Newbie Guide impressions in XnViewMP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Henry-In-Florida

Newbie Guide impressions in XnViewMP

Post by Henry-In-Florida »

Hi All,

I've just recently downloaded the Trial version, running it on a MacBookPro (Mojave) and trying to organize recognize my existing Media Library used in Adobe Lightroom 6. I have several questions:
  1. First off, a question about the media. That Media Library is a hierarchical arrangement of RAW & Video Media ordered by general topic in a set of folders. The folders are organized by DATE (yyyy) folder and further by numerical Year+Month+Day (YYY-MM-DD) folder. Individual media in RAW usually will have an XMP file attached by the same name. Is there a handy way to display and work with the thumbnails (drilled all the way down from the base folder, e.g., "*Animals Media Library") WITHOUT showing the XMP file of the same name?
  2. Further, can adjustments to the file be made to that XMP+EXIF file as needed?
  3. I have watched the intro videos and looked through the Beginners instructions to get this far. My initial impression is that this is a serviceable database media manager that should do what I want. It is pretty deep so I'm asking for a few more pointers. The GUI could be more effective and also a better shot selection method and naming method on imports could be provided, apologies if those are already there but not easy to find.
    Last question. Is there a guide to file size and storage option for the thumbnails and EXIF data (if stored separately). I have varying size media files from 1000 - 20000 media per set and would like to organize the database as a similar arrangement to the media sets and on different drive.
Please let me know if all that is do-able.

Henry
Attachments
Screenshot of my starter layout
Screenshot of my starter layout
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Newbie Guide impressions in XnViewMP

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Henry :-)
  1. Please refer to the following topics for more information on how to configure MP for use with “companion” or “sidecar” files:
  2. ToolsSettings…MetadataIPTC & XMPUpdate or create XMP Sidecar
  3. The write-ups by fellow board member m.Th. on the Official XnView Wiki are highly recommended:
Henry-In-Florida

Hi XnTriq,

Thanks for the speedy response.

Some more pieces of information.
  • I see you are working on documentation for MP version, apparently. I could donate some time to help improve it, in lieu of payment for company use. Any interest?
  • What is the status of dev on a manual for MP version?
  • Does XnViewMP support any basic editing tools within it (Crop, exposure control, tagging, extracting a JPEG, etc.)? Care to elaborate whether these are on your development horizon?
  • I see you also have a iOS version. Any more info that one?
On another topic, if I may, on your forums where can I add a signature to my account/control panel. Could not find that one.

Thanks for your comments.

Henry
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pmI see you are working on documentation for MP version, apparently. I could donate some time to help improve it, in lieu of payment for company use. Any interest?
Please take note that all things “Xn-” are and have always been the work of a single independent developer. (I'm just a passionate user who's volunteering as a moderator.)

As far as I'm concerned, any help with regard to the documentation would be more than welcome! Past efforts for a community-driven manual were brought to a virtual standstill due to non-participation (mine included) some time ago.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pmWhat is the status of dev on a manual for MP version?
Ty, helmut and the late JohnFredC were the driving force behind the project.
XnTriq wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:45 am
Ty wrote:PPS. Hello to Helmut, XnTriq, JohnFred and all you other old-timers (and of course Pierre).
John is no longer with us. We lost him in March :-(
michel038 does a great job maintaining a French metadata tutorial of his own.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pmDoes XnViewMP support any basic editing tools within it (Crop, exposure control, tagging, extracting a JPEG, etc.)? Care to elaborate whether these are on your development horizon?
I'll get back to you on this one ASAP.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pmI see you also have a iOS version. Any more info that one?
There's an overview of all mobile apps on the main site and a dedicated support forum for Android & iOS apps.

On another topic, if I may, on your forums where can I add a signature to my account/control panel. Could not find that one.
As a spam counter-measure, newly-registered users (i.e. less than 10 posts) don't have permissions to edit their signature. Could you please give it another try?
Henry-In-Florida

XnTriq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm Welcome to the forum, Henry :-)
  1. Please refer to the following topics for more information in how to configure MP for use with “companion” or “sidecar” files:
  2. ToolsSettingsMetadataIPTC & XMPUpdate or create XMP Sidecar
  3. The write-ups by fellow board member m.Th. on the Official XnView Wiki are highly recommended:
The two files shown in my original post do not get filtered out from the displayed files list, because their full names are not purely XMP, rather they are: ".dng.xmp". The full file name is shown:
HMS_1990-12-10_Home_Cats_Jane_Bobalu_Ricky_2.dng.xmp

I did not see in your responses where the thumbnails can be saved to.

Also, in the Mac version, using the control function on the image, in order to show in the Finder, I discovered that it's mis-named as, "Open File Explorer" even though it does perform the expected action. Clearly a Windows or Linux hold over. For your bug list.

