Unsupported *.raf images

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

herb

Unsupported *.raf images

Post by herb »

Hello Pierre,

on Exiftool forum I found the following post about Fuji cameras with IBIS http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/foru ... 815.0.html.

I downloaded the mentioned images and I have seen that XnViewMP 0.92 does show only a "black image" for https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleri ... 8968412635.

Please have a look at this "problem".

Thanks in advance
Herb
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Unsupported *.raf images

Post by xnview »

do you use embedded jpeg or full raw setting?
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

Problem with the file - is not with XnView MP.

Below is my message to Richard (Butler), DPReview's Technical Editor:

----------------------------------

Hi Richard,

Sorry for disturbing you.

Just a quick note about the raw file of the photo from

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleri ... 8968412635

It seems that the file is corrupted.

Facts:

All/most the raw files in that gallery are @45-50 MB - this one is @25 MB.

Someone else had the same problem:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=38428
(from where I start to investigate)

I downloaded more file from that category - eg.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleri ... 0090248310

...and while all files have the JPEG preview intact, the one above has the actual full size Raw data damaged.

In order to test it, you can download XnView MP from
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=37945

And open it on the folder in which you have the RAF files. You will see that all the thumbs are generated correctly.

If you will go in Full Screen mode (eg. by pressing F11) or in Edit mode (by double-clicking on the file), then:

1. If the program is set to read the actual Raw data, the after-mentioned file is shown as a black rectangle
2. If the program is set to read just the embedded JPEG then the program shows it correctly

This phenomenon happens only with the file in cause and not with other files from the same camera.

Hints:

1. You can change the reading mode between Full / Half Raw and Embedded JPEG in Tools | Settings | Formats | Read | Camera Raw (it is the first Drop-Down box at top, called "Use").

2. You can use the 2ndary monitor for Full Screen mode = check in Tools | Settings | Fullscreen the "Dual Monitor" checkbox.

3. The raw engine of XnView MP is based on dcraw, a widespread standard in this industry.

4. XnView MP, despite of its version number (no, I don't agree with the version number :) ) is a mature program, developed continuously and used by many users (disclaimer: I don't have any affiliation with the developer) for managing Raw files because (AFAIS) it has (one of) the fastest thumbnail generation, preview and Batch Convert engines available. Besides that, even if it isn't a Raw editor like eg. Lightroom it is much more scalable than it, hence the program was tested with many, many raw files till now.

Just my 0.02 cents & hoping this helps,

John Thomas
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

After a chat with Richard and updating my ACR it seems that indeed the problem is in XnView's dcraw - it doesn't support the compressed Fuji's RAW format while the old RAW is supported.

I can open the "black image" safely with the latest ACR version 11.1 while with my previous one - 9.2, I think - Adobe Camera Raw says (via Photoshop0 that it cannot recognize it.

See here the formats known by the latest ACR:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/c ... meras.html

Also, it seems that based on https://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ the latest (?) dcraw knows about this Fuji. Perhaps it is time for an update of dcraw?
m. Th.

herb

Post by herb »

Hello all,

@m.Th.: Thanks for your investigations.

Just another info: With libRaw 0.19.2 I can generate a *.tiff image from the mentioned file.

Best regards
Herb
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

In fact, the solution is simple: (If Pierre DOES NOT FORGET) it needs just a build with the new dcraw in the new (upcoming) version of Xnview MP.
m. Th.

herb

Post by herb »

Hello,

just to be clear:
- DCRAW 0.28 also generates a black image only
- but libRaw 0.19.2 generates a correct *.tiff image.

Best regards
Herb
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I use dcraw 0.28 already
herb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am - but libRaw 0.19.2 generates a correct *.tiff image.
I'll check libraw for raf
Pierre.
LorenzoF85

Post by LorenzoF85 »

Good evening, I write to get information about the .RAF files of my Fujifilm H1.
When I open the .raf file, the display is very "poor" even when compared with the corresponding .jpeg
I send a comparison to explain myself.
I stress that with .RAF files of other Fujifilm cameras, the phenomenon does not occur.
How is it possible?

Thanks
Lorenzo
Attachments
raffronto.jpg
phototweak

Post by phototweak »

This is also a problem for me in XNView Classic 2.50. Fujifilm compressed RAF files from an X-H1 display as black, unless I use only Embedded Thumbnail. Uncompressed Bayer RAF files display fully.