer? Sorry to hear about the dev team. Needs new leadership?

Bye-bye for now.
Last edited by Henry-In-Florida on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

XnViewMP 0.93
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 amWhen was that?
In April of 2017 (I believe).

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 amThe date on the file is 1/19/2018. It's by Easy Software Products, v 1.28.27. It's copyrighted 2009, however.
PDF documents exported from MediaWiki are generated on demand by PdfBook which uses htmldoc by Easy Software Products.
Henry-In-Florida

XnTriq wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am
Henry-In-Florida wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 amThe date on the file is 1/19/2018. It's by Easy Software Products, v 1.28.27. It's copyrighted 2009, however.
PDF documents exported from MediaWiki are generated on demand by PdfBook which uses htmldoc by Easy Software Products.
No Wiki= no docs. Backup Wiki??
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

XnViewMP 0.93
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:00 amLots of files were lost when the Wiki was hacked.
I have to correct myself: There were/are backups, and Pierre was able to fully restore the wiki. The outdated manuals were eventually taken offline.
Henry-In-Florida

With a new version of XnView (0.93) come some new quirks. viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38494. I don't know if these existed in the previous versions or not. I started over from clean slate after a disappointing beginning.
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

XnViewMP 0.93