Henry
Henry-In-Florida

XnTriq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 pm
As a spam counter-measure, newly-registered (= less than 10 posts) users don't have permissions to edit their signature. Could you please give it another try?
Nope, still less than 10... Also I cannot partial quote, just cut & paste, which is fine. On some boards, you can multi-quote or partial quote.
Henry-In-Florida

XnTriq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm Welcome to the forum, Henry :-)
  1. Please refer to the following topics for more information in how to configure MP for use with “companion” or “sidecar” files:
  2. ToolsSettingsMetadataIPTC & XMPUpdate or create XMP Sidecar
Hi, XnTriq,

I like your handle!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pmThe two files shown in my original post do not get filtered out from the displayed files list, because their full names are not purely XMP, rather they are: ".dng.xmp". The full file name is shown:
HMS_1990-12-10_Home_Cats_Jane_Bobalu_Ricky_2.dng.xmp
Plaase add your comment to the discussion about “Companion / XMP files”. This will make it easier for Pierre to respond.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pmI did not see in your responses where the thumbnails can be saved to.
Is this what you're looking for: ToolsSettings…CatalogCatalog

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pmAlso, in the Mac version, using the control function on the image, in order to show in the Finder, I discovered that it's mis-named as, "Open File Explorer" even though it does perform the expected action. Clearly a Windows or Linux hold over. For your bug list.
Could you file a report in “English Translation”? Your input as a Mac user is greatly appreciated, especially since you're a native speaker.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:32 pmNope, still less than 10...
I've added you to the “Registered users” group. You should now have full access to all profile settings.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:32 pmAlso I cannot partial quote, just cut & paste, which is fine. On some boards, you can multi-quote or partial quote.
Yes, phpBB requires a lot of editing by hand.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:34 pmI like your handle!
Thanks! But apparently, I'm not the only one who goes by that name on the interwebs :-|
Henry-In-Florida

XnTriq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm [*]Companion File Handing in MP?[/list]
[*]ToolsSettingsMetadataIPTC & XMPUpdate or create XMP Sidecar
XnTriq,
More like "Settings" (menubar)->Metadata. Check the appropriate boxes. I will choose the option to add preceding extension. It did not solve my problem, however.

Henry
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 16.17.19.png
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

Computer Equipment: MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, Mojave (10.14.2), 250GB Internal SSD; on a Desktop with Dual Dell External Displays
External Storage: SSD RAID 1.5TB, 500GB SSD (via T3)
XnViewMP 0.93
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:
Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pmDoes XnViewMP support any basic editing tools within it (Crop, exposure control, tagging, extracting a JPEG, etc.)? Care to elaborate whether these are on your development horizon?
I'll get back to you on this one.
In case you haven't discovered it yet, XnView MP is both a powerful file browser and an image editor, with a wide range of editing tools available in the editor. To open an image in the editor, double-click on the file icon in the browser, or open it directly from File > Open... in the editor.
Henry-In-Florida

cday wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:01 pm In case you haven't discovered it yet, XnView MP is both a powerful file browser and an image editor, with a wide range of editing tools available in the editor. To open an image in the editor, double-click on the file icon in the browser, or open it directly from File > Open... in the editor.
No, cday, I hadn't explored that... Yet. Thanks!

Do you know of a way to link an external editor to open in XnViewMP as well (I use Affinity Photo, Lightroom)?

Henry
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

Computer Equipment: MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar, 8GB RAM, Mojave (10.14.2), 250GB Internal SSD; on a Desktop with Dual Dell External Displays
XnViewMP 0.93
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pmMore like "Settings" (menubar)->Metadata.
Right. I forgot that you're not on Windows.

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pmCheck the appropriate boxes. I will choose the option to add preceding extension. It did not solve my problem, however.
This issue's supposed to be fixed :-?
Hopefully the experts on working with metadata will eventually chime in. In the meantime, you could check out chapter 7 of michel038's tutorial (Google Translate) which provides loads of useful information on “sidecar or companion files”.

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 pmDo you know of a way to link an external editor to open in XnViewMP as well (I use Affinity Photo, Lightroom)?
In the Windows edition, it's ToolsOpen withConfigure programs…
Henry-In-Florida

XnTriq wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30 pm
Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 pmDo you know of a way to link an external editor to open in XnViewMP as well (I use Affinity Photo, Lightroom)?
In the Windows edition, it's ToolsOpen withConfigure programs…
I still don't see a way to show only the Media Files currently on my drives in the browser. So I worked around it and selected the folders with the media as favorites. That way they all show up in the favorites folder.

Also don't see a way to save the display the image files each time I select the set. thought that setting was saved in the Layout. Obviously it's not. So each time I open the favorites, I must select the "Show Files" tab and deselect the XMP files. What aren't they set in the layout?
Henry
- -
Henry-In-Florida

XnViewMP 0.93
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:46 pmI still don't see a way to show only the Media Files currently on my drives in the browser. So I worked around it and selected the folders with the media as favorites. That way they all show up in the favorites folder.
What are your settings in ViewFilter by?
  • Images
  • Videos
  • Sounds
  • Archives
  • All
  • Tagged file(s)
  • Custom *
* XnView allows you to specify which file types are included/excluded: Settings…File listCustom filter

Henry-In-Florida wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:46 pmAlso don't see a way to save the display the image files each time I select the set. thought that setting was saved in the Layout. Obviously it's not. So each time I open the favorites, I must select the "Show Files" tab and deselect the XMP files. What aren't they set in the layout?
You mean remembering sessions?