[Solved] Can I set a default save directory?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

lucmv

[Solved] Can I set a default save directory?

Post by lucmv »

Whenever I edit an image and "Save As" a different file, XnView will not save it in the same directory as the one that contains the original file. Instead, it will save the new file in whatever directory was chosen in the last time it saved any image at all.

That is very confusing. I am working from the file manager, open an image, edit it, save it with a new name, close XnView and... where is it???!!! Oh, yes, XnView thought it should save it somewhere I saved something else 5 minutes ago, or maybe yesterday or maybe last week. WHERE WAS THAT? Heck if I know.

So I have to reopen the file and "Save As" again just to find out where the new file has been saved.

Is there any way to change that behavior?

I run XnView on Linux. TIA.
Last edited by lucmv on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Can I set a default save directory?

Post by m.Th. »

This is standard OS behavior. At least on Windows it can be changed - the standard Open / Save dialogs have such property.

I see the implementation of this thing (IF necessary) via a checkbox somewhere in Tools \ Settings saying „Save As in the same folder with the original”. I understand that sometimes can be useful but, also, a normal workflow should have the directory unchanged, no?
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

m.Th. wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm This is standard OS behavior. At least on Windows it can be changed - the standard Open / Save dialogs have such property.

I see the implementation of this thing (IF necessary) via a checkbox somewhere in Tools \ Settings saying „Save As in the same folder with the original”. I understand that sometimes can be useful but, also, a normal workflow should have the directory unchanged, no?

I think the truth is that in some situations saving to the last used directory is useful (and having the path reset to a default directory is a pain) and in other situations saving to the default directory is what one wants.

I think ideally Save as... dialogues in general should include an option to 'Remember this setting' if it is technically possible...
lucmv

Post by lucmv »

I checked again and found it.

Settings -> General -> File operations -> For 'Save As,' use original pathname.

Sorry about that.

Marking as solved